Recommendations needed for new DCC controller - Dynamis going in the bin

I considered the NCE Power cab but am I right in saying it will struggle with more than about 5 locos in operation?

Simo

Simo, almost agree but not quite. Technically you are correct, 5 engines max, but if your engines are MU'd, say 5 trains each with 3 locos on the point, the NCE Power cab will handle them all quite nicely. As it will only function with the lead engine, the others auto follow.

Additional comment: NCE is THE simplest of all DCC throttles to use. Even I, the electrically retarded one, can programme these and best of all it has a memory feature which I like very much. Once engine numbers are programmed into the unit you can simply scroll thru them and select. Just like scrolling thru your saved telephone numbers on your cell phone. And the numbers remain there once put into memory. A class piece of kit, no question.

Digitrax comes second but not a close second, that's for sure. Digitrax requires a steep, long and frustrating learning curve, but once that is accomplished, its fine. All others are also rans.

Hard opinion I know, but I've been there and thrown lots of T shirts away already. Don't be fooled by the snake oil merchants.

Cheers, Tony

My trainset is 0 gauge (but only one loco at a time as it is end to end) and I went for an NCE Power Cab with a 3 amp booster as an extra.

I did consider the 5 amp "Pro" system but thought it a bit too expensive for my needs, although the Power Cab is fully upgradable if ever I need it.

I wrongly assumed that the 3 amp "booster" worked along with the 1.2 amp supply, it is a 3amp supply in its own right, so if you could be bothered sectioning the layout a bit you can have the 1.2 amp supply working in addition to the 3 amp.

The 1.2 amp is a self contained plug top style unit (plugs into a 13A socket) but the 3 amp requires a seperate additional transformer.

The basic Power Cab system has everything you need to use DCC (no hidded extras needed) and I believe the handset is all but identical to the Power Pro systems.

Personally, I like the feel of the NCE handset and having the choice of thumbwheel or push button control, but I do accept that everyone has their own preferences and I would also advise going somewhere you can actually get hold of the controller before you buy, as hopefully it's going to last you for a while.

No connection with NCE other than being a satisfied customer.

regards

Stewart

• 1 year later...

Simon,

Two manufacturers come to mind either the offering from Digitrax, or NCE. What neither of these systems offer is a "database" of locos like the dynamis, so you will have to re-enter or re-call through the most recent used locos on the handset. Both handsets are fairly straight forward to use, although the digitrax, is a bit more overwhelming. They both offer a reasonable length of cable, having said that with additional face plates, moving around isn't a huge problem, just unplug the controller, move to the next point and plug straight back in.

They both offer a PC interface at a reasonable price, thus allowing you to use Decoder Pro for programming decoders.

The next issue then comes down to costs and how much your wallet will stretch to smile.gif

The NCE Pro Power Starter set (5amp) is around the £370 mark, while the Digitrax Super Chief (5Amp) is £315, both will require power supplies.

If you wanted something a little less costly then the NCE Power Cab (£130) might be more suitable, although that is only a 1.2amp system.

Regards

Kevin

Kevin, I am looking at a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra DCS51 which is the latest one from Digitrax and it includes a power unit., the spec looks very good and the price is around £150-ish

Phil Anderson

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Premium

Kevin, I am looking at a Digitrax Zephyr Xtra DCS51 which is the latest one from Digitrax and it includes a power unit., the spec looks very good and the price is around £150-ish

Phil Anderson

Phil, I have been using the original Zephyr for about 4 years now and find it reliable and easy to programme and read CVs, the "handle" throttle feels nice to use and I have an extra UT4 throttle attached (which also works very well although limited on buttons).

My son was in New York last week and I asked him to get me the new Zephyr but unfotunately the two stores he went in had sold out....must be pretty good I guess.

I reckon you will be pleased with the new Zephyr, it is not so much like using a TV remote control but more like a traditional railway controller, thats what first drew me towards the decision, and one I still have not regretted.

Archived