Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Container wagon FHA699602

Purnu

Whilst browsing Flickr I came across the following photograph and it piqued my interest. Do any of our members have any information regarding it? Was it just (part of) a pair and how long did it last in service?

ab-699002-FHA-Aberdeen-1984-04

Subsequently found further photographs on Mr Bartlett’s wonderful website, apparently these were Lowliners. Never having heard of or seeing them before I’d still like to know how many there were and how long they lasted in service?

Edited by Purnu
Added information

2 hours ago, Purnu said:

Whilst browsing Flickr I came across the following photograph and it piqued my interest. Do any of our members have any information regarding it? Was it just (part of) a pair and how long did it last in service?

ab-699002-FHA-Aberdeen-1984-04

Subsequently found further photographs on Mr Bartlett’s wonderful website, apparently these were Lowliners. Never having heard of or seeing them before I’d still like to know how many there were and how long they lasted in service?

There were a pair of 42' wagons on 4-wheel bogies, known as Lowliner A ,and a pair of 60' long wagons on three-axle bogies, known as Lowliner B. They were built at Ashford in 1971-2. I believe they spent their working lives in Northern Scotland. 'Freightliner ; Life and Times' has more details

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

I think this was the same thing that I photographed in 1985 at an open day (Wolverton? edit: definitely Wolverton). No number visible or else I'd have noted it:

85-13-226-wheelbogiecontainerflat.jpg.cbb2a6d58601e0b9258f4e79258b7112.jpg

Edited by eastwestdivide
Wolverton
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, Fat Controller said:

It wasn't Cricklewood, was it? It looks as if  it's the same wagons. (May 1985)

Those wagons in the background did the rounds of open days!

List of open days here: http://www.bropendays.co.uk/location.html

which has a Wolverton summer 1985, but nothing at Cricklewood that year.

A further rummage in my notes finds it was definitely Wolverton.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1