Picture location help required

I stand corrected and convinced. blush_mini.gif Thanks robertcwp.

Indeed , G.A. Pryer's 'Track Layout Diagrams of the S.R.' show Farnham as a five road shed, as from 5/37. I mis-read the Google Earth view as showing it with four.

In the Waterloo area 'Track Layout Diagrams' it shows the Durnsford Road carriage shed as being six roads (2x3), and the EMU depot having fifteen (5x3).

Apologies for my confusion.

Regards.

Are the track diagrams dated? It might give a clue as to when the 4-road carriage cleaning shed was built at Durnsford Road.

Are the track diagrams dated? It might give a clue as to when the 4-road carriage cleaning shed was built at Durnsford Road.

Hi robertcwp.

The earliest diagram is dated 1898, showing just the western, Wimbledon Park, carriage sidings, 23 in all, running parallel to the main line with 2 head-shunts & 3 loops following the curve of the Putney line. Noted (drawn hatched), with the date of the Gas Works sidings taken out of use and land cleared / laid out for the 1914 built, Electric Train Depot, given as 21/12/1913.

The next diagram is dated 1918. This shows the sidings reduced to 21, with the Carriage Cleaning Shed in situ, covering roads 15 to 20 (North to South), with road No.19 (shed road No.5 ?) running through the shed, and terminating just outside.

No date of introduction given, possibly the same as the Electric Train Depot, 1914?. The diagrams, being simplified, do not show two separate sheds i.e. 1 x 4 road + 1 x 2 road, but it does depict the north side (2 road) as being longer.

Road No.21 ran alongside, and roads 22 & 23 were used to serve the Electric Train Depot and the Power House. The Staff Halt came into use 6/1928 with the signal box closing on 17/5/1936.

The fly-over and changed direction of travel also came into use on 17/5/1936.

The diagram for 1937 shows the Durnsford Road Electric Train Depot and Power House and track, taken out of use on 4/11/1972 with the only alteration to the Wimbledon Park carriage shed being the shortening of road 15 (shed road No 1?) within it.

The final diagram on the subject, 1976, shows the layout of the new East Wimbledon EMU Depot and berthing sidings, opened on 22/2/1976. The carriage shed's track layout has, again, been altered, with the through road now shortened to end within the building. Again, with no date given.

I think that the only definitive answer to the question, is to gain access to some OS maps covering the period.

Possibly available in the local library.

Regards.

G T Moody mentions in 'Southern Electric 1909-79' that an additional shed and extension to the existing sheds at Durnsford Road were provided in connection with the Portsmouth electrification, on which services began in 1937.

Hi agi'n.

It could possibly be that the accomodation for the Portsmouth electricfication was added to the Durnsford Road Electric Train Depot (later EMU depot & later still. re-located Traincare depot) and, as G.A.Pryer's 1918 / 1937 diagrams show 2 extra sidings were added in C.1930. close to, and alongside the depot's SE wall, with 3 others spaced further apart. The nearest of these could have been, subsequently. roofed over ?.

P.S.

I still think (gotta nagging feeling) those trees look too near in the pic., given that there were 14, or so, siding + Putney tracks on the other (North side) of the Wimbledon Park / Durnsford Road carriage cleaning shed.

As always, I've gotta'nother nagging feeling,.... I could be wrong.

Regards.

Archived