Trackside advertising signs and hoardings on Southern routes

Deeps

Like many modellers, I suspect, I have vivid memories of some fairly prominent advertisements alongside railways. Although replicating them on our layouts may not be prototypical for the location/timescale being modelled, nostalgia may induce us to have them regardless. I well remember the hoarding for Strong & Co brewery at Romsey, informing us of our proximity to the ‘Strong Country’, that was in a field adjacent to the route from Exeter to Salisbury (although I can’t remember the exact location). As such I have acquired a few scale examples to populate my layout. 

One other significant advertisement I am researching was on the approaches to Waterloo, possibly near Vauxhall. This was for ‘Sandeman’, purveyors of wines and sherry, and I recall that it was painted on the end wall of a multi-story building on the North side of the mainline. As a youngster, during the 1960’s, it was the sign that told me were were nearing the great terminus and I would look out for it on every journey. I have tried searching online for images etc and current street views do not seem to show remnants of the advertisement or the building used. Whilst there is little justification for including it on my layout (predominantly IOW) I might sneak a suitable small version on one of the stations being modelled.

Any further information, and possibly images, would be much appreciated.

2 hours ago, Deeps said:

Like many modellers, I suspect, I have vivid memories of some fairly prominent advertisements alongside railways. Although replicating them on our layouts may not be prototypical for the location/timescale being modelled, nostalgia may induce us to have them regardless. I well remember the hoarding for Strong & Co brewery at Romsey, informing us of our proximity to the ‘Strong Country’, that was in a field adjacent to the route from Exeter to Salisbury (although I can’t remember the exact location). As such I have acquired a few scale examples to populate my layout. 

One other significant advertisement I am researching was on the approaches to Waterloo, possibly near Vauxhall. This was for ‘Sandeman’, purveyors of wines and sherry, and I recall that it was painted on the end wall of a multi-story building on the North side of the mainline. As a youngster, during the 1960’s, it was the sign that told me were were nearing the great terminus and I would look out for it on every journey. I have tried searching online for images etc and current street views do not seem to show remnants of the advertisement or the building used. Whilst there is little justification for including it on my layout (predominantly IOW) I might sneak a suitable small version on one of the stations being modelled.

Any further information, and possibly images, would be much appreciated.

Vauxhall station environs and the section down to Nine Elms bear NO resemblance to how they looked even 5 years ago

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Southernman46 said:

Vauxhall station environs and the section down to Nine Elms bear NO resemblance to how they looked even 5 years ago

Agreed. When travelling to Waterloo recently, for the first time in many year’s, I could see that the environment was considerably changed. Other passengers on my train must have wondered why I seemed perplexed and confused as I peered out of the window!

It is, perhaps, an object lesson to treasure the memories before the brain deletes them.

15 minutes ago, Ian Smeeton said:

Better still, photograph them.

You never know when they might come in handy!

Regards

Ian

Absolutely. Oh, to be able to go back in time and armed with a camera.

It is a sad fact that, at the time, we never imagined that one day these significant features would disappear forever.

The Sandeman advert featured Orson Welles with a raised glass.  Not an advert but in the days when graffiti was rare there was a factory unit with the slogan 'Moseley was Right' painted on it.  It remained visible for years.  On the other side of the line the end of a terrace of houses advertised Brands Meat Paste.  In Devon there was a sign telling you that the train was passing the Whyteways Cider orchard.  Not sure if it was ever updated to read Coates, Gaymer, Whyteways.  The other one that sticks in the mind was the seed merchants, was it Carters?

Tony Comber

Edited by shipbadger
No edit, just pressed the wrong button :-(
  • Agree 1

The two that I always associate with childhood trips via Waterloo to visit grandparents are:

- Thorburn & Bains Broadwell Envelope Factory, on the approach to Waterloo East (I was amazed that the world needed so many envelopes that an entire large factory was devoted to their production); and,

- Walkers ‘Lion’ Joints & Packings, next along from the mosque at Woking.

• Agree 1

On 28/10/2023 at 19:42, shipbadger said:

The Sandeman advert featured Orson Welles with a raised glass.  Not an advert but in the days when graffiti was rare there was a factory unit with the slogan 'Moseley was Right' painted on it.  It remained visible for years.  On the other side of the line the end of a terrace of houses advertised Brands Meat Paste.  In Devon there was a sign telling you that the train was passing the Whyteways Cider orchard.  Not sure if it was ever updated to read Coates, Gaymer, Whyteways.  The other one that sticks in the mind was the seed merchants, was it Carters?

Tony Comber

Yes, Carters Seeds was near Raynes Park.  They had extensive 'nurseries', presumably now housing.

I recall that when I first noticed the 'Strong' hoardings the image was an air smoothed Bullied - later they featured a rebuild.

Chris KT  

• Like 1

Was it only the 'Strong Country' adverts that were actually on railway property ?

The approach to London Bridge was characterised by the Peek Freans biscuit factory - better known for the wonderful aroma than for advertising - and, a little closer to LB, what became "     N'S MAL VINEGAR" ....... though formerly "SARSON'S MALT VINEGAR"

Edited by Wickham Green too

This brings back memories of commuting to school from Orpington to London Bridge in the mid 1960s.  The smell of the biscuit factory was mostly of custard creams, but none of the other smells were so pleasant.  The school was on the corner of Tooley St and Tower Bridge Road, so we had smells from the Sarsons factory to the south, the Courage Brewery to the east, and the even more pungent leather works on the walk through the backstreets to the Grange Road baths for swimming lessons.  I have avoided vinegar ever since.