Please use M,M&M only for topics that do not fit within other forum areas. All topics posted here await admin team approval to ensure they don't belong elsewhere.

Layouts with TV or film references

Listerboy

• RMweb Gold
On 22/09/2023 at 21:53, Pete the Elaner said:

I have built a model of Fawlty Towers for my London based layout. I know it was based in Dorset but the real building was in south Buckinghamshire & Andre's restaurant (from Gourmet Night) was in Harrow. It will go on top of a tunnel, which is useful because if I get a derailment, I will be able to remove the building & the land it is on, rather than the entire tunnel.

I also have a rake of dark green wagons which I intend to brand as Hawletts & fill with Ballast. Anyone who has seen the 1957 film Hell Drivers will understand that.

Torquay is in Devon not Dorset.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

I'm sure the worthy folk at the MRC would say otherwise, but I can't help thinking that the entirety of Copenhagen Fields is a homage to The Ladykillers.

maxresdefault.jpg.f17c36f61a206f1d401f8cb6fb1951d6.jpg

I know the house isn't modelled, but I think a couple of references to the film are included. I wonder if that location would have been chosen without the film, though.

• Like 4
  • Agree 1

Quite a lot of Eastenders references went in to our Walford inspired layout for the Great Model Railway Challenge. Thread here:-

https://www.rmweb.co.uk/topic/138423-walford-towers/#comment-3332091

spacer.png

Walford East station, Albert Square, well known  businesses under tha arches, the Queen Vic pub with animated customer being ejected, bus crashing in to the market, dirty den's body floating in the canal while Rowley the dog looks on, the caff and minimart, Doctor Leg's surgery and a completely to scale 'Walford Towers' tower block and lots more.

The research was hard enough - but getting hold of an undergound train in the timescale was real hell. I think that the team did well to capture the spirit.

p.s. the tower block appears in 'Auf Weidersehn Pet' and 'A Clockwork Orange' too, perhaps an idea for another day...

Edited by Signalist
  • Like 4

• RMweb Premium
On 22/09/2023 at 16:54, 009 micro modeller said:

It was a golf club I think, which ironically burnt down in the end.

Woburn Green Country Club.  Not sure it was an ever a golf club.  Later a disco/night club.  Burnt down regrettably and a number of houses built on the site.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 24/09/2023 at 18:18, MarkSG said:

a tardis on the street, complete with flashing blue light (and yes, it is a tardis in this context, because the location and timespan is wrong for a working police box),

The Doctor (or the Tardis making its own choices) certainly seems to like railway stations. Just spotted a Tardis on the Yorkshire Dales railway, just 44 seconds into this video.

• Like 2

Al Turners WW2 German N gauge layout "THE BRIDGE AT REMAGEN" is a homage to the film of the same name and features cameos linked to other films, such as "The Dam Busters" and "Ice Cold in Alex"  He is also planning a cameo based on "The Great Escape"

Edited by TEAMYAKIMA
  • Like 1