Heljan 00 gauge Class 33 speaker recommendations

steveb860

I have a Heljan 3441 33025 Sultan which I wish to install with DCC sound. This is the more recent upgraded body shell version. Previously I used a replacement battery box / fuel tank speaker enclosure from DC kits to house a speaker, but these appear to no longer be available, so my question is, what speaker have people used inside their 33's as space is very limited. I intend to fit a legoman sound decoder. 

Cheers, Steve.

8 minutes ago, steveb860 said:

what speaker

I bought decoder and 'extra base' speaker from Road and Rails. Sounds fine. Have a look on R&R website and under Class 33 you will see what is recommended.

On a previous Class 33 I used the fuel tank for a speaker without any kit parts, just drilled some holes in bottom. That works fine too!

Edited by KeithAnthony
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Yes we do, this speaker is not actually a 'Bass Reflex' thus our description.

https://www.dckits-devideos.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=223_75&product_id=383

I have just done a Class 27 and fitted it with 2 x Sugar Cube Speakers (The ones that come with ESU decoders) wired in Parallel and it sound quite good too, and as I had them sat about, they cost me nothing!!!  Just remember to seal the housing kit which comes with them.

Wiring Speakers in Parallel.png

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I fitted a Digitrains ALZ 23x20x8 (8ohm) speaker in the fuel tank (facing upwards) and a YouChoos 18x13x7 (8ohm) speaker above the PCB - wired both in parallel. This produces a decent bass led engine sound without muffling sounds such as horns.

The decoder is a Loksound V5 blown with Jamie Goodman’s excellent sound file. Roads & Rails has a video on YouTube of the Heljan Class 33 featuring this sound file - worth watching and comparing against the Legomanbiffo sound file.

• 4 months later...
8 hours ago, Soul Survivor said:

Yes, there is room to fit an ESU sugar cube inside the loco - but only built up to 7mm high.

From way back when the current ESU LokSound version was the 3.5, and needed 100 ohm speakers, I was fitting two 25mm round speakers in a Heljan class 33: one in the loco body, with a severely cut-down sound chamber, angled down towards the bogie tower, and one in the fuel tanks with holes drilled in to let the sound out (as also mentioned by Keith). The sound chambers were sealed properly, and the volume reduced to compensate for having them in parallel, but this was still more than loud enough, and the two slightly differing sound chambers contributed to the depth and richness of the sound.

Of course, with LokSound 4 and 5 decoders, or Zimo for that matter, there are many more suitable speakers available in the 4 and 8 ohm range, including the sugar cubes mentioned by Charlie. You could also look at the range of speakers available from Roads and Rails, with several variations on bass enhanced types and also some iPhone and tablet speakers for tight locations. That's not to mention the better (and improved) sound quality from the current decoders and from the suppliers of the sound projects.

Edited by SRman
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Yep

A 20mm x 20mm sugar cube speaker from Roads n Rails does the trick

I have two Class 33’s with them fitted and they sound great

Besides that, room is very limited under the shell and i would be surprised if you could get anything any bigger under there anyhow, it’s tight, but do able with the above

Edited by DevilsAdvocate