Farnham & District MRC Annual Exhibition 14th & 15th October 2023

jbe

The Farnham and District MRC will be holding its annual exhibition at its usual location, Alderwood Leisure Centre, Tongham Road, Aldershot, GU12 4AS on Saturday 14th and Sunday 15th October 2023.

Saturday 10:00 to 17:00. Sunday 10:00 to 16:30.

All on one level for easy disabled access.

Adult £8.00, Child £2.00, Family (2 adults and up to 4 children) £18.00 Show guide included in price. Free car parking

Refreshments will be available from about 09:30 on both days.

Here is a list of the 21 layouts attending:

• Abergavenny Blackbrook (P4, Newport MRS)
  • Arun Quay (0 fine scale, Gordon Gravett)
  • Collingwood (00, Simon Paley)
  • Copper Wort (00, Peter and Julie Goss)
  • Dawlish Warren (N, Chris Martin)
  • Drws-y-Nant (2mmFS, Nigel Ashton)
  • Freshwater (2mmFS, Ian Morgan)
  • Hazelbury Junction (00, Farnham & District MRC)
  • Haydon Square (0, Farnham & District MRC)
  • Kingsfield (00, Barnhill MRC)
  • Kinmundy (EM, Southampton MRC)
  • Launceston Steam Railway (009, Richard Holder)
  • Lego Town (L, Robert and Andrew Ankers)
  • Newvadden Parkway (N, Redruth MRC)
  • Old Parrock (00, Paul Rhodes)
  • Rainbow Rock (Gn15, Charlie Fox-Wilson)
  • Rossiter Rise (00, Terry Tew)
  • Rushven (00, John Noorani and Joe Marsella)
  • St. Etienne-en-Caux (H0e, Charlie Insley)
  • Titherleigh (00. Liphook & District MRC)
  • Woodhead (N, Gary Atkinson)

For more details, see: https://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=102

There will be also be  a good selection of traders and other stands, listed here: https://farnhammrc.org.uk/?page_id=170

Julian

Edited by jbe
  • Like 2

• jbe changed the title to Farnham & District MRC Annual Exhibition 14th & 15th October 2023
  • RMweb Premium

Looking forward to it; many layouts I've not seen before and others I have but will gladly see again.  Always a good selection of traders (including some of my favourite kind, the ones who have trays to rummage in.......).

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

If anyone's planning to use the A3 to get to the show, there's a full closure of the A3 at the M25/A3 junction for bridge replacement from 9pm Friday 13 to 5.30am Monday 16 October.

Closure information:

The A3 will be closed northbound from the B2215/A247 exit at Ripley to the M25 junction 10.
    The A3 will be closed southbound from the M25 junction 10 to the A247 at Burntcommon

Diversion information:

Drivers heading south will be diverted via M25 to junction 9 and use the A24, A246 and A247 to join the A3 at Burntcommon. Non-motorway traffic will be taken off the A3 at Hook and use the A243 to pick up the same diversion via A24 at Leatherhead.
    Drivers heading north over the full weekend closure will be diverted via A247, A246, A24 and M25 to junction 9. Non-motorway traffic will continue along the A243 and join the A3 at Hook. (ULEZ restrictions will not apply to drivers using our official diversion).

https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=1j0gDOyGErOVI54Bbuf7nngogjjj2iUg&ll=51.28557753700376%2C-0.479453456975949&z=12

Mark

• Thanks 3

Mark,

Thank you for the information on the A3 closure. The only thing I would add is, f you are coming around the M25, consider using junction 12 for the M3, then along to M3 junction 4 and down the dual carriageway A331 towards Aldershot.

Julian

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

• RMweb Premium

Thanks to all the organisers for an excellent show, as always.  The only downside for me was discovering after five minutes that my camera battery wasn't charged....  Thank goodness for the quality of mobile phone cameras.

Several very good layouts I hadn't seen in person before and I should probably have spent less time rummaging on the trade stalls (found a few useful odds and ends and a real bargain loco on the Society stand), to admire all the layouts for longer.  It's a good job the show ended at 1630 or I could still be standing and staring in awe at Arun Quay now.

Talking to one of the traders, it sounds like Sunday was much busier than Saturday.  As costs are going up across the board - obviously the school has to cover heat and lighting cost increases - I sincerely hope the FDMRC are able to keep running this show; with the REC Woking show no more, this is one of the few remaining local ones.  Some others not so far away, are within the ULEZ...... 

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
On 15/10/2023 at 20:18, Northmoor said:

this is one of the few remaining local ones.  Some others not so far away, are within the ULEZ...... 

Basingstoke in March? Alton in February? Slough this coming weekend?

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium
7 hours ago, Ian Morgan said:

Basingstoke in March? Alton in February? Slough this coming weekend?

Agreed, but Aldershot and Woking are closer and the REC show at the latter is no more.  Basingstoke show last year was excellent and to be honest I'm happier with fewer, better shows; pre-pandemic there could well have been too many exhibitions with too few really good layouts to go around (I would never say so to the operators, but have seen some very ordinary layouts at shows over the years).

Here is part one of a series of films I've made interviewing layout operators and seeing some of the layouts at this year's show.  In this episode, I interview Terry Tew,  builder of Rossiter Rise, and I find out what show managers look for when seeking layouts.  

Hope you like it!

Dawn

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1