Longworth's new book - BR Diesel & Electric Locos

Peter Kazmierczak

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Has anyone seen/received a copy yet? "Amazon" says published 6th Nov, but delivery time shown as between the end of Dec 2023 and May 2024!

Crecy is now saying January.

• Like 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Peter Kazmierczak said:

Has anyone seen/received a copy yet? "Amazon" says published 6th Nov, but delivery time shown as between the end of Dec 2023 and May 2024!

Hello Peter, unlike the main owner Amazon we have no plans to go into space off the proceeds of our customers. But we did post on 3 November the latest on this title and a few others as we do our best for customers.

Just passing on the news as we all expected several titles to be in stock around now, but the publishers Crecy seem to have had issues as they now advise that October/November releases for these two titles are put back to January 2024.

We already have advance orders for these which we will honour when the publishers actually release them, meanwhile we are still taking advance orders for those customers who want to roll them into our Christmas Bonus Offer, which means we will send out what you order now and the two delayed titles to follow in January.

All very frustrating for everyone of course, the titles affected are:

British Railways Freight Terminals Since 1960

51pKcV-SvAL.jpg?v=1697191325

British Railways Diesel and Electric Locomotives

5169212rwAL.jpg?v=1697190741

Also suffering delays are Lightmoor Press with these two titles now due late November rather than the anticipated late October.

The Railway Over the Stainmore Pass Post-War Boom and Bust on the North Trans Pennine

lmstain1.jpg?v=1697116326

Also caught in the same delay is:

The L&NER Delivers the Goods Volume Two The Scottish and North Eastern Areas

LMLNER1.jpg?v=1697115594

These two are expected to arrive with us late November so will be shipped ASAP upon arrival.

Our own new title Sir Nigel Gresley The L.N.E.R.'s First C.M.E. is very much still on target for release on 15 November as planned.

https://strathwood.co.uk/products/sir-nigel-gresley-the-l-n-e-r-s-first-c-m-e-launched-15-november-2023

GRESLEYCOVER.jpg?v=1697451689

Kevin

Kevin

• Thanks 1

• 4 months later...

I've had this book on pre-order with Amazon for months. Last week they showed delivery due today, Monday 8th April, however I just received a cancellation of order from Amazon due to the unavailability of the book. It's still shown as available to order from Waterstones, WH Smith etc.

Does anyone know what is happening with this title?

14 minutes ago, WILLIAM said:

I've had this book on pre-order with Amazon for months. Last week they showed delivery due today, Monday 8th April, however I just received a cancellation of order from Amazon due to the unavailability of the book. It's still shown as available to order from Waterstones, WH Smith etc.

I did try to email the author, but he seems to have changed his email since I last contacted him. Have just asked Crecy (the publishers) what's afoot - awaiting their reply.

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

Latest I can offer on this saga having just spoken to Crecy, myself.

They hope to have British Railways Diesel and Electric Locomotives released now in early May and British Railways Freight Terminals Since 1960 for late May...

As frustrating as this latest news is, the fact seems to be that Crecy are focusing on the aviation market for the future.

Needless to say, as we order stock every week from Crecy we will let everyone know if we get a "hard" publication date for these as we have many customers waiting patiently for these titles.

5169212rwAL.jpg?v=1697190741

Kevin

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

It sounds like it will be here eventually which is great but I wonder what the 'data' cut off date was before it was sent to the publisher? There's been quite a few disposals relatively recently including class 58s, 91s, 69 conversions etc., and I wonder if they made it into the book? Of course it would never be up to date as things are constantly changing.

• RMweb Gold
On 08/04/2024 at 12:43, WILLIAM said:

My Amazon pre-order is still in place at the moment. 

Roy

• 3 weeks later...
  • RMweb Gold

British Railways Diesel and Electric Locomotives

Yes, a pallet full of them arrived in our warehouse this afternoon (badly packed) once we have pulled out the damaged stock, we will be shipping undamaged copies to all of those customers who have been patiently waiting on this one.

Whereas, British Railways Freight Terminals Since 1960 also advertised at the same time for release in October last year is now set for some time in June.

Kevin

Posted (edited)

Got my copy today; this is a book I've been wanting to see for a long time as it compliments Hugh's earlier tome on steam locos.

Just had a cursory glance through it: noted a few typos - didn't know 50s were only 2000 hp...

Anyway, purpose of this post is to alert you that it only covers British-built locos. So you won't find anything on 59s, 66s, 67s, etc.  Fair enough, I suppose, though why there's no mention of the Brush-built class 92 electrics is very puzzling.

PS It does include HST power cars though.

Edited by Peter Kazmierczak
  • Informative/Useful 1

Yes , I've just had a flick through my copy that arrived today and thought the same about class 92s. Scrapping locations are also omitted but these can be found in Ashley Butlin's excellent 'Diesel & Electric Locomotives for Scrap' that complements this release.

Inevitably with a book containing so much data there are also going to be some errors, e.g. 37427 was officially named 'Bont Y Bermo', but I cannot see any contact details to send these to for possible future editions. Another thing I've spotted is the inclusion of denaming dates seems hit and miss for some locos particulary original class 60 names, e.g. 60085 'Axe Edge' lost its plates around 1997 before being renamed 'MINI Pride of Oxford' in November 2001 but there is no mention of the denaming.

I really like the allocation listings section, very useful and interesting.

Overall a really nice book but hopefully one where corrections or omissions can be addressed for future editions to make it even better and the single go to reference.

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone.  Thanks for the nice comments

The clue to the contents is in the title - "British Railways"  As always my books need a cut off point, and in this case it is only stock that was built for British Railways.  Hence Class 59 not included and everything else post privitisation 

I chose the  actual cut off date of April 1994, when everything in stock was allocated to different operating companies. Class 92 came very close to being included as one (92003) was taken into stock in March 1994.  But I had to draw the line somewhere.  (My original plan was to include everything up until tops renumbering, so classes 43 (HST), 56, 87, 89, 90 and 91 would not have been included either).

I'm always open to corrections and additions. Contact me here or at hugh "at" dunamis "dot" uk "dot" com

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

On 08/05/2024 at 14:20, Hugh Longworth said:

Hi everyone.  Thanks for the nice comments

The clue to the contents is in the title - "British Railways"  As always my books need a cut off point, and in this case it is only stock that was built for British Railways.  Hence Class 59 not included and everything else post privitisation 

I chose the  actual cut off date of April 1994, when everything in stock was allocated to different operating companies. Class 92 came very close to being included as one (92003) was taken into stock in March 1994.  But I had to draw the line somewhere.  (My original plan was to include everything up until tops renumbering, so classes 43 (HST), 56, 87, 89, 90 and 91 would not have been included either).

I'm always open to corrections and additions. Contact me here or at hugh "at" dunamis "dot" uk "dot" com

Thanks for the explaination Hugh.

Personally however I think the Class 92s should be included, and would make a better cut-off, as they were the last locos ordered and built for BR.

p.s. I've emailed you through some potential corrections for you to consider