The 'Hymek Swansong' Railtour - 22nd September 1973

Halvarras

A postscript - 'Just before they were famous'!

On 8th September 1973, two weeks before its starring role leading the 'Hymek Swansong' railtour, I caught D7001 in fuzzy condition (!!) approaching Didcot North bound for Paddington. It looked like it could do with a little TLC:

730908_D7001Didcotnorthnp.jpg.9b95be76a87d10029a49ef2516a8e1d6.jpg

And it certainly received that:

730922_D7001Worcester.JPG.2d74dc8366c1daf8838656e49e391225.JPG

[Incidentally according to an old 'Modern Railways' magazine I used to possess - September 1963 issue I think - this Hymek was the first of its type into Cornwall, recorded crossing the Royal Albert Bridge on a freight on 1st May 1963 - over 20 Hymeks were still to be delivered at that date.]

D7028 had received a full repaint at Old Oak Common in early August 1973, seen here at Bristol Temple Meads on the 11th:

730811_D7028BristolTM1.jpg.d671dc741288b92e23ec5a3fd420c016.jpg

And again same location on 15th September (and probably on the same working), one week before railtour duty called - it must have received an ends-and-sides clean-up for that:

730915_D7028BristolTMnp.jpg.02b6b9561d34416fa13450fc9fb3a933.jpg

And finally, during the stop-over at Didcot I had to take a photo of Warship 821 'Greyhound', by then in failing light. It had arrived there under its own power light-engine on 24th May, no doubt surprising a few spotters along the way:

730922_D821Didcot.jpg.44fd1cf8a2f5c2a1fb3e68eff9d4e6bf.jpg

It's interesting to think now that this was the first mainline diesel locomotive preserved by an individual, and around the time I took this pic what was to become the first such loco preserved by a group, D7017, passed by the other side of the fence on the left. In 2009 or 2010 I rode the West Somerset Railway behind these two machines working in tandem and the significance of the event wasn't lost on me. But sometimes I reckon I just overthink things 🤪!!

• Like 16

• RMweb Gold

Great narrative and photos thanks for sharing. The Hymeks were well thought of at Worcester and were stalwarts of the Cotswolds line ably supporting and supported by NBL warships and those Brush type 4 thingies. We won’t lower the tone of the occasion by mentioning the Type 2s from the same stable. 

Double headers? Of course there was a Bromsgrove banking pair. But for working a train there’s the Cardiff Tidal - Soho Pool tanks which would double up in the early days of the class if the load required it. There’s a Michael Mensing picture of a pair at Norton junction on this train.

And of course it’s the Severn Valley diesel gala next weekend …. Lots of oil sloshers …. D1015/62, D821/32, D9551 and D7076 working, D1013/48 and D7029 on display. What a shame D7017/8 couldn’t make it but there may even be banking out of Bridgnorth. Will be there on the Wednesday weather depending as it’s the last week of the trout tickling season…

Happy days! 

Edited by Phil Bullock
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

There was a spin-off from participating in this tour - I went on the WR's mailing list for future events, and decided to join a few of them:

3/11/73 - Lambourne Valley Farewell - 9-car WR DMU Newbury as far as Welford Park, a few runs up the rickety trackwork on a very dull day. Not many people ever passed under the recently completed M4 motorway near Welford by train.....in fact not many trains went under it!

4/5/74 - London Outer Circle Tour - 10-car WR DMU (one 3-car set included one of the three WR Class 101 trailers), Paddington - Paddington via a variety of stations. The only photo I took was of the train with a couple of EMUs at Fenchurch Street, IIRC the only station the train stopped at - it's a strange railtour photo because there's not another human being in sight! Not being into track mileage accumulation this one proved to be of limited value to me personally (I copped 3 Class 08s, 73106 and 37265 a rare non-WR green TOPS 37) but it served to illustrate how rapidly the loco fleet had been renumbered mainly during March/April - of the c80 locos seen (excluding Westerns) only four 08s had  not yet received their TOPS numbers and one of those, black-liveried D3052, was withdrawn. Probably the most unexpected sight of the day was 47401 (ex-D1500) on Willesden DED......must have forgotten where Kings Cross was!

27/9/75 - Paddington to the two South Devon preserved lines, Paignton - Kingswear first, then Totnes - Buckfastleigh (my notes say these were named Torbay Steam Railway and Dart Valley Railway respectively at that time). Advertised as Western-hauled (hooray!) - waiting to board at Reading the approach of D1022 looked encouraging but that veered off and went to Birmingham and we got 50033 instead! Disappointing but it survived the day intact, if you know what I mean. A full rake of BR blue/grey coaches into Buckfastleigh required a bit of forward planning by the railway - pannier 1638 was held at Staverton to haul us back as the train blocked all pointwork at the terminus!

22/5/76 - Paddington to Paignton behind 31416 + 31419, I got on at Newbury (I had a car to get there by then) and off at Teignmouth for what to date has been my one and only walk along the seawall to Langstone Rock, on which I was standing when my last-required Class 50, 50034, passed by heading west - result!! A pity the weather was overcast and Westerns thin on the ground but it was still a memorable day. 

So one per year, I don't recall that being a deliberate plan but in any case a year later I was no longer in a position to participate in such tours as I was to spend a couple of years off the British mainland, during which time my life changed considerably......!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Halvarras said:

There was a spin-off from participating in this tour - I went on the WR's mailing list for future events, and decided to join a few of them:

3/11/73 - Lambourne Valley Farewell - 9-car WR DMU Newbury as far as Welford Park, a few runs up the rickety trackwork on a very dull day. Not many people ever passed under the recently completed M4 motorway near Welford by train.....in fact not many trains went under it!

4/5/74 - London Outer Circle Tour - 10-car WR DMU (one 3-car set included one of the three WR Class 101 trailers), Paddington - Paddington via a variety of stations. The only photo I took was of the train with a couple of EMUs at Fenchurch Street, IIRC the only station the train stopped at - it's a strange railtour photo because there's not another human being in sight! Not being into track mileage accumulation this one proved to be of limited value to me personally (I copped 3 Class 08s, 73106 and 37265 a rare non-WR green TOPS 37) but it served to illustrate how rapidly the loco fleet had been renumbered mainly during March/April - of the c80 locos seen (excluding Westerns) only four 08s had  not yet received their TOPS numbers and one of those, black-liveried D3052, was withdrawn. Probably the most unexpected sight of the day was 47401 (ex-D1500) on Willesden DED......must have forgotten where Kings Cross was!

27/9/75 - Paddington to the two South Devon preserved lines, Paignton - Kingswear first, then Totnes - Buckfastleigh (my notes say these were named Torbay Steam Railway and Dart Valley Railway respectively at that time). Advertised as Western-hauled (hooray!) - waiting to board at Reading the approach of D1022 looked encouraging but that veered off and went to Birmingham and we got 50033 instead! Disappointing but it survived the day intact, if you know what I mean. A full rake of BR blue/grey coaches into Buckfastleigh required a bit of forward planning by the railway - pannier 1638 was held at Staverton to haul us back as the train blocked all pointwork at the terminus!

22/5/76 - Paddington to Paignton behind 31416 + 31419, I got on at Newbury (I had a car to get there by then) and off at Teignmouth for what to date has been my one and only walk along the seawall to Langstone Rock, on which I was standing when my last-required Class 50, 50034, passed by heading west - result!! A pity the weather was overcast and Westerns thin on the ground but it was still a memorable day. 

So one per year, I don't recall that being a deliberate plan but in any case a year later I was no longer in a position to participate in such tours as I was to spend a couple of years off the British mainland, during which time my life changed considerably......!

I'd imagine 47 401 was at Willesden for tyre turning.

Cracking topic - I only have to glance at a Hymek photo and I can hear the Maybach idling away to itself furiously! D7001 and D7028 would definitely have been tried out in mult at Old Oak in preparation for the tour, probably the day before when they were both cleaned, this would have been done by the shed turn crew, most likely inside the Pullman Shed where they had a bit of peace and quiet to get on with it under cover.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Rugd1022 said:

I'd imagine 47 401 was at Willesden for tyre turning.

Cracking topic - I only have to glance at a Hymek photo and I can hear the Maybach idling away to itself furiously! D7001 and D7028 would definitely have been tried out in mult at Old Oak in preparation for the tour, probably the day before when they were both cleaned, this would have been done by the shed turn crew, most likely inside the Pullman Shed where they had a bit of peace and quiet to get on with it under cover.

I wonder if they had any concerns about the MU equipment working properly after years of disuse. The day before might have been a bit risky! Mind you Beyer Peacock tended to do a 'proper job' so perhaps when connected up it just worked first time.

I assume the two locos would have had to have been powered up to check this, in which case 'peace and quiet' would be a relative term with a pair of Hymeks, especially if under cover 😉! That glorious engine noise was another reason these were (are) my favourite machines.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Halvarras said:

I wonder if they had any concerns about the MU equipment working properly after years of disuse. The day before might have been a bit risky! Mind you Beyer Peacock tended to do a 'proper job' so perhaps when connected up it just worked first time.

I assume the two locos would have had to have been powered up to check this, in which case 'peace and quiet' would be a relative term with a pair of Hymeks, especially if under cover 😉! That glorious engine noise was another reason these were (are) my favourite machines.

Baring in mind that the chaps in the Factory at Old Oka would have had experience with re-instating the multiple working gear of some of the Warships a few years before they would have been on top of the job, I'm sure.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, teeinox said:

Hymeks working in Multiple!

Thank you for giving me an excuse to buy another to go with the single one I already have.  It will be in green, though.

Oh yes, at least one of them just HAS to be in green!

I was going to say you can never have too many Hymeks, but I suppose you can...........if you have 102 of them 😆!

1 hour ago, Rugd1022 said:

Baring in mind that the chaps in the Factory at Old Oka would have had experience with re-instating the multiple working gear of some of the Warships a few years before they would have been on top of the job, I'm sure.

Good point, can't argue with that logic 👍!

• Like 1