The non-railway and non-modelling social zone. Please ensure forum rules are adhered to in this area too!

Any decorators or DIY experts about?

spikey

What grade of abrasive paper do I need to finish-sand Polyfilla-type filler with an orbital sander?  And what type of paper's reckoned to be best for this?  (Yes I do have quite a lot to do and hand-sanding's out at the moment due to a shoulder problem.)

I would agree.

Having had to sand my own go at plastering, you could hang your coat on it, it will make one hell of a mess. A normal vacuum connected to the sander won't last long. It clogs everything. 

Best of luck. 

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold

Screwfix sell flexovit sanding discs for orbital sanders which are pretty good, I use 120 grit and that gives a good base for starting with. 

The only time I've seen decorators use finer grades is for decorative plasters and highly polished wood finishes. 

• RMweb Gold

I  recently sanded down my hallway wall after filling and used 120 grit discs after a coat of filler, to hide the dodgy plastering my missus had done before I met her. 

I'm not sure if you can see how the wall looks in the photo. 

Make sure that you have an extract system or vacuum attached to your sander though and wear a pp3 grade mask as a minimum, I've had way too many bad chests over the years from not protecting myself adequately. 16999076288491914295789605170715.jpg.9469209024f62f98d450730e369fd7f4.jpg

Edited by rka
  • Agree 2

This stuff:

SandingMesh.jpg.7d58e4b07cbe1b747a671aa481a75fc7.jpg

https://www.toolstation.com/prodec-advance-sanding-mesh-115mm-x-5m/p41259

Cut to size, although pre-cut sheets are also available: https://www.toolstation.com/search?q=Sanding+Mesh

Doesn't clog anywhere near as much as paper, & if/when it does it'll unclog with a stiff brush or a blast under the tap. The 5 metre roll is actually 10 metres as you can use both sides. Lasts for ages.

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

Everyone speaks of mess, you have no idea. Many years ago at the old house my wife sanded the walls in the lounge one day when I was out at work, it looked like a nuclear winter when I got home, EVERYTHING was covered in a thick white/grey layer of dust. Took days to clear up.

• Friendly/supportive 2