RMweb

Cordless impact drivers -why???

spikey

Only thing with impact tools, vibration  white finger if you use them for too long, part of my last job prior to retirement was to get all hand tools tested and we had a chart of the maximum amount of time you should use them per shift. We did have some heavy duty wrenches that had heated handles to reduce the risk.

• RMweb Gold

Impact drivers are just the job for larger work. For this, I'll use my standard drill for the pilot, and fire them in with the impact driver. I also use a small pot of old cooking oil to act as a lubricant (Ohh, matron!).  Using them turn & about means the ordinary drill gets half of the workload. 

As Dave Bacon & others have said, if you've seen them being used on site, then you would know why. After all, would you see a builder forking out for something that doesn't work?

Ian. 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, MarkC said:

Funnily enough, I found mine recently, whilst tidying the garage (stop sniggering) at the behest of the long-haired Admiral (AKA SWMBO). It must be of similar vintage - the impact screwdriver, that is  - and it still works!

Mark

I still use mine regularly. Especially for bolts holding brake disk bolts onto motorcycle wheels. These round off way too easy with an allen key , or with a heavy duty electric impact driver. Mechanical impact driver, with some heat first, is so far the most reliable way of getting these out (and if rounded, Dremel a slot in the head and use a wide flat bladed screw driver in the impact driver)

All the best

Katy

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
1 hour ago, Buhar said:

You do need to use good quality screws and bits with an impact driver as the torque can mash either if you hit a firm bit of wood.

Alan

Yes, quite right. The impact bits nowadays are rubbish and the screws are not much better. If its wood, then I'll pilot half of the depth, and the minimum diameter of the screw. That way, the difference between minimum & maximum is cutting in virgin wood, as is the leading point. Once again, if it's C24 CLS, Then I'll be using old chip-oil for lubricant. 

Oooo, Matron! 

On 16/11/2023 at 16:53, spikey said:

Just been marvelling at all the toys for boys in the short-form Toolstation catalogue, and I'm left scratching my head.  I know that scaffolders nowadays use impact drivers rather than the traditional spanners, and that seems to me an entirely logical move.  But what's with all the power tool makers now pitching cordless impact drivers at the building trades, complete with impact screwdriver bits?  Who uses these things, and why are they now apparently A Thing?

Have you done some medium to heavyweight duty wood working construction? By your post not because your post would of said why haven't I got one years ago! Less stain on wrist....lighter....no power leads....supper stong screwing....etc

But not suitable for all applications each tool has its place!

Bit like when yanky screw drivers first came out....what's wrong with a standard screwdriver! Said the old joiner.....productivity....

Give them a go you will love it

• RMweb Gold

I use an impact driver …. Admittedly for bolts …. For assembly and breakdown of Abbotswood and Norton Junctions . Set up = 116 bolts to undo (6mm with captive nuts) and 40 to do up. 

Decent nuts and bolts are key (not from B&Q) and have to endure torque isn’t set too high when tightening. Had a few seizures initially which meant hacking off bolt head with grinding disc in dremmel but now everything has been undone and tightened a few times no such issues. A squirt of wd40 on all the bolts before setup helps too…. 

• Like 2

• 1 month later...
On 17/11/2023 at 11:43, PeterStiles said:

I miss my "Yankee" (pump-action screwdriver to you). It was a present from my dad and I believe it was knicked by one of the builders we had at the house. It never run out of battery power! But my arms felt it...

I still have mine somewhere under the layout. I remember using it to build baseboards with a friend. He was using his drill as a driver at the same time.

I think there were 14 screws to go in, so after drilling the holes, we had a race. He has to change his bit first, then back again after & we agreed to do 7 screws each.

The result was a tie.

Cordless drills & particularly their batteries have improved a lot over the last 20 years or so. Most DIY ones used to be gutless but they are now useful tools.

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Cordless impact driver and proper Robertson bits = the cats meow for screwing wood together.  Phillips, or even worse, really cheap Robertson knock offs = not so good :)

I probably should have gone up one or two levels above the one I got- to get one which has controlled impact.  But...it is what it is, and by driving slowly, one can get fairly good control.

James

• Agree 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

By impact do you mean adjustable hammer action? If so I've had one or two of those for donkey's years. I've got a Bosch PSR18 which 12 years old sitting next to me.

(Or something like a SDS breaker with rotary stop? I've only got corded ones.)

22 hours ago, melmerby said:

By impact do you mean adjustable hammer action? If so I've had one or two of those for donkey's years. I've got a Bosch PSR18 which 12 years old sitting next to me.

(Or something like a SDS breaker with rotary stop? I've only got corded ones.)

No, Keith, it's a very powerful powered screwdriver, much higher torque than the screwdriver setting on a drill/driver (which your Bosch is).

Alan 

• Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, Buhar said:

No, Keith, it's a very powerful powered screwdriver, much higher torque than the screwdriver setting on a drill/driver (which your Bosch is).

Alan 

That must be powerful.

I've just had a look at the specs of various ones.

The highest torque drills are approaching the lowest torque impact drivers (around 150Nm)

The highest torque impact drivers are ten times that.

I've found the max torque for the PSR 18 and it's 46Nm

Edited by melmerby

• RMweb Gold
On 17/11/2023 at 11:43, PeterStiles said:

I miss my "Yankee" (pump-action screwdriver to you). It was a present from my dad and I believe it was knicked by one of the builders we had at the house. It never run out of battery power! But my arms felt it...

I recently got my Dad's Yankee screwdriver back in use. The original bits had gone AWOL when we cleared out his workshop 35 years ago but I got hold of a hex-drive bit holder to fit it.

Back when slotted screws were the norm, we lads weren't allowed near it, and TBH I now fully understand why! I rarely use the pump action.but, as the longest screwdriver I own, it still comes in handy. 

In addition to my antique B&D 400H mains drill, I have a 12v Drill-driver. However, the absence of a chuck on impact drivers allows them to be used in spaces where the drill-driver won't go.

A pal of mine who used such things "in anger" only has a big cordless drill plus an impact driver for smaller jobs and screw-driving. The impact can  be turned off!

John

Edited by Dunsignalling
  • Like 1