KMRC announce Exclusive Bachmann 00 Gauge class 158 2-Car Sprinter DMU 158 827 in Ginsters livery.

Kernow MRC

KMRC announce an Exclusive Bachmann 00 Gauge class 158 2-Car Sprinter DMU 158 827 in Ginsters livery.

WEB231012BACHMANN31-517_7.jpg.b66f04651a882fd9cd0d4f72b7cb2bcf.jpg

The Class 158 is a member of the Sprinter series of regional trains that were constructed between 1989 and 1992 by British Rail Engineering Limited. A total of 182 Class 158 units were introduced. The majority were built as two-car units although 17 were produced as three-car units.
Five Wales & Borders Class 158s received the Ginsters advertising livery - 158 819 / 821 / 825 / 827 / 841 - and operated throughout the Wales & Borders Franchise area, including Cardiff to Penzance, Manchester to Cardiff, Portsmouth to Cardiff, Barmouth to Birmingham etc.
Applied in early 2003 the vinyls were removed in early 2007. The livery included images of Cornwall and also Ginsters logos (which were also added to the roof) along with large advertising posters on each side which were designed to look hand painted.

WEB231012BACHMANN31-517_5.jpg.60d93b39e34c25a2966a3b9057180975.jpg

The Kernow Model Rail Centre Exclusive highly detailed model in 00 Gauge is being produced for KMRC by Bachmann. Unit 158 827 is a 2-Car unit in Ginsters livery comprising of car numbers 52827 & 57827 with destination blinds for Bristol Temple Meads.

The model features two powered vehicles each with a 3-pole motor and flywheel driving both axles on the inner bogies. The diecast metal, multi-stage gearbox, with gearing is arranged for prototypical running speeds and haulage capabilities. The trailing bogies run in pin point metals bearings and electrical pick up is from all wheels with conductive couplings with integral close coupling mechanism at the inner ends and working miniature BSI Couplings at the cab end.
Separately applied metal detail parts include exhaust guards and interior luggage racks. bogies are constructed from multiple components featuring brake and suspension details and the underframes are fully detailed with many separately fitted components.
Each model is supplied with an accessory pack comprising exhaust pipes, frame extensions and coupling tool.
The units feature directional lighting, including illuminated destination panels, with Day/Night mode; selectable via the chassis-mounted switches or via a dedicated DCC function. Directional lights, each end, and interior lighting can be turned on/off independently via the chassis-mounted switches or via separate DCC functions.
Two speakers are fitted, one in each vehicle, for optimum sound reproduction and fitted to every model as standard. A Zimo MX645P22 DCC Sound Decoder is fitted to SOUND FITTED versions. The SOUND FITTED models operate on DCC and Analogue control as supplied.
The KMRC Exclusive class 158 is available in standard DCC Ready £299.99, equipped with a Plux22 DCC Decoder Socket (recommended Decoder item No. 36-570A) and DCC SOUND FITTED £399.99 versions.

The versions available to order now, expected within 14 days, are as below:

31-517Z Bachmann Class 158 2-Car Sprinter DMU - 158 827 - Ginsters livery. DCC Ready.

31-517ZSF Bachmann Class 158 2-Car Sprinter DMU - 158 827 - Ginsters livery. DCC SOUND FITTED.

Chris Trerise, Managing Director, said: “The very distinctive Ginsters livery class 158s with the Cornwall logos have been regularly requested and is therefore an obvious choice for us to include in our ever-growing range of KMRC Exclusive models.”

• Like 7
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1
  • Round of applause 2

• RMweb Premium

Probably the fastest I’ve spontaneously ordered something in, from seeing the post on Facebook, clicked on immediately and the order has through less than five mins later, wow I can’t wait! 

Great choice guys! 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

Oh nooo, I thought I was safe yesterday! This now puts me in a predicament. Do I? Don't I? 

It worked under ATW in this livery, and I do remember seeing these as a kid. But I don't really model this era (I'm proper ATW onwards)...

I'll see how payday pans out 😉 But this is a very welcome announcement - thank you! 

I remember a Ginsters unit running on the Cambrian when I moved to Fairbourne, sadly this is a few years too late for my layout plans but it is such a fun livery I'm sure they don't need my purchase!

Personally I prefer my pasties by post direct from Cornwall!

• Like 1

I remember these passing my house, and they're bang in the middle of my modeling era, so how can I not get one?!

Goes perfectly with my Central 158 that I've re-branded to Wales & Borders aswell. Also ran a few years into the Arriva Trains Wales franchise, so won't be out of place alongside one of Revolution's forthcoming 175s.

I remember seeing Ginsters liveried sets at Clapham Junction on the Waterloo-Wales service operated by Wales & Borders back in the day, they got everywhere. They would complement the impending Bachman’s SWT CEP and Hornby SWT VEP nicely. Not my modelling era but really tempting all the same. Great choice! 

• RMweb Gold
On 08/11/2023 at 23:11, NXEA! said:

I remember seeing Ginsters liveried sets at Clapham Junction on the Waterloo-Wales service operated by Wales & Borders back in the day, they got everywhere. They would complement the impending Bachman’s SWT CEP and Hornby SWT VEP nicely. Not my modelling era but really tempting all the same. Great choice! 

That made me sit up and look on flickr…

158825 WAT 1217-MFH 16-4-04

(not mine)

how about that….

• Like 1

On 10/11/2023 at 23:23, adb968008 said:

That made me sit up and look on flickr…

158825 WAT 1217-MFH 16-4-04

(not mine)

how about that….

Didn't know it had popped up on the Alphaline service out of Waterloo?! Used to frequent the SWML fair bit back in the "spotting days" tempting but don't know if I can justify one appearing on a GWML branchline in Bucks

NL

On 08/11/2023 at 23:11, NXEA! said:

A London Waterloo direct to Wales service - can anyone help with its route? I have seen mentions of Milford Haven and Carmarthen, but via where, and were the services just a single Class 158?
This has captured my curiosity, having now seen photos of the Ginsters branded units at Waterloo and Clapham Junction - hoping this livery might get to N gauge on the new Graham Farish 158…….

2 hours ago, ModRXsouth said:

A London Waterloo direct to Wales service - can anyone help with its route? I have seen mentions of Milford Haven and Carmarthen, but via where, and were the services just a single Class 158?
This has captured my curiosity, having now seen photos of the Ginsters branded units at Waterloo and Clapham Junction - hoping this livery might get to N gauge on the new Graham Farish 158…….

Here's the map from the public timetable.
image.png.4a292fff5c6966095b0b7929572e5630.png

13 hours ago, CainsyBoy said:

IIRC, the service was set up to give connections with Eurostar services, then operating from Waterloo. I think it was a Cardiff-Waterloo service, further west/north points needing a change at CDF.

It was a through service, Shrewsbury/Manchester reversed at Newport and Carmarthen/Milford Haven was direct. ISTR the Manchester service joined the 1Fxx from Portsmouth at Salisbury in the early years, and split at Newport.

image.png.c1c64cfda2052f94c6cfcea10056c739.pngimage.png.c7634d952324afca07e3f00a28b0e848.png

Edited by RobSkipworth
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

6+ hours on a 158 to Manchester, via Wales….

when you could go 10 mins to Euston, and be in Manchester in 3h (ish), as it were back then.

Northern also had a sprinter service to Euston as well, from Rochdale for a very short period, at fares like £10.

London Euston - Class 158

Flickr url/ not mine

pioneering days !

Edited by adb968008
  • Like 1

That’s an excellent photo, haven’t seen many photos of FNW at Euston in the early privatisation days. A pair of 158’s on the Rochdale as you say, and what looks like 322484 next to it on the short-lived direct Manchester Airport service. 

Edited by NXEA!

RobSkipworth -

Many thanks for the timetable extract for the London Waterloo to west Wales and Manchester services - very intriguing! Do you also have the extract for the reverse services into Waterloo?
I am wondering about turnaround - how long between the Class 158s arriving and departing Waterloo? Also where the unit for the 05.05 departure came from - did it stable overnight at Waterloo or Clapham Junction, but what about taking on diesel?

• RMweb Premium
5 hours ago, ModRXsouth said:

Also where the unit for the 05.05 departure came from - did it stable overnight at Waterloo or Clapham Junction, but what about taking on diesel?

I would assume that it stabled wherever the 159's on the Exeter route stable.