Low relief/ ultra low relief station buildings?

Does anyone know of any low relief or ultra low relief station building kits?  I'm building essentially a micro layout that's 3ft x 9in in N. The station building will go at the farthest left hand end as you look at the layout. 

What I am after is a low relief station building that adds physical dimension at a depth of about 20 or 25mm, with a flat texture of the rest of the building behind it. 

I have looked around and, I have to say, I'm a little disappointed with what I've found so far. Checking the traditional names such as Metcalfe only offer up full relief models, with little in the way of low relief stations. I have looked on scale model scenery, and other vendors of similar nature to no avail. 

I did find a low relief laser cut wood kit of a station in N on Ebay, however I'm not sure it's of true proportions!

Does anyone know of any kits or is this really looking like a scratch build necessity?  If the latter, which brands of texture sheets and windows, doors, etc, would people recommend? 

Many thanks. 

• RMweb Gold

What period is your layout? What style of building do you want to use? How do the station buildings relate to the platform(s)? Is the building to be at the back of the layout, with the platform in front, or across the end, with the platforms at right angles to it, parallel with the back of the layout? Are the platforms going to have canopies? Modern buildings with flat roofs are easier to make low relief, than those with sloping roofs. Art deco ones like some of the Southern Railway or London Underground ones are also good from that point of view.

22 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Why don't you try to adapt a downloadable station kit? There are several makes around. Scalescenes has a good reputation and has kits scaled down to N. This is one small station example https://scalescenes.com/product/r003-small-station-building/

This has crossed my mind, but I feel that it would require editing and use of graphics editors or photoshop (or equivalent), which at this moment I can't as my PC is out of action. 

11 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

What period is your layout? What style of building do you want to use? How do the station buildings relate to the platform(s)? Is the building to be at the back of the layout, with the platform in front, or across the end, with the platforms at right angles to it, parallel with the back of the layout? Are the platforms going to have canopies? Modern buildings with flat roofs are easier to make low relief, than those with sloping roofs. Art deco ones like some of the Southern Railway or London Underground ones are also good from that point of view.

Timescale is between circa 1953ish to 1968ish. Going on the fact that station branding would have been consistent at this time,  as the corporate image took some time to roll out post 66. Region most likely to be Midland. If you look at my layout thread,  link in sig, the station building will be facing the track and will be situated on the left hand side as you look at the front....

2 hours ago, phil_sutters said:

Here's an example of a station facing along the tracks at right angles to the platforms. It has a nice flat facade with a canopy in front.

Saddle tank Peckett no 2000 North Woolwich Old Station Museum Apr 1996.jpg

.... akin to this. 

Thanks for replying btw.

• Friendly/supportive 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 20/09/2023 at 23:21, Leicester Thumper said:

This has crossed my mind, but I feel that it would require editing and use of graphics editors or photoshop (or equivalent), which at this moment I can't as my PC is out of action. 

You should be able to accomplish reducing the depth with a pencil, rule, and modelling knife to cut a chunk off a low relief building. No need for editing the graphics on a computer.

• RMweb Premium

You can do the same with Metcalf kits.  The backscene on my 00 layout comprised a Metcalf factory building modified by making the sides and ends into a building front about 5mm deep. All you need is a steel rule, sharp knife and imagination.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1