The Irish scene

Horsetan

Have been watching this manufacturer over the last few months. Lots of useful new items seem to be coming on stream of late, and some of them (the colour-light signalling bits especially) may have applications on UK rail or other countries, not just Ireland.

Click here for website

I'm tempted by the "V" class kit, but I dunno..... Must....resist.....

• RMweb Gold

Have been watching this manufacturer over the last few months. Lots of useful new items seem to be coming on stream of late, and some of them (the colour-light signalling bits especially) may have applications on UK rail or other countries, not just Ireland.

Click here for website

I'm tempted by the "V" class kit, but I dunno..... Must....resist.....

Go on, you know you want to! ;)

SSM certainly have been busy lately and there's more on the way... including their first diesel loco kit!

• RMweb Gold

I do like the look of those Bredin corridor coaches, thing is I've never built a kit like that before and am pretty hamfisted at the best of times. :rolleyes: Might start off with something a little more simple and work my way up to them. Just need to read Coachmann's blog to get some tips! The S class 4-4-0 is tasty, I just never liked that GNRI blue livery, the philistine that I am!

• RMweb Gold

I do like the look of those Bredin corridor coaches, thing is I've never built a kit like that before and am pretty hamfisted at the best of times. :rolleyes: Might start off with something a little more simple and work my way up to them. Just need to read Coachmann's blog to get some tips! The S class 4-4-0 is tasty, I just never liked that GNRI blue livery, the philistine that I am!

You could always paint the S class in UTA black... most modellers tend to get lured by the GNR sky blue colour scheme so seeing one in that livery would make a change. :)

• RMweb Gold

You could always paint the S class in UTA black... most modellers tend to get lured by the GNR sky blue colour scheme so seeing one in that livery would make a change. :)

Very true, and nearer to my timescale of interest too. I will have to start saving as it will have to fit in between a rake of Murphy's Mark II's, the new Athearn Genesis SD70ace with sound I've ordered, not to mention the Rail Express Loadhaul Class 37 double pack and other british diesels and the odd steamer I'm expecting or have on order. Dear God, no wonder I'm so poor these days! :O

• RMweb Gold

21mm gauge must be the way to go....

Wonder if we'll see models of the DART system in future?

I've seen some small DART layouts down through the years, with some nice scratchbuilt stock. It helps that the original LHB units have quite a 'flat' appearance...

I do like the look of those Bredin corridor coaches....!

I read somewhere ("Rails Around Dublin", I think) that only one First Class coach was ever built to the Bredin design. Bredin's era came at a time of great cost-cutting on the Irish railway system which saw the closure of things like the Achill and Clifden lines.....

• 2 months later...

I read somewhere ("Rails Around Dublin", I think) that only one First Class coach was ever built to the Bredin design. Bredin's era came at a time of great cost-cutting on the Irish railway system which saw the closure of things like the Achill and Clifden lines.....

That would be this one, body (only) preserved at Dromad:

http://www.cs.vintagecarriagestrust.org/se/CarriageInfo.asp?Ref=4066

Archived