Identify this decoder, please.

Ruston

This was in a second hand loco that I bought. I want to fit it into a loco that doesn't have a 6-pin socket and so need to identify what pin does what before I can solder the appropriate wires on, but I don't even know the make or model of the decoder to be able to look them up anywhere.

20231121_114433.jpg.71add9f379286844745493ee352ce8ba.jpg

The 6 pins are standardised and there are lots of pictures showing them, but I question whether the decoder will work as 

a) someone has soldered into the pins and they may not fit into 6 pin socket

b) the decoder looks damaged in the right hand picture 

2 minutes ago, WIMorrison said:

The 6 pins are standardised and there are lots of pictures showing them, but I question whether the decoder will work as 

a) someone has soldered into the pins and they may not fit into 6 pin socket

b) the decoder looks damaged in the right hand picture 

It was working just before I unplugged it. If you mean what looks like a chunk cut out, that's me being untidy chopping the photos together. There is no chunk out of it in reality.

Do you know which pins go to the motor and which to the pickups? They're all I need.

Six-pin is well documented for connecting to them - any search engine will produce the diagram.   If it tests out OK (read CVs, operates a motor), then get on to identification through reading CV8.   

The soldering of extra leads looks shonky, but may be for a stay-alive module - the back looks like a Zimo MX620, and the wires consistent with a stay-alive for those.   That would be confirmed with reading CV8, then subsequent CV's for exact identification.  

It was working before I unplugged it so I plugged it in to a loco with a 6-pin socket (can't put it back in the one it came out of as that loco has been dismantled). The plan being that if the loco moves the decoder is in the right way around and I only need to note the colours of the wires to the pins. I put it on the program track and all the smoke escaped from the decoder. I guess I put it in the wrong way around, but I thought the worst that could happen if it was the wrong way up is that the loco wouldn't move. There's nothing wrong with the loco that I tried it in and it's working fine again with its own decoder back in it.

Those don't look like  the original pins, they look like they have been soldered on on place of a wiring harness.

Whoever cut them short, needs a new pair of wire cutters :)

Edited by Crosland
changed my mind

To me it looks closer to a ZIMO MX622N, at least as shown here  https://fischer-modell.de/Hersteller/ZIMO/Decoder/6-polig/ZIMO-MX622N

I'd add that if there was smoke, damage has been done somewhere. A separate question is how or when that damage might manifest itself later. If it was from the decoder, I'd be interested to know if damage to the decoder could end up causing damage beyond it.

Edited by n9
Added last paragraph

• RMweb Premium

As regards the pins they look to be soldered on the same as other Zimo 6-pins I have. They have always looked a bit amateurish compared to other makes for some reason ( apart from probably CT).  Easy to be wise after the event I know but I would have removed the apparent stay-alive wires before testing it elsewhere, especially if they were not connected to anything. A stray touch together or elsewhere and it’s just goodbye unless your very lucky….. guess how I know…..

Bob

• Agree 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1