Using a TCS UWT wireless controller to replace a Powercab

Tallpaul69

Can the TCS UWT wireless controller be used to replace a Powercab wired controller in a layout control system? I assume I would need to connect some sort of receiver unit into the socket in the NCE unit that the Powercab currently plugs into?

The Powercab is only used for loco control, accessories such as points and signals are conventionally controlled by switches and pushbuttons on a Mimic diagram.

Any help gratefully received! However, please keep the explanations simple, do not bombard me with Tecspeak, I am not a DCC expert!

Cheers

Paul  

Yes,  but you need some sort of network connection device, as well as a WiFi network (home router, or cheap stand alone device if you prefer).    It doesn't replace the PowerCab (the primary Powercab has to stay connected unless you've upgraded the system to a SB5 or PowerPro, but you can leave the Powercab handset on a shelf and not touch it).   The TCS UWT would provides an additional wireless handset.   

There are two main network connection options for an NCE system: 

a)   The WiFiTrax adaptor for NCE systems.    This costs under £80  (eg. Coastal DCC) .     I believe its a good device which is able to be properly configured to use all the features of the TCS wireless controllers - setting meaningful names to functions for each loco, having a list of loco names in a roster,  controlling which keys are latching or non-latching, etc.. etc..   (whereas the similar-ish WiFi adaptors from Digitrax or MRC/Gaugemaster lack the advanced configuration options).  

b)   A computer interface onto the NCE system (from NCE), and a computer running JMRI for it's WiThrottle server.   That computer can be almost anything, an old laptop, or a £50 Raspberry PI.    Being a computer, all the advanced configuration options are present.   

For the non-techie,  (a)  may be simpler.      I prefer the look of the TCS UWT-50  over the 100 model.  

And I think its a way better solution, and less money,  than the other option you've been discussing.    If you really need more Amps, just add a booster, the NCE "smart booster" might be a good option.  

Edited by Nigelcliffe
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thanks for your informative reply.

So does my shopping list for a 5 Amp system looks like this:

UWT 50                   £230

Wifi Trax                      80

Router                         20

DB5                             170  

Total                        £ 500

If so, it may be a better (in what respects?) solution than the DCC Concepts unit, but I don't see it as cheaper?

Cheers,

Paul

37 minutes ago, ColinK said:

Haven’t DCC Concepts just announced something that will do what you want.

Yes, they have, but many people on RMWeb, think it is expensive!

I have two threads on the go (the other one is titled DCC Concepts ESP Aegis), trying to get hard facts rather than theory or prejudice! 

Hope you can contribute?

Cheers

Paul

1 hour ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Thanks for your informative reply.

So does my shopping list for a 5 Amp system looks like this:

If so, it may be a better (in what respects?) solution than the DCC Concepts unit, but I don't see it as cheaper?

Cheers,

Paul

1)  You don't need to buy it all as a one-off.   Do you really need 5Amps ?  Not many layouts actually need 5Aamps.   So don't buy the DB5 until you show you need it. 

2)  "better" in these areas:    a) TCS handset works on any WiThrottle equipped layout, not tied to NCE for future, or visiting other layouts.  b)  TCS handset with batteries inside is way nicer than NCE handset with dangly lead to battery box carried in a pocket or hung on a belt (that lead is going to get caught on things),    c)  TCS throttle is nicer to use than a NCE handset.  d)  TCS throttle fully customisable with function names, whether functions are latching or not, on a per-loco basis  (this is really useful for sound locos).

3)   One option is available, known to work.    Other option is advertised for release in 2024, nobody knows if it works. 

This does cross to the other thread:
Roco Z21:   several ways, but a "Z21 professional" from DCC Train Automation is a one source solution of Z21, wireless WLanMaus, router, power supply £490.   (I think I could do it cheaper, try Scograil for the Z21, then add the other parts...).   A second WLanMaus would be about £120 (sell a PowerCab to fund it), or alternatively (better?) use a laptop or a smartphone or tablet as second device. 

Or much cheaper, but a little bit DIY:    DCC++Ex;   about £100 to £150 for complete system of command station, and 5Amp drive board, and WiFi module.    Add TCS UWT as required, or a phone/tablet as throttle(s).   

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

35 minutes ago, Nigelcliffe said:

1)  You don't need to buy it all as a one-off.   Do you really need 5Amps ?  Not many layouts actually need 5Aamps.   So don't buy the DB5 until you show you need it. 

2)  "better" in these areas:    a) TCS handset works on any WiThrottle equipped layout, not tied to NCE for future, or visiting other layouts.  b)  TCS handset with batteries inside is way nicer than NCE handset with dangly lead to battery box carried in a pocket or hung on a belt (that lead is going to get caught on things),    c)  TCS throttle is nicer to use than a NCE handset.  d)  TCS throttle fully customisable with function names, whether functions are latching or not, on a per-loco basis  (this is really useful for sound locos).

3)   One option is available, known to work.    Other option is advertised for release in 2024, nobody knows if it works. 

This does cross to the other thread:
Roco Z21:   several ways, but a "Z21 professional" from DCC Train Automation is a one source solution of Z21, wireless WLanMaus, router, power supply £490.   (I think I could do it cheaper, try Scograil for the Z21, then add the other parts...).   A second WLanMaus would be about £120 (sell a PowerCab to fund it), or alternatively (better?) use a laptop or a smartphone or tablet as second device. 

Or much cheaper, but a little bit DIY:    DCC++Ex;   about £100 to £150 for complete system of command station, and 5Amp drive board, and WiFi module.    Add TCS UWT as required, or a phone/tablet as throttle(s).   

Thanks Nigel for your detailed reply, particularly the Z21 stuff. Below are my thoughts on your posting:-

1) possibly not, but I was trying to compare like with like- the DCC Concepts unit is 5Amp. Unfortunately, you cannot buy 3 amp on anything!

2)  a) TCS handset works on any WiThrottle equipped layout, not tied to NCE for future, or visiting other layouts. - Sorry, Withrottle is Greek to me?- don't foresee visiting other layouts or exhibiting!

b)  TCS handset with batteries inside is way nicer than NCE handset with dangly lead to battery box carried in a pocket or hung on a belt (that lead is going to get caught on things),  -Agreed

c)  TCS throttle is nicer to use than a NCE handset. - Have to take your word for that - might see if anyone has one I can try on the 14th at the GETS

d)  TCS throttle fully customisable with function names, whether functions are latching or not, on a per-loco basis  (this is really useful for sound locos). Not sure this is of use to me- sounds like a lot of data entry for little reward, buy my locos are mainly sound fitted!

3) Agreed!

Z21

I will follow up on this-also sounds Greek to me at the moment!

DIY

No thanks- Sounds too hands on for me! Might have done 40 years ago when I built an FM tuner from a kit!

I want to be able to talk to someone to solve my problems on a known system- don't want to spend my precious time fault finding my doggy soldering or poor connections. Prefer everything tidy in a case!

Thanks for your help,

Cheers,

Pauli

8 hours ago, Tallpaul69 said:

.....So does my shopping list for a 5 Amp system looks like this:

6 hours ago, Nigelcliffe said:

1)  .........So don't buy the DB5 until you show you need it. 

Sorry to chip in, but that's the wrong booster chaps.

You can't use a DB5 ton its own to upgrade a PowerCab to 5 amps.

It's a "dumb booster".

The one you want is the SB5 SmartBooster, which also replaces the "Command Station" as well as the "Booster" functions, contained inside the PowerCab handset.

A DB5 would only be of use (and possible), if you wanted to add more power districts in addition to the output of the SB5 + PowerCab set up.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

7 minutes ago, Tallpaul69 said:

Thanks for the correction...

Does use of the SB5 mean I don't need to leave a NCE hand set plugged in while I am using a wireless controller?

Best regards

Paul 

Yes.

The PowerCab needs to be plugged in at all times when used on its own.

That's because the handset contains the full DCC system - the Command Station and Booster.

Unplug it and the system shuts down, with no power going to the tracks.

Track power comes from the Booster in the handset and is only routed via the PCP.

The SB5 replaces both the Command Station and Booster functions in the handset, which just becomes a throttle (like the ProCab handset), with the other functions bypassed.

That allows you to unplug the PowerCab handset while the DCC system continues to function and provide track power.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1