Commissioning?

I've been thinking about some models I'd like to print which currently don't have anything available online. I've got the rudiments of 2D and 3D CAD under my belt already, but some things are just beyond the ken of most mortals (for example, the curvature on the bonnet of a Warship) and I feel might be better outsourced to those with the skills to whip that kind of thing up very quickly.

Is there anyone here who takes commissions for models and part-models? If not, is there a known-good place to ask for tenders for that kind of work? With no context of my own - what kind of cost are we talking for say, the cab of a diesel loco? 

I would keep plugging on with the new skills you are getting. It’s only been in the past few months that it has started to come together for me. Every day it seams I am learning new skills with the software I am using(Designspark mechanical). As an example today I managed to produce a steam dome complete with a flare to suit a saddle tank. I know several of you out there are saying that is just a simple operation but when you have never done it it does become an achievement. There is always a solution to most things. For me it’s been watching various YouTube videos and adapting the process to my model requirements.

Keith

Edited by KeithHC
Grammer
  • Like 4

10 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I've been thinking about some models I'd like to print which currently don't have anything available online. I've got the rudiments of 2D and 3D CAD under my belt already, but some things are just beyond the ken of most mortals (for example, the curvature on the bonnet of a Warship) and I feel might be better outsourced to those with the skills to whip that kind of thing up very quickly.

Is there anyone here who takes commissions for models and part-models? If not, is there a known-good place to ask for tenders for that kind of work? With no context of my own - what kind of cost are we talking for say, the cab of a diesel loco? 

costs will depend entirely on how much work you have already done, if you have decent accurate 2d drawings the costs will be a lot less than getting someone else to do the reserch first before doing the modeling , you also need someone who can take the design and turn it into something that will look in scale and 3d print, I've been 3D CAD modelling for 30 years now feel free to PM me 

Depends on the scope and budget really.

I really wanted a Bagnall 0-6-0 diesel loco - one of a number procured by NCB Western area for Staffordshire in the latter 1950s. The Bachmann "Drewry" was an ideal mechanism (wheels, wheelbase etc) so I approached James Hilton (Planet Industrials) and agreed a plan with him. He has designed a mixed media kit of a 3D printed core bodyshell with etched doors, window frames, buffer beams, steps etc, to marry to the Bachmann mechanism. The project is nearly complete for me, after which James will offer the kit on a very limited one-off run through Planet Industrials. I am really pleased with the photos James has sent me, so anyone considering such a project might want to contact him, but only if serious. Please don't waste his time

Edited by Covkid
  • Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Thank you for the replies - I think there is definitely merit in @KeithHC's suggestion to work on my skills. For example, I'm almost certainly going to try to draft up the fuel tanks and cab interior fittings and ease myself into the process -  but having just got myself a printer I don't want to then spend the next six months figuring out modelling software before I print something I've been pining after. 

@Covkid and @DGO -I found a few people on fiverr.com who have quoted £50-75 for a diesel cab including revisions and physical prototyping. I was able to provide accurately dimensioned drawings and reference photographs. I'm quite happy with orthogonal components as I've done a good deal of that already, but no way do I want to fart around with compound curves at this early stage.

• Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Lacathedrale said:

I want to fart around with compound curves at this early stage.

Depending on the software, it can be surprising how simple a seemingly complicated process can be!  Similarly, it can be surprising sometimes how  difficult (if not impossible) a seemingly basic operation can be. Not necessarily due to lack of skills but just because the  particular software programme may not "work like that".

Definitely just get stuck in and play around. It just takes a bit of time but its amazing how quickly you can acquire the skills.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

On 09/10/2023 at 00:49, Lacathedrale said:

but having just got myself a printer I don't want to then spend the next six months figuring out modelling software before I print something I've been pining after. 

My suggestion would be to draw something you require, such as a wagon or platform furniture that can be drawn quickly, and print those first. You will still be learning the software, and the intricacies of the printing processes, and gaining experience.

I was getting frustrated with learning Fusion 360 about 6 months into learning it's nuances, so drew this 1 ton shed crane one afternoon, the first picture is a failure, because of trying to print things too thin. The second is after some minor modifications. no clean up done too either onther than supports removed.

goodsshedcrane1ton.JPG.3c25170b07b6653bb588d0b9543eda2e.JPG1tonGoodsshedcrane.JPG.4377ff188d9f3bb5fc1a5e511209345d.JPG

• Like 8

• RMweb Premium

Stick with doing it yourself. I started in March 2019. First goes here.

image.png.d9f0a8a39c8b90a7e8b3b4b96b9cba1c.png

The latest things I am doing are these:

image.png.7d5350a490d11be889ff5e4cc458c81f.png

If you do little and often, it gradually gets to the point where you can add all the parts up and suddenly there is a whole loco there!

Great fun. And then you get exactly what you want yourself!

Cheers, Ian

• Like 6
  • Agree 2
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5
  • Round of applause 1

17 hours ago, ianmaccormac said:

Stick with doing it yourself. I started in March 2019. First goes here.

image.png.d9f0a8a39c8b90a7e8b3b4b96b9cba1c.png

The latest things I am doing are these:

image.png.7d5350a490d11be889ff5e4cc458c81f.png

If you do little and often, it gradually gets to the point where you can add all the parts up and suddenly there is a whole loco there!

Great fun. And then you get exactly what you want yourself!

Cheers, Ian

These look excellent Ian

• Agree 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, woko said:

These look excellent Ian

Many thanks Rob! May be pulling some of your wonderful Billinton 6 wheel carriages soon, amongst other earlier ones!  Cheers, Ian  - well the G class maybe!

Edited by ianmaccormac
  • Friendly/supportive 1