Newcastle Central Station - Signal Identity - 1970s

Hello,

Can anyone help with the identification numbers of signals at Newcastle Central Station, in the late 60s/early 70s period?

I am attempting to build a model of the station and I'm having some of the signals build by Absolute Aspects. It would be pleasing if the signals could be correctly identified.

I'd be very grateful if anyone can help.

I already have signal N167 built (the up slow / avoiding line, protecting the crossings) seen in so many photographs taken from the castle.

Thank you in anticipation.

Bob

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

2 hours ago, The Stationmaster said:

Newcastk le resignalling notices are available on the SRS site but the panel box ciommissioning notice isn't available to non-members and might not be complete.

Hello Mike,

Thanks for the advise. Do you have an address for the site? It might be worth becoming a member if the info is there. Worth a look.

Bob 

• RMweb Gold
20 hours ago, Michael Hodgson said:

The SRS web site is https://www.s-r-s.org.uk/

If you happen to be going to Warley, they will have a stand there.

The Newcastle Central 1959 opening notice doesn’t seem to have a link on their site, which to me implies it is hard copy only at their archive.

In my folder of ‘useful stuff’ acquired from retiring engineers libraries I have a copy of the Westinghouse ‘glossy’.  Unfortunately the only plan I have is a photocopy so the numbers are a little hard to make out.

If you can advise which signal numbers you need (preferably with a diagram to make clear which one) I will be happy to try and make out the number from my copy.

Paul.

16 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

The Newcastle Central 1959 opening notice doesn’t seem to have a link on their site, which to me implies it is hard copy only at their archive.

In my folder of ‘useful stuff’ acquired from retiring engineers libraries I have a copy of the Westinghouse ‘glossy’.  Unfortunately the only plan I have is a photocopy so the numbers are a little hard to make out.

If you can advise which signal numbers you need (preferably with a diagram to make clear which one) I will be happy to try and make out the number from my copy.

Paul.

Hell Paul,

That's very kind but it's the signal number I am trying to track down.

I can recreate the signal details, as best as I can, from photographs but the images, more often than not, lack the clarity necessary to read the signal number.

I have been in touch with the S-R-S and have had a signal number confirmed for one that I have already had built (N67). Ultimately, I'll need details of all signalsin the station environs at about 1970.

Regards,

Bob

• RMweb Gold

Apologies, I wasn’t terribly clear!  I was meaning if you describe the position of the signal I’ll try and read the number.

So if you want ‘all’ of them I’ll have a go.

Do you need shunt signals as well as main signals?  And how far out - just the signals reading into the platforms or further back as well?

Paul.

32 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Apologies, I wasn’t terribly clear!  I was meaning if you describe the position of the signal I’ll try and read the number.

So if you want ‘all’ of them I’ll have a go.

Do you need shunt signals as well as main signals?  And how far out - just the signals reading into the platforms or further back as well?

Paul.

That would be great. If you PM your email address I’ll send details tomorrow.

However, the next signal being built by Absolute Aspects is a gantry with two searchlight, position and theatre signals at the end of the bay platforms at the west end of the station.

Thanks,

Bob

On 18/11/2023 at 14:30, RBAGE said:

I am attempting to build a model of the station

Now that I'd like to see - my 'money no object' layout would be the Central Station in P4 around 1976 with, for good measure, Gateshead shed on the other side of the room with the river being the operating well...

• Like 6
  • Agree 3

20 minutes ago, johndon said:

Now that I'd like to see - my 'money no object' layout would be the Central Station in P4 around 1976 with, for good measure, Gateshead shed on the other side of the room with the river being the operating well...

Money and space. Oh! Time.

• Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

8 hours ago, johndon said:

Whilst I'd like to hope I've got quite a bit of the latter, I certainly haven't got the other two although I have got quite far with the East end of the station in Templot...

CentralStation.jpg.920ebaccf5089840cc8d7c8f8b7b672b.jpg

John,

It's like a vision. Manna from heaven.

Would you be prepared to share your work, I've struggled with Templot and given up trying to produce templates for the crossings.

If you are prepared to share, would it be too much of a cheek to ask for the post 1983 layout. The prospect of producing the whole, pre 83 junction is far too daunting for me.

Great work.

Bob

8 hours ago, johndon said:

Whilst I'd like to hope I've got quite a bit of the latter, I certainly haven't got the other two although I have got quite far with the East end of the station in Templot...

CentralStation.jpg.920ebaccf5089840cc8d7c8f8b7b672b.jpg

Love that.

• RMweb Gold
2 hours ago, RBAGE said:

If you are prepared to share, would it be too much of a cheek to ask for the post 1983 layout. The prospect of producing the whole, pre 83 junction is far too daunting for me.

Quite understand, but for me Pre-83 would be important ‘cos that’s the bit I used regularly.  Although I can’t be sure, I imagine that the 83 changes would just have been recoveries of the connections to 1, 2, 3 (and docks), (and 4, 5, 6?).

Poking around on SRS for you, I discovered (for the first time) that Manors station was split between Benton and Newcastle boxes.  I hadn’t appreciated that despite travelling through on many occasions.  Thank you for prompting it.

Paul.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Quite understand, but for me Pre-83 would be important ‘cos that’s the bit I used regularly.  Although I can’t be sure, I imagine that the 83 changes would just have been recoveries of the connections to 1, 2, 3 (and docks), (and 4, 5, 6?).

Poking around on SRS for you, I discovered (for the first time) that Manors station was split between Benton and Newcastle boxes.  I hadn’t appreciated that despite travelling through on many occasions.  Thank you for prompting it.

Paul.

All enjoyable research and I'm happy that I got your juices flowing.

Thanks again for your help.

• Thanks 1

Just now, RBAGE said:

All enjoyable research and I'm happy that I got your juices flowing.

Thanks again for your help.

The diamonds will be difficult enough with the remodelled layout. The original 22 would be far too daunting.

Plus, with space limitations the loss of 4 bay platforms makes it much more manageable. 

• Agree 2

• RMweb Gold
21 hours ago, johndon said:

… with the river being the operating well...

Wouldn’t your feet get wet?

Seriously … ambitious and fascinating projects here. Please do start topics on them when they get underway.

• Agree 1
  • Funny 3

11 minutes ago, 5BarVT said:

Paul.

The fish dock and platforms 1, 2  and 3 were taken out, to become a carpark. The diamonds were about halved in number. Still complex and loads of operational interest.

I know it's a cop out but although the layout will be post '83, I'll be running a circa 1970 operation.

Ha'way lads, we can only ever produce an impression of a railway.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

4 minutes ago, BoD said:

Wouldn’t your feet get wet?

Seriously … ambitious and fascinating projects here. Please do start topics on them when they get underway.

I'll give it a go. Could take a while.

3 hours ago, RBAGE said:

John,

It's like a vision. Manna from heaven.

Would you be prepared to share your work, I've struggled with Templot and given up trying to produce templates for the crossings.

Great work.

Bob

More than happy to share but it is very much a work in progress, a lot of the 'diamonds' are, as it stands, just one rail on top of another, they've not been converted to actual diamonds and it is all in P4.  I've not seen a 1983 map with a good enough resolution to import in to Templot to draw over.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, johndon said:

More than happy to share but it is very much a work in progress, a lot of the 'diamonds' are, as it stands, just one rail on top of another, they've not been converted to actual diamonds and it is all in P4.  I've not seen a 1983 map with a good enough resolution to import in to Templot to draw over.

Having failed to master Templot, I had decided to go back to a bendy stick and a pencil. Any help would be gratefully received.

I wondered about trying to produce all the necessary templates and using Templot function to have track bases 3D printed. 

12 hours ago, johndon said:

Were you able to get anything of reasonable resolution of Newcastle to import? I can’t. By comparison, I was looking at a Wellingborough map for Templot and it was so good you could read the NW in the corner of the paving slabs.

8 minutes ago, RBAGE said:

Were you able to get anything of reasonable resolution of Newcastle to import? I can’t. By comparison, I was looking at a Wellingborough map for Templot and it was so good you could read the NW in the corner of the paving slabs.

Just the one that is the background of the Templot image I posted (and even that isn't as high as I would have liked) but I can't remember what year it was from, it is on the National Library of Scotland site.  Compared to some other places, there appears to be very little high resolution mapping of the North East available.

1 hour ago, johndon said:

Just the one that is the background of the Templot image I posted (and even that isn't as high as I would have liked) but I can't remember what year it was from, it is on the National Library of Scotland site.  Compared to some other places, there appears to be very little high resolution mapping of the North East available.

Comes of surveying after 10 pints of brown ale. 🤣

• Round of applause 1
  • Funny 3