Recommendations needed for new DCC controller - Dynamis going in the bin

Hey all,

After a stuttering start with my dynamis, after owning it for a few years and using it for only about 5 hours, its gotta go!

Can some kind person advise me of a controller that will suit my needs, which are,

Must not be wireless

Has a nice long wire attached to the handset

Must be able to store lots of locos in memory (around 30 odd at the moment)

Must be stupidely easy to use

Easy to change between locos quickely and program decoders

You can see at a glance which loco is currently being controlled

The Dynamis on the face of it was great and well easy, except the wireless bit is very poor to the point you cant play without swearing, you wait ages for it to pick up a signal meaning your prized posessions end up somewhere down the line where they should not be.

Please keep any responses simple, I am a numpty really and only understand small words.

Cost not really an issue, rather pay the price for something that works!

I have read so many thing on this forum about dynamis and I always thought, "mines great", but its not......

thanks,

Simon

Simon,

Two manufacturers come to mind either the offering from Digitrax, or NCE. What neither of these systems offer is a "database" of locos like the dynamis, so you will have to re-enter or re-call through the most recent used locos on the handset. Both handsets are fairly straight forward to use, although the digitrax, is a bit more overwhelming. They both offer a reasonable length of cable, having said that with additional face plates, moving around isn't a huge problem, just unplug the controller, move to the next point and plug straight back in.

They both offer a PC interface at a reasonable price, thus allowing you to use Decoder Pro for programming decoders.

The next issue then comes down to costs and how much your wallet will stretch to :)

The NCE Pro Power Starter set (5amp) is around the £370 mark, while the Digitrax Super Chief (5Amp) is £315, both will require power supplies.

If you wanted something a little less costly then the NCE Power Cab (£130) might be more suitable, although that is only a 1.2amp system.

Regards

Kevin

Simon,

Two manufacturers come to mind either the offering from Digitrax, or NCE. What neither of these systems offer is a "database" of locos like the dynamis, so you will have to re-enter or re-call through the most recent used locos on the handset. Both handsets are fairly straight forward to use, although the digitrax, is a bit more overwhelming. They both offer a reasonable length of cable, having said that with additional face plates, moving around isn't a huge problem, just unplug the controller, move to the next point and plug straight back in.

They both offer a PC interface at a reasonable price, thus allowing you to use Decoder Pro for programming decoders.

The next issue then comes down to costs and how much your wallet will stretch to :)

The NCE Pro Power Starter set (5amp) is around the £370 mark, while the Digitrax Super Chief (5Amp) is £315, both will require power supplies.

If you wanted something a little less costly then the NCE Power Cab (£130) might be more suitable, although that is only a 1.2amp system.

Regards

Kevin

I considered the NCE Power cab but am I right in saying it will struggle with more than about 5 locos in operation?

Simo

• RMweb Gold

I considered the NCE Power cab but am I right in saying it will struggle with more than about 5 locos in operation?

Simo

How many do you want to drive? or do you have lots of sound locos? (and I mean lots)

There is always the 'procab' option however if you want to empire build :D

How many do you want to drive? or do you have lots of sound locos? (and I mean lots)

There is always the 'procab' option however if you want to empire build :D

Well, I guess I will have aprox 4 locos on the go at any one time. 2 on the up and down tracks, something shunting in a yard and a.n.other if my fingers are quick. All my locos will be sound equiped and I have about 4 at present. Might want to leave some ticking over while I drive others. I'm sure you cath my drift. I have about 30 locos in with about half that on the layout at any one time.

Simon

With that many locos on the go at one time I'd say that the NCE Procab is what you want. I've used both NCE and Digitrax but I prefer the NCE for 2 main reasons #1) I found the NCE far more user-friendly and intuitive so the learning-curve was faster and easier than the Digitrax and #2) I really preffered the NCE handset over the Digitrax...although its bigger than the Digitrax unit it is essentially a single-hand unit leaveing the other hand free to flip-points etc., I found the screen was easier to read and I like the option of useing either the thumbwheel or the push-buttons for speed-control.

Cheers

Gene

It is no seceret that i am an NCE man for many of the same resons mentioned

to give you an idea allow half an amp for any loco operating non sound or on tick over

for a moving sound ilke to allow about 0.75 amps or 1.5 for two beccause they will all draw differntly

so if you have five or 6 non sound then 3 amps is perfect

the next thing to consider is will youi have 5 soubd locs all on at the same time from expernce it souns quite noisy and i often end up with only one sound

4 amps will give you for sound locos in motion AND ALLOW ANOTHER AMP FOR your shunter

I have one other question for you do you use difital for point and signal control

Also rember that boasters can be used for more power

Sam

I am sory for the cpas but my computer is not 100%

I would plump for the Digitrax Super Chief. It has two throttle knobs on the DT400 which simplifies changing the controlled loco. I think the NCE only has one thumbwheel. I have the Super Empire Builder and a Zephyr hooked together but that limits the loco stack to 10. Enough for me on my layout. Don't buy the Super Empire Builder on its own as it doesn't programme decoders. I added the Zephyr to get that facility but had to hook the SEB as a slave. I get five amps power and have used the Zephyr to power a reverse Y as it has instant digital polarity reverse.

I also get three throttles so I can run two trains roundy roundy on the Zephyr and still do some sophisticated MPD light engine and shunting using two locos on the DT400 plugged in another socket.

I might add a UT4 at some stage to allow for guests.

Digitrax are by far the best system for daisy chaining and backwards compatability for new gear. There is radio control but I think the licence restrictions kill it in the UK. The DT400 comes as standard equipped for infra red or plug in to your choice (more kit needed for the infra red and most of us don't bother).

• RMweb Gold

As I wrote in another DCC topic today....

Much of what is the best DCC system will depend on what YOU want, handheld? desk based? buttons? a knob? naming of locos? etc.

Andi

Another question is where do you intend to go with DCC and layout control?

Are you intending to add extra sophistication such as computer control?

The Dynamis is only an entry level system, so moving up to a fully featured system may be the right move for you.

But if your requirements are modest and the only problem you have with the Dynamis is the IR signal, then why not simply add more IR receiver/transmitters to the system through a Pro Box. That would be a lot cheaper than the cost of a full NCE or Digitrax system.

Also, despite the limitations of the Dynamis, it has some features that you may miss with an alternative.

In changing to another system you will lose the ability to set each of all 20 functions to either latching or unlatching. This is particularly useful with sound and you may find other systems require more button pressing to activate and switch of each sound function. For example, Digitrax only allow one function to operate this way.

• RMweb Gold

Ooh David, I have to pick up on this. The DB150 booster/command station in the Super Empire Builder can programme decoders but cannot read back the values. It programmes in 'broadcast mode' so all locos other than the one to be programmed need to be removed from the layout. Alternatively, a dedicated programming track isolated from the layout and connected to the command station through a double pole change over switch with a centre off position to select between the layout and the programming track can be used. I set this up in accordance with the Digitrax instructions when I first had my Empire Builder and it worked very well for me.

As you say Digitrax haven't yet obtained the necessary licence to permit the sale and use of their radio system in Europe, something of a mystery really.

The infra red facility works very well for me with only one UR90 receiver panel which also provides an additional plug in point for throttles but I agree that it probably isn't used a great deal by modellers in this country simply because many of our railways are comparatively small systems and perhaps don't warrant the extra cost of the UR90. You probably could say that about my 16' x 10' loft layout but it saves me some legwork when I am operating solo. I also use a withrottle with decoderpro through a locobuffer connected to a laptop with wireless connection via my router so maybe the Digitrax radio system is not an urgent requirement anyway.

Incidentally I cannot understand why folk are so keen on loco address stacks. I find it much quicker to just select the next loco by punching in the numbers rather than scrolling through a stack, and my stack is set at only four addresses. What it would be like with a bigger stack I can't imagine.

I have upgraded to a DCS100 as my command station to have the cv read back capability and my DB150 serves as a booster for an accessory bus for the point motors, signals turntable, level crossing and various lights. Many of these use displaced basic loco decoders to provide the power.

Geoff

I would plump for the Digitrax Super Chief. It has two throttle knobs on the DT400 which simplifies changing the controlled loco. I think the NCE only has one thumbwheel. I have the Super Empire Builder and a Zephyr hooked together but that limits the loco stack to 10. Enough for me on my layout. Don't buy the Super Empire Builder on its own as it doesn't programme decoders. I added the Zephyr to get that facility but had to hook the SEB as a slave. I get five amps power and have used the Zephyr to power a reverse Y as it has instant digital polarity reverse.

I also get three throttles so I can run two trains roundy roundy on the Zephyr and still do some sophisticated MPD light engine and shunting using two locos on the DT400 plugged in another socket.

I might add a UT4 at some stage to allow for guests.

Digitrax are by far the best system for daisy chaining and backwards compatability for new gear. There is radio control but I think the licence restrictions kill it in the UK. The DT400 comes as standard equipped for infra red or plug in to your choice (more kit needed for the infra red and most of us don't bother).

Useful reviews of a number of offerings in the current (August) Toddler.

And quite a (imo) well balanced set of reviews too!

Though there was a mistake on the Elite review - stating that it takes 5 turns of the knob to get to full speed - that only applies if you turn the knob slowly, turn it quickly and it will go through the speed steps quicker.

Useful reviews of a number of offerings in the current (August) Toddler.

Except that the one on the ECoS fails to mention that it can store 16,000 locos, the text, in my view, gives the impression that it is only 10. It also says that there are two versions, "the forthcoming" colour and mono, even though the mono is discontinued, and the colour version went on sale in April February. The illustrations are all of the mono version. It doesn't mention the track plan diagram at all for setting routes and changing points, signals, etc.. The latest manual for software version 3.1.0 onwards is a big improvement over the old one for the mono ECoS, but the reviewer seems to be harking back to the 2007 manual for the mono ECoS. The pictures are all of the mono ECoS. I may be an ECoS nut, but I was not impressed, print deadlines notwithstanding. I hope the descriptions of the other items were more accurate.

I was also puzzled that they included the ZTC 511. A more obvious choice would have been the NCE PowerCab and/or Procab, but I suppose they were trying to support ZTC as it is British.

Except that the one on the ECoS fails to mention that it can store 16,000 locos, the text, in my view, gives the impression that it is only 10. It also says that there are two versions, "the forthcoming" colour and mono, even though the mono is discontinued, and the colour version went on sale in April February. The illustrations are all of the mono version. It doesn't mention the track plan diagram at all for setting routes and changing points, signals, etc.. The latest manual for software version 3.1.0 onwards is a big improvement over the old one for the mono ECoS, but the reviewer seems to be harking back to the 2007 manual for the mono ECoS. The pictures are all of the mono ECoS. I may be an ECoS nut, but I was not impressed, print deadlines notwithstanding. I hope the descriptions of the other items were more accurate.

I was also puzzled that they included the ZTC 511. A more obvious choice would have been the NCE PowerCab and/or Procab, but I suppose they were trying to support ZTC as it is British.

The lack of the NCE systems in them odeler suprised me because it and digitracks are imo the two big players for both entry levl and the more advance systems so they offer a very wide range the esu system on the other hand is extreamly expensive and out of the reach of many so it seams a little waste to include it. I think ztc ystem is like the marmite of dcc systems you eitrher love it or hate it

Sam

Another question is where do you intend to go with DCC and layout control?

Are you intending to add extra sophistication such as computer control?

The Dynamis is only an entry level system, so moving up to a fully featured system may be the right move for you.

But if your requirements are modest and the only problem you have with the Dynamis is the IR signal, then why not simply add more IR receiver/transmitters to the system through a Pro Box. That would be a lot cheaper than the cost of a full NCE or Digitrax system.

Also, despite the limitations of the Dynamis, it has some features that you may miss with an alternative.

In changing to another system you will lose the ability to set each of all 20 functions to either latching or unlatching. This is particularly useful with sound and you may find other systems require more button pressing to activate and switch of each sound function. For example, Digitrax only allow one function to operate this way.

The lenz 3.6 system allows choice of latching or momentary operation of all 28 functions.

If computer ops is required in the future a lenz interface will be required.

I have been a lenz user for 15 yrs and still very happy with it.

Ian

Given equivalent system capability, it's all about the interface that suits you best. Try them all if possible to see if there is one that feels 'just right'. As another Lenz100 user my initial reaction to the handset was that it seemed a little spartan, and that I would probably fairly quickly supplement it with a Rocomouse or LH90 handset to get a 'turn the knob' control. But after a little user time, it emerged that the handset may be operated single handed, and is easy to navigate by feel, so that the train is watched, while one hand does the driving, and the other holds a cup of tea or whatever.

The major attraction with the Lenz was its' thorough documentation, and reputation for reliability; that way I felt confident that any problems would be down to me and not in the 'black box'. And so it has proved. Coming up to five years use, and it has never missed a beat; literally not a single problem.

Are there going to be any physical changes or improvements to the LH100 when the update is released later this year, or is it just a firmware/software upgrade?

AFAIA there's still no news on the new Lenz throttle, 3 years after they said there would be a new one on the way.

At the moment, the TouchCab (iPhone/iPod Touch) app. looks like the only new option.

Well I ended up choosing between NCE and Digitrax and went with the Digitrax Super Chief. I got the 8amp version for the same price as the 5amp and I don't regret my decision.

Apart from price over NCE, I based my decision on the size of the stack and the appeal of Loconet for long term plans for computer control. Hopefully with the 8amp system, I won't find the need for a further upgrade, which was also one of my main concerns.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I ended up choosing between NCE and Digitrax and went with the Digitrax Super Chief. I got the 8amp version for the same price as the 5amp and I don't regret my decision.

Apart from price over NCE, I based my decision on the size of the stack and the appeal of Loconet for long term plans for computer control. Hopefully with the 8amp system, I won't find the need for a further upgrade, which was also one of my main concerns.

I am glad you found just the product you wanted - i hope all the advice and opions on here added value to your decision

I hope the system gives you many happy and trouble free years of good service

Sam

I am glad you found just the product you wanted - i hope all the advice and opions on here added value to your decision

I hope the system gives you many happy and trouble free years of good service

Sam

Thanks Sam!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived