Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Colin Withey (@coline33)

SteveyDee68

I received an email last night from Colin’s daughter, Jane, as follows:

I am Colin's daughter and I'm sadly writing to let you know that Dad's suddenly passed away last Saturday.

Thankfully he didn't suffer and was at home with Mum.  As it was unexpected we are awaiting the coroner's report after which can start to put funeral plans in place.

I know you were a friend and I wondered if you would be able to assist me with identifying whom amongst your circle I should inform once we know a date.

So sorry to break this news to you like this.

I shared several direct messages with Colin after he wrote to me after I made comments about “The Millwall Circle” article published back in the 1980s, offering me access to overhead photographs of the London docks and all sorts of other information. Bless him, he sent me an email with several items attached before he died, and his most recent emails were asking about my thoughts on how he might make the materials in his care more accessible to members of RMWeb. When Jane says his death was unexpected, I can testify that he had no plans to be leaving us so soon.

However, my acquaintance with Colin was only very recent (16 September) and very brief, and there must be others on RMWeb who knew him better. Please comment below and/or DM me, especially if you were a close friend, as Jane has asked about how best to share the news.

I have written back to her to let her know I am doing this, and also to suggest she sends me some “official text” to put here as a lasting obituary to her late father, together with funeral details when known.

In my very short acquaintanceship, I found Colin extremely knowledgeable and he seemed delighted to be able to share his knowledge, even with someone with a casual interest like myself; he was a proper gentleman.

Steve Sandiford

Edited by SteveyDee68
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 15

Hi Steve.

I am very sorry to hear of the passing of Colin.

Like you, I have not known him very long and not actually met him in the flesh, but did find him very enthusiastic and helpful.

We did exchange some information about London Trams and local South East London history, then more recently the PLA railways and he emailed me the Millwall Circle article. One of our other club members thirty2a also had dealings with Colin about the trams, so he will also be sorry to hear about this.

Colin had been a member of the Carshalton and Sutton Model Railway Club, so I hope that someone from there will pick up on this, possibly Dave Smith.

All the best

Ray Blanchard

Edited by wainwright1
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

RIP Colin.

In 1969 I joined Colin (already a member) at the Carshalton & Sutton MRC. The idea was to expand an 00 tramway at the Club. Colin taught me a lot over a good few years. When he left I kind of lost touch, but he would always 'pop up' here and there and more recently on the Tramway section of RMWeb.

He will be greatly missed as he had so much knowledge of tramways and London in particular. I believe he had a connection with the start of the Croydon Trams.

I would love to be kept informed of the arrangements please?

David Smith

• Friendly/supportive 1

FUNERAL ANNOUNCEMENT

Received the following email from Jane, Colin’s daughter, which I am reproducing in full here for anyone who is interested in attending:

It’s with a heavy heart that my family & I write to invite you to join us for Colin’s funeral on Thursday 16th November at 11.30am.

The service will be held at the West Chapel, Croydon Crematorium, Mitchum Road, Croydon, CR9 3AT

Dress code is entirely at attendee’s preference.

We would prefer no flowers, however, if you would like to make a donation in his memory, it can be sent to one of his favourite organisations: the Crich Tramway museum https://www.tramway.co.uk/contact/make-a-donation/

There will be a celebration in his memory at 1pm, details of which will follow later this week.

Please pass this onto anyone in the transport community who knew Dad.

I personally would like to thank everyone for their wonderful words of support, cards and flowers to my Mum.

All the best,
Jane

Please pass on to anyone who knew Colin. As my late father was also a keen supporter of Crich Tramway Museum (my mum still jokes that whenever they went for a day out anywhere they always ended up stopping off at Crich!) I’ll be making a donation in Colin’s memory.

Will post further details when I know them.

Steve S

Edited by SteveyDee68
Grammar
  • Friendly/supportive 5