Gronks Go Beat!*

BachelorBoy

What are the best sources of information on the Gronk-like shunters that English Electric exported to places like the Netherlands, Australia, and South East Asia, please?

*Apologies for the title of the thread. I just couldn't resist a pun on the so-bad-it's-good film from the 1960s, Gonks Go Beat!

It depends on what information you're after. 

Essentially the EE 350HP export "family" includes 20 locomotives to the Malayan Railway, 15 to Egypt, 2 to Sweden, 125 to Netherlands, 15 to Victoria, Australia (five originally to the State Electricity Commission, later to VR) and 5 to Sudan.  Similar locomotives went to British industry (ICI), 

I don't know of a single source that describes these locomotives together and in detail.  There will be some inclusion in "Power for the World's Railways: GEC Traction and Its Predecessors, 1823 to the Present Day" (Bradley, which includes works numbers), a bit of background to EE engine development in "The Diesel Impact on British Rail" (Tufnell) but neither are comprehensive.  Doubtless there will be coverage in contemporary issues of "Diesel Railway Traction" (which was a supplement to the Railway Gazette).  A recent book from BOHRT ("LOCOMOTIVES AND RAILCARS OF THE EGYPTIAN STATE RAILWAYS 1852-2002") has but a short section on service in Egypt.

As has been given, web links associated with destination countries should be helpful.

(I was thinking more of Bronski Beat).

• Agree 1

I can't offer any sources of information on the Sudan Gov. Rlys. "gronks" but here's a photo of one (Hawthorn Leslie 3855/1936) I took at Atbara works on New Year's Eve 1982.

Ray.

BW83-12 SR #402 Atbara works 31.12.82.jpg

Edited by Marshall5
Additional info.
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1