Railway & Modelling Obituaries

Peter Townend, former King's Cross Shedmaster

St Enodoc

This man was one of my heroes, what a full and wonderful life he had led, 98 is a terrific innings. Not sure I ever met him, but i've read the books and articles written by him (Top Shed), and the books about him written by others. He must have still been in his 30s, when he took charge of Kings Cross steam depot (the aforementioned "Top Shed"), one of the most important depots on the ECML. After it's closure in 1963, he gained legendary status, whilst still middle-aged. Wasn't he behind, or involved with, the fitting of "German Smoke Deflectors" to the Gresley A3 class, from the late 50s onwards?

Best Wishes for him, and his family.

Brian Kirby.

• Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 6

• RMweb Gold

At such a good age I suppose it was inevitable but it is of course no less  sad and a great loss that one of, if not the, final links with an age and technology we are all so fond has gone. 

I first became aware of him when I read a first edition, library copy of Top Shed in the early 80's.  It was of such interest that I had to buy a copy for myself and another for my father, who spent his youth watching the Silver Jubilee and the Coronation from Wood Green station, and who sparked my interest in railways in general and the LNER in particular.     My copy disappeared many moons ago so when the second edition appeared I had to have it!    An "old school" hero with a huge knowledge and experience of the subject, he was always a welcome addition to any railway related programmes in which he appeared.   I never met him but it would have been an honour to do so.

Alan

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

A gentleman and a scholar, he kindly signed my first ed. 'Top Shed'. Rest in Peace.

3 hours ago, Kirby Uncoupler said:

Wasn't he behind, or involved with, the fitting of "German Smoke Deflectors" to the Gresley A3 class, from the late 50s onwards?

He pushed through the programme of fitting first all the A4s with the Kylchap exhaust, then the A3s, so that instead of the five that had this device, it then covered the entirety of Gresley's pacifics. He was too modest to claim that it was his efforts that saw the Witte type deflectors applied to the A3s for effective exhaust clearance.

He would have gone further had not the order to cease steam development gone out, otherwise next on the list for the Kylchap device would have been the V2s. Those few that got it proved this would have been advantageous for reliable power production, as coal quality deteriorated.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

• RMweb Premium

A sad loss. ‘Top Shed’ was our go-to reference for Copenhagen Fields in the early days (and still is). The copy in our layout cupboard is well thumbed. It is a shame that he never saw the layout. 

Tim

• Friendly/supportive 2

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Interesting video here. After gaining his Ordinary National Certificate ONC at Doncaster Tech he attended Wigan Mining & Technical College to get his Higher National Certificate (HNC) in a 6 month intensive course.

Brit15

Edited by APOLLO
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2

• 2 months later...
  • RMweb Premium

Peter's final journey, King's Cross to Belle Isle before his ashes were put into the firebox of 60007 Sir Nigel Gresley on Saturday morning.

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Friendly/supportive 13