Wakefield RMS 60th Exhibition - 30th September/1st October

Bagpuss

Just 2 days to the show. Layout descriptions have been posted on our website.

The society's new O gauge layout Eyemouth will be making its debut at the show.

Eyemouth2.jpg.f108ca1cc56175f967f377ebfdbd6ce7.jpgEyemouth6.jpg.3fdcacb34a1aa4026ba54d5ed02a163a.jpg

If you're feeling a bit less serious, how about the whimsical Emett inspired layout by Ray Clasper?

Emett1.jpg.974440af9e9161ddce4003129f9208e4.jpg

Not forgetting North Landing, a depiction of the never built Flamborough Head Tramway by our President John Farline.

cobleMaryFoutsideshed2.jpg.aa7406e8c798a56067abd897fb9cf3f2.jpg

Edited by Bagpuss
  • Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Just home from the show. Although not on the scale of former Wakefield shows, I enjoyed the visit and the Wakefield club is one that I have known people from for over 40 years and is well worth supporting.

The mix of layouts wasn't really to my taste but that is really down to my obscure choices and doesn't reflect on the quality. Layouts like Deadmans Lane are worth a look no matter what your own interests are.

If you like the more modern scene and plenty of diesels then there is some fine modelling on show. I can't recall a general club show that had no layouts representing the BR steam era, the LNER, LMS, SR or the GWR before.

There are a few oddities like light railways, the LMR and suchlike but of the "mainline" type layouts, two are pre-grouping and the rest from the last 40 or so years.

The highlight for me is Eyemouth. Pre-grouping NBR (with a slightly out of period LNER interloper standing in until another loco is built) it is a lovely layout and ticks all my personal boxes.

If you are going tomorrow hoping to make some purchases from Squires, they are not there, having gone home last night after a disagreement.

Wakefield club have had a difficult time with shows, venues etc. recently and I was happy to go along to put my £9 in the kitty to support them. The show seemed well attended today and I hope it is the same tomorrow.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I too was happy to support the Wakefield club in exchange for £9, and enjoyed my visit today.

It was a shame that Squires weren't there, I had my shopping list prepared, but hey ho.

Highlights for me, for a variety of reasons - Boomerang Lane, Burnroyd Works, Deadman's Lane and Downtown USA.

Also, a grateful thanks to the helpful chap from Normanton & Pontefract RMS, who invited me behind the barriers to show me the finer detail and construction of his Box Hill Depot and similar Box Hill Crossing and Box Hill Cement layouts.  You did much to rekindle my imagination and enthusiasm for building a realistic layout in a small space.  Thanks very much.  

• Like 3

• RMweb Premium

My first visit to the Wakefield show since 2019 and it was well worth the short trip down the M1 (although I did miss having a ride on the miniature railway).

Thank-you to everyone involved with running it!

• Like 1

Scary when I think this is one of my local shows and have been to a fair number of them at Unity Hall, QEGS, Thornes Park and back to QEGS.

There will always be those who say that there was too much/not enough of era, scale, gauge, country.  We have a broad hobby and there are exhibitions/clubs for each of these fetishes. 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
3 hours ago, AMJ said:

Scary when I think this is one of my local shows and have been to a fair number of them at Unity Hall, QEGS, Thornes Park and back to QEGS.

There will always be those who say that there was too much/not enough of era, scale, gauge, country.  We have a broad hobby and there are exhibitions/clubs for each of these fetishes. 

I am not sure that my interest in obscure periods of history and railways counts as a fetish and I am not sure that there are shows that cater for my tastes!

I knew what was at Wakefield before I went and I still went and enjoyed my visit. As I said, commenting about there not being much there that matches my interests says more about me than it does about the show, which I described as being good quality and worth supporting.

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

On behalf of the Deadmans Lane team, thank you to all those that stopped by for a chat.

Also - a big thankyou to Stephen, Chris and the rest of the Wakefield club for making us Lanky visitors welcome.

• Like 1