What did I see?

JeffP

Recently drove across Spain, twice, doing Col du Somport- Jaca- Huesca-Zaragoza-Teruel-Murcia-Mazarron, and return via Albacete, Madrid, Burgos, San Sebastian, Irun.

Despite our hotel at Teruel being opposite the station, the only loco I saw eas at Jaca, heading away from the town eastwards, on a container train. It was modern looking, and carried a large number 70, the logo began with "Med..."

Anyone identify it for me?

Our routes often paralleled railways for quite long distances, both classic and high speed lines, but we didn't see another train.

• RMweb Gold

Think it'll be difficult to identify the exact loco type you saw, as Medway (one of several private freight operators in Spain) operates several different locomotives types.

However, if it was fairly modern looking it could be a Stadler Euro 6000 or a Siemens 4700.

Sadly, it seems that freight traffic in Spain is suffering much the same fate as in the UK, I.e. being moved to road....

Also I think the line through Teruel to Valencia no longer operates, and it's just the Teruel-Zaragoza-Huesca service that does.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Geep7 said:

Sadly, it seems that freight traffic in Spain is suffering much the same fate as in the UK, I.e. being moved to road

Not just Spain, have recently travelled by rail in Germany, Switzerland and Italy, many industries still have rail connections, but sadly most seem little used if at all, but lots of lorry trailers to be seen!

• Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

Just back from Valencia and plenty of Medway - and other action. By chance my wife rented an apartment with a cracking view of the Valencia - Xativa - Alicante/Madrid mainline. 250 odd trains a day. I need to sort out the pictures but here a a couple of Medway offerings. Three different trains but I don't know how many different locomotives. These were taken from my terrace with an average zoom. I also saw a Medway 4000 in black with a steel train but didn't have the camera to hand.

MW2.JPG.2689826d26dd608da6a4d70b71ddee93.JPG

MW3.JPG.52c28dbb9f95ef8c1fe779f3846e76b3.JPGMW1.JPG.76a44b87ecbb2716b7865209cc5f6787.JPG

• Like 2