Problem connecting z21 to laptop to update

Midnight-Freight

I'm trying to establish a connection between my laptop and z21 start to update the firmware but can't get them to communicate. I've followed the instructions in the manual to set the IP address but keep getting the "Could not communicate with digital switchboard" error whenever I try to connect. My laptop is quite old and slow but is running Windows 10. So far I have:

Established a wired internet connection to my router so know the cable and ethernet port are working

Tried disabling Windows defender and checking the z21 programme is allowed through the firewall

Lan port on the z21 is showing a green light

Checked for Windows updates and updates for the ethernet controller

Tried to ping the IP address but get no response

Checked network settings, the laptop recognises that an unknown device is connected

I'm not sure if there's more to setting up a static IP connection than what's in the z21 instructions and I've missed something but any suggestions welcome.

Edited by Midnight-Freight
Spelling mistake

Have you confirmed that the firewall is not blocking the access?

yiu need to have port 21105 open to 192.168.0.111 and your laptop address needs to be in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.253.

try disabling the firewall and see if it connects - only takes 5 mins so very little threat window.

4 hours ago, WIMorrison said:

Have you confirmed that the firewall is not blocking the access?

yiu need to have port 21105 open to 192.168.0.111 and your laptop address needs to be in the range 192.168.0.2 to 192.168.0.253.

try disabling the firewall and see if it connects - only takes 5 mins so very little threat window.

Thanks for your response. I had already tried disabling the firewall and have checked it's not blocking it. Autoconfig

IP address of my laptop is 169.254.127.89 is that ok or do I need to disable autoconfig?

I'm not sure what to check regarding port 21105?

Edited by Midnight-Freight

1 hour ago, Midnight-Freight said:

Thanks for your response. I had already tried disabling the firewall and have checked it's not blocking it. Autoconfig

IP address of my laptop is 169.254.127.89 is that ok or do I need to disable autoconfig?

I'm not sure what to check regarding port 21105?

That is a MS generated IP address that occurs when the laptop is not connected to a network that issues up addresses.

if you are just using a direct cable between the laptop and z21 then change the laptop address to 192.168.0.100 and you will be able to connect

To make sure that you've changed the address on your laptop to 192.168.0.100 ping that instead.

ping 192.168.0.100

You should get an immediate response, if you don't look at your laptop settings again.

Don't forget that to change your laptop's address you'll need to turn of DHCP and tell it to use a fixed address.

FWIW this is nothing to do with the age of the laptop.

Regards,

John P

48 minutes ago, jpendle said:

To make sure that you've changed the address on your laptop to 192.168.0.100 ping that instead.

ping 192.168.0.100

You should get an immediate response, if you don't look at your laptop settings again.

Don't forget that to change your laptop's address you'll need to turn of DHCP and tell it to use a fixed address.

FWIW this is nothing to do with the age of the laptop.

Regards,

John P

Yes I get an immediate response doing that

• 4 weeks later...

I have just had a similar issue as Midnight Freight when my z21 froze during a firmware update.  The box was showing a blue and green led and i had lost wireless connectivity.  Working through advice from Roco, borrowing an ancient Windows laptop and the very helpful advice from this thread I am now up and running.  Thanks to all.

• Like 1