Fitting sound to Hornby rebuilt Merchant Navy locomotive

AyJay

Having contacted one of the traders who will be at Warley, to ask about DCC decoders, their reply was "Sound or no sound?".

Sound would be nice to have, but I have no experience with fitting sound. I have only ever purchased 'ready fitted' before.

The locomotive is Hornby R3617 Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class 'Elder Dempster Lines'.

Looking on the Hornby website, their range of TTS products is very limited.  They also have what appears to be chips which you program yourself with downloadable sound files.

"This is getting complicated!"  I thought.

Can anyone please advise me as to how to select a sound decoder, plus speaker, and how to fit them?

I also note that the model does not have pickups on the tender, so I think that I will also need the 'stay alive' capability.

Thank you.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AyJay said:

Having contacted one of the traders who will be at Warley, to ask about DCC decoders, their reply was "Sound or no sound?".

Sound would be nice to have, but I have no experience with fitting sound. I have only ever purchased 'ready fitted' before.

The locomotive is Hornby R3617 Rebuilt Merchant Navy Class 'Elder Dempster Lines'.

Looking on the Hornby website, their range of TTS products is very limited.  They also have what appears to be chips which you program yourself with downloadable sound files.

Can anyone please advise me as to how to select a sound decoder, plus speaker, and how to fit them?

I also note that the model does not have pickups on the tender, so I think that I will also need the 'stay alive' capability.

Thank you.

Not my region, so have not fitted sound to one of these, but perhaps this will help. You might need access to Key Model World though.

https://www.keymodelworld.com/article/video-Hornby-merchant-navy-sound-upgrade

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, AyJay said:

Yes it does have tender pickups like almost all of Hornby's tender locomotives. It also has the DCC socket in the tender as well as a place for a speaker so fitting sound should be fairly easy. I have this model myself but am not using sound.  See the attached service sheet which shows the layout of the tender.

MN-2nd.pdf

3 hours ago, AyJay said:

Thank you.

We've all been there .

I knew very little when starting off with DCC 

More confident these days .

Don't know anything about the MN but if it's a modern model, it is likely to have provision for a sound or non sound decoder and some times written info on where to fit said decoder. 

The sound provider will be able to advise on what type of decoder you need I.e. 8 , 21 ,22 pin .

If you really aren't confident of doing it yourself , most sound providers will offer a fitting service including fitting a stay alive at reasonable cost.

HTH

Edited by Albie the plumber
Spelling !