Picture location help required

• RMweb Premium

A recent purchase from that auction site has included a few uncaptioned slides....does anyone have a clue where these might be

13seot.jpg

50039 Implacable with a short train of Mk1's.

Plymouth North Road Many thanks.

135avv.jpg

Deicer 015 but where is the shed? Effingham Jct?

Durnsford Road sheds, replaced in 1974 by the new Wimbledon depot

13seqy.jpg

'The Long thin drag' railtour at Leicester?

Leeds

TIA

Andy

Agreed it's Rue Nord but a down service on platform 7?

Or did it push the train from Penzance?

Wally

Seeing as it's one of the Penzance - Plymouth local rakes from about 1987 I'd say the loco has merely run round. All the through platforms are bi-directional anyway so it doesn't matter which one they use.

.... and I don't think that the bottom one is Leicester (the signals are wrong for Leicester) but I can't offer an alternative.

I'm struggling with that one, looks like the fourth coach might be on a bridge or underpass span.

Definitely not Leicester, the canopy looks about right but there are no through roads there. Looking at the itinerary on six bells junction there aren't many places it could be. Maybe Leeds?

East end of Leeds, as the tour had a long break there while the train went off to Neville Hill for refuelling.

Here's two of my shots in roughly the same location:

The tour about to head off to refuel

post-6971-127857726091.jpg

a DMU just after that, showing the same style gantries

post-6971-12785772627.jpg

The SR shed is Effingham Junction.

No it isn't. I have checked the photo of the Effingham Junction shed in the Middleton Press book and it looks completely different. It is more likely to be somewhere such as Selhurst, the old Durnsford Road Wimbledon sheds or Strawberry Hill, but I can't find a photo to confirm at present.

• RMweb Premium

No it isn't. I have checked the photo of the Effingham Junction shed in the Middleton Press book and it looks completely different. It is more likely to be somewhere such as Selhurst, the old Durnsford Road Wimbledon sheds or Strawberry Hill, but I can't find a photo to confirm at present.

Fairly sure it is not Selhurst. Vaguely possible that it is Shoreham but I would think more likely to be up in the suburbs.

36E

Pic. No.2- Farnham (The Sand Pit) ?.

Fairly sure Shoreham never had an EMU shed. The nearest being West Worthing or Brighton, and it's neither of those.

• RMweb Premium

Pic. No.2- Farnham (The Sand Pit) ?.

Fairly sure Shoreham never had an EMU shed. The nearest being West Worthing or Brighton, and it's neither of those.

Absolutely right. Apologies I meant Littlehampton!! It's my age I'm afraid!:blink:

36E

The EMUs are in the old Durnsford Road sheds, replaced in 1974 by the new Wimbledon depot. They are in the shed on the extreme left looking from the main line. This was accessed via a sharp curve. Most photos showing the depot were taken from the Durnsford Road bridge over the main line and do not show this shed. However, the edge of it is visible in plate 30 of Diesels and Electrics on Shed Vol 5 Southern Region (OPC) and the bomb-damaged sheds are shown on page 39 of the Ian Allan book 'This is Waterloo' published in 1981.

The EMUs are in the old Durnsford Road sheds, replaced in 1974 by the new Wimbledon depot. They are in the shed on the extreme left looking from the main line. This was accessed via a sharp curve. Most photos showing the depot were taken from the Durnsford Road bridge over the main line and do not show this shed. However, the edge of it is visible in plate 30 of Diesels and Electrics on Shed Vol 5 Southern Region (OPC) and the bomb-damaged sheds are shown on page 39 of the Ian Allan book 'This is Waterloo' published in 1981.

Hmmm..... Looking at available, pre - 1974 pics at hand. The extreme Durnsford Road, LH Shed was a 3 Road shed, as was it's nieghbouring RH shed, which was set further back. Unlike the 4 road shed in the pic, both the Durnsford Road sheds had prominent front columns / supports, with thicker side walls. Im not convinced.

Regards

Hmmm..... Looking at available, pre - 1974 pics at hand. The extreme Durnsford Road, LH Shed was a 3 Road shed, as was it's nieghbouring RH shed, which was set further back. Unlike the 4 road shed in the pic, both the Durnsford Road sheds had prominent front columns / supports, with thicker side walls. Im not convinced.

Regards

You are not looking at the shed on the extreme left. There was another 4-road shed to the left of the two three-road ones with the columns between the roads. The left-hand 4-road one also had a slightly lower roof. This 4-road shed does not appear on most photos. Try looking at page 39 in 'This is Waterloo' and you will see what I mean. The edge of the shed appears in the Diesels and Electrics on Shed photo I referred to in my previous post.

Thanks Robertcwp,

I should have paid more attention. I'll have to delve deeper. I'm sure I've got a pic of Farnham (entrance to) shed, somewhere ??. Maybe another one of Durnsford Road ??

Regards.

Thanks Robertcwp,

I should have paid more attention. I'll have to delve deeper. I'm sure I've got a pic of Farnham (entrance to) shed, somewhere ??. Maybe another one of Durnsford Road ??

Regards.

Farnham is a 5-road shed. A good photo appears in the Middleton Press book Woking to Alton.

On that de-icer, my 1977 Ian Allan EMU book has 015 and 019 with a pencil note allocated to Wimbledon, and the 1978 book has a pic of 019 outside what appears to be the same shed as the photo.

Which all supports Robert's post.

The pencil allocation notes were 011 BI, 012 FR, 013 SU, 014 GI, 015 WD, 016 GI, 017 BI, 018 SU, 019 WD, 020 BI. By the 78 book, 012, 017, 019 had been withdrawn as the newer ones numbered 004-006 came into service.

The Durnsford Road EMU depot of 1915 originally comprised a 6-road maintenance shed and a 9-road inspection shed. A carriage cleaning shed was added in 1917 on the site of sidings. I think this is the shed in the photo. The whole lot disappeared in the 1970s when the new depot was built. The numbering fits this as a photo in another book shows the left-hand inspection roads numbered 11, 12 and 13. If the maintenance roads were 5-10, then 1-4 would be the carriage cleaning shed, looking from left to right.

The Durnsford Road EMU depot of 1915 originally comprised a 6-road maintenance shed and a 9-road inspection shed. A carriage cleaning shed was added in 1917 on the site of sidings. I think this is the shed in the photo. The whole lot disappeared in the 1970s when the new depot was built. The numbering fits this as a photo in another book shows the left-hand inspection roads numbered 11, 12 and 13. If the maintenance roads were 5-10, then 1-4 would be the carriage cleaning shed, looking from left to right.

To correct this slightly. The cleaning shed was added in the 1930s, not 1917. The maintenance sheds and part of the inspection shed were also extended towards the main line. I think this might have been linked with the Portsmouth electrification.

The best photos are in the Middleton Press book Lines Around Wimbledon (which I forgot I had), including an aerial shot taken prior to construction of the cleaning shed and a shot from 1973 which confirms the location beyond doubt.

I stand corrected and convinced. blush_mini.gif Thanks robertcwp.

Indeed , G.A. Pryer's 'Track Layout Diagrams of the S.R.' show Farnham as a five road shed, as from 5/37. I mis-read the Google Earth view as showing it with four.

In the Waterloo area 'Track Layout Diagrams' it shows the Durnsford Road carriage shed as being six roads (2x3), and the EMU depot having fifteen (5x3).

Apologies for my confusion.

Regards.

Archived