Splitting a dc supply for 12v lighting and 6V electromagnets

Lacathedrale

With it hooked up to a gauge one power supply and fiddling with the controls, I have found I need about 6V to operate an uncoupling magnet. 

my lighting circuit is a 12V dimmable LED strip, and track power is via a separate Dcc system.

I would like to have one 12V power supply for the layout lighting and uncouplers. In an ideal world, I would like that power supply to be split into two circuits - one of 6V, and one of 12V.

I have also heard that the current draw of uncoupling magnets will cause lighting circuits to dim, so I guess one of these two circuits needs capacitors.

I’m not sure if there needs to be a consideration of multiple magnets (3 total) off of one push button, or one button per magnet?

I think creating that separate 6V circuit is a case of adding a diode to the positive wire after a junction, then some resistors to bring down the voltage? I’m not sure at all about the capacitors!

can anyone help me out please?

EDIT: with the Seep running at 6v and AFAIK 12ohms, I assume that’s 0.5A per magnet? 

Edited by Lacathedrale

2 hours ago, smokebox said:

Better to use 2 separate power supplies IMHO.

Agreed. The surge caused by an uncoupler will dim the lighting. You might be able to do it with a single transformer with two separate 12v windings, but it'll be easier and cheaper just to use wall warts and carry a spare.

• Agree 1

• 1 month later...

Two power units is the smart move, but several diodes in series will drop the voltage  from  "12 volts" down to around 6 volts. Playcraft  / Jouef made very nice controllers which added diodes in circuit as you turned the knob  I made one from a 12 way switch and  11 (1N400 (?)) diodes dropped a 12v 10va controllers speed down to a brisk trot.   You might need 6 to get "12volts" down to 6 volts  but unlike resistors diodes with a set voltage drop (Diode Drop)  per diode are not very sensitive to load so the diode controller works very very well if you can live with the big steps between speeds,  Its still going to dim the LED lights if fed from the same power source.

• Craftsmanship/clever 1