Zimo MS580N18 - Flashing front and rear lights - no response from decoder

Bucoops

• RMweb Gold

Evening all :)

This is a new one on me. Decoder is a Zimo MS580N18 connected to their MXTAP tester board and MXULFA programmer. When connected, the LEDs that are connected to the front and rear loco lamps flash at approx 1Hz. 

MS580Nflashing.jpg.bc06466e42aae77fa4e0167cb94085a2.jpg

I can't find any reference to what this might mean, but any attempt to update the firmware results in a no decoder error, and if I try PoM with my Lenz LH101 I get an error 2 which I know to be decoder not found.

Any ideas please? Have I a dead decoder?

Thank you :)

• RMweb Premium

There’s a topic on the N gauge forum about standard non-sound Zimo MNNext18 decoders not working properly. Acting like they are overheating in the manner you describe. In most cases a reset appears to sort the issue but info from John Gymer of YouChoos gives things to do to offset the problems if not. Turning off Railcom and such like. Zimo are aware it seems and trying to sort it. 

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=59502.15

Bob

Edited by Izzy
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold
28 minutes ago, Izzy said:

There’s a topic on the N gauge forum about standard non-sound Zimo MNNext18 decoders not working properly. Acting like they are overheating in the manner you describe. In most cases a reset appears to sort the issue but info from John Gymer of YouChoos gives things to do to offset the problems if not. Turning off Railcom and such like. Zimo are aware it seems and trying to sort it. 

https://www.ngaugeforum.co.uk/SMFN/index.php?topic=59502.15

Bob

Thanks Bob, 5Hz is a lot faster than I am seeing, and it doesn't respond to anything so not sure it is that but makes interesting reading.

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Bucoops said:

Thanks Bob, 5Hz is a lot faster than I am seeing, and it doesn't respond to anything so not sure it is that but makes interesting reading.

Yes, the new Zimo decoder designs are certainly denting the cast iron reliability reputation Zimo used to enjoy which is a shame. Still better than others though even with the disappearance of the budget range save for the older MX600.

Bob

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium

Reading this makes me wonder if that's what happened to me. I'm waiting on an MX658N18 to come back from Zimo which behaved really weirdly before dying. They also have an MS480 that just stopped working for no apparent reason. I do hope they get things sorted out soon.

• Friendly/supportive 1