Replacing Triang XO4 motors.

Gilwell Park

My Triang L1 4-4-0 motor was suffering from advanced old age and in spite of cleaning, including comutator slots, and lubricating was overheating. I have replaced it with a Peter's Spares modern motor & bracket. The performance now is fully up to modern standards. Has anybody else used these motors? The only problem is they cost several times the cost of the original L1, 45 shillings?

The   "Type 7" (?) small motor from the more recent Hornby Jinties / B12 and the like is quite a useful  little motor for light duties and should be fine in an L1   4-4-0  especially one not operating on steel track so no magnadhesion.   Big plus is it frees up the cab for a backplate and crew. 

The  small motors don't last long in my experience.   Buy and store a couple of spares.

The otherwise reliable  X04 suffers from weak magnets causing overheating,  I use a couple of cylindrical super neo's and a spacer to revitalise X04s if the wires are still on the commutator.   However I have a couple with 50 year old magnets still going strong.  An X04 with a 5 pole armature is a very good smooth motor  but a bog standard X04 is hard to beat for running heavy trains at scale express speed for hours at a time.     If a type 7 is too small one could copy Ace Trains who use two motors in some of their models .

• Like 1

Other than the fairly simple task of making a motor mount the motors used by Peter's Spares are usually found on ebay for a couple of pounds or so. Whilst they can be used for a time at 12 volts these motors are happier at about 9 volts. A further thought is that I have seen individuals sticking these motors into place with a hot glue gun or silicon. Finally a single start work giving a ratio of 40:1 would help. 

• 4 weeks later...
On 12/10/2023 at 18:10, Darius43 said:

Could this be of any use?

Spotted it on eBay the other day.

Cheers

Darius

Sold out!   almost 300 sold!     Not sure how long one would survive hauling 20 odd metal chassis wagons but I expect its nice and smooth,      It look's  like the skew wound motor has a single start worm,  Triang used them on TT motors and for goods locos or small layouts they improve  performance but I prefer not to run motors at high revs so generally run the standard 2 start brass worm and worm gear.  

On 12/10/2023 at 18:10, Darius43 said:

Could this be of any use?

Spotted it on eBay the other day.

Cheers

Darius

Very ingenious,  skew 5 pole(?) motor and flywheel. 

Quite often MW/Airfix MRRC 5 pole motors or the Romford Bulldog are also still coming up on eBay around the £15 a time

Wills Finecast / Southeastern Finecast did 2 versions for the D13 (5 Pole) motor early cast later etched