RMweb

OO Road Transport before WW1

Hello,

If we model the current scene we are lavishly provided with suitable road vehicles, even back to the 1930s there is a modicum of RTR available.  As I am developing a Pre-grouping layout I'm hoping for some guidance as to what is available? I have a couple of elderly Britains Farm wagons (Lilliput)  but can find little else. Any advice most welcome.

Regards

David.

• RMweb Gold

Osborn's sells a really nice hay wagon - https://www.osbornsmodels.com/arch-laseraloo-009--oo-scale-devon-farm-cart--draught-horse-38986-p.asp There are other horse drawn wagons in the range. The best looking horses are in the Dart Castings range, but everyone else appreciates that and you see them all over the place.

• Like 1

Nowhere near as much goods was transported over long distances; if you could source things locally you produced it locally, and unless you were exceptionally wealthy you only had access to whatever food that was in season or could be preserved.  Road traffic was generally over much shorter distances, especially when canals and then railways were available for loner hauls.

Traffic was not just horse drawn carriages and goods vehicles, but horse riding was also more common as a means of going further than one could reasonably walk, at least for those who could afford to keep a horse.  Drovers/farmers would drive sheep and cattle to market on their own feet.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

Don't forget that if you are modelling an urban area trams might be an option.

http://www.kwtrams.co.uk/product-category/oo-gauge-kits has anice range.

They also do some horse drawn items

http://www.kwtrams.co.uk/product-category/cars-lorries-people

Some of these moulds are rather old as I built some of these about 45 years ago.

• Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

There is also this Small Horse Cart, from Scale Model Scenery.  Just a satisfied customer, it does go together quite easily, but do the wheels straight onto the axles, and not the way they say.

Also, could you get away with a traction engine?  It depends on where you are modelling.  If you have photos of the area that would be a help.

(Rural carts varied from place to place, but you would be unlucky to get a 'farm cart rivet counter' to tell you your hay cart actually came from East Anglia, rather than deepest darkest Devon.)

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, ChrisN said:

There is also this Small Horse Cart, from Scale Model Scenery.  Just a satisfied customer, it does go together quite easily, but do the wheels straight onto the axles, and not the way they say.

Also, could you get away with a traction engine?  It depends on where you are modelling.  If you have photos of the area that would be a help.

(Rural carts varied from place to place, but you would be unlucky to get a 'farm cart rivet counter' to tell you your hay cart actually came from East Anglia, rather than deepest darkest Devon.)

They also do sets of cart wheels and springs which are handy if you want to make your own. One thing about that era was that many vehicles were made locally, some to 'county' designs and some just by local carriage and cart makers, so you can get away with fairly freelance designs. There are series of books of old photos with titles like 'Weston-super-Mare in Old Photographs'. They turn up in boot sales and charity shops* and are a useful source of reference, for the kinds of vehicles around in your layouts area.

*..or in the local history section of bookshops - if you are lucky enough to have one near you.

The Shire Albums series is also a good source of that sort of information.

Edited by phil_sutters
  • Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

This thread reminded me that down the back of the sofa (well actually on shelf behind my layout). I have this

20230918_131149.jpg.bd8a42205ff78dcddbe3b649dfb879c7.jpg

Found in a charity shop over 40 years ago. 

Details of a couple of the models

:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/kleeware-3-66-coronation-coach-and-hansom-cab--1225720

So dates from 1955 and to 1:87 scale.

20230918_131311.jpg.ce5a2e6959f886c56bbdce559e7dd8f1.jpg

This is the Coronation coach. 

A curiosity that I will probably never get around to building unless I get he urge to build a HO scale Wild West Layout.

Edited by MyRule1
typo
  • Like 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

Wow, that Kleeware kit looks amazing, Goes to show not everything that was available a few years ago was cheap and nasty. 

The instructions have a ring of AIRFIX about them. 

I have to plead guilty to being something of a 'Curiosity' hoarder! Quite recently my grandson opened a cupboard in the back of the garage (Previously I had plans/dreams of building a round the room layout) and discovered a hoard of untouched kits. Why I had purchased an 'Oil well with Derrik 60cm tall'  or a Tug boat I have no idea🤔. I'm pleased to say my grandson has found a use for them as well as at least eight or nine other assorted kits. none having any connection to model railways.

The things we are sure "Will come in handy one day" are I'm sure a source of amusement to others, but meant something at the time to us.

David.

• Like 3

Quick word of warning re scales - the Arch Laser and SMS products absolutely dwarf those from Dart and Langley. If possible, find someone who has one for a trial fit before you choose. I found it impossible to use them both on the same layout let alone the same scene. If not possible, I'll edit in a comparison pic, but might be a week or two's wait yet.

There was significant regional variation in wagons size (average load and average gradient being the considerations, to the best of my extremely limited knowledge), but the combination of manufacturers failed to convince.

HTH

• Like 1
  • Agree 1