Users will currently see a stripped down version of the site until an advertising issue is fixed. If you are seeing any suspect adverts please go to the bottom of the page and click on Themes and select IPS Default. ×
RMweb

Advice on Turnouts: Size of Vee and Planing?

polybear

• RMweb Premium

Hi all,

What are your thoughts on minimum(?) turnout V angles and switchblade planing (A, B, C etc.) please?  This is assuming the layout needs to be compatible with both large RTR and Kit built Locos (steam & diesel), using a track gauge of 16.2mm (00-sf); absolute minimum radius will be 750mm - but I'm aiming for nearer 900mm.

Perhaps it's a combination of both?  For example, "don't go below a B8" - but "if you're using a C then a 1:7 is ok"?

Perhaps it gets more complicated - does it make a difference if the turnout is curviform rather than regular, for example?  And how about slips and diamonds?

I realise that other factors will also have a bearing (such as side play on wheelsets) but a reasonable starting point would be a great help please.

Many thanks

Brian

• RMweb Premium

Hi,

There are many experts on this forum who will give you sage advice, I am not one of them.!  However, from my copy of the 5th edition of the British Railway Track - Design Construction and Maintenance, table 16 indicates the following ranges for bullhead rail:

• A4 to A8 (but not GWR) with a turnout radius of circa 520mm (A4) to 1,928mm (A8)
  • B6 to B11 with a turnout radius of circa 1,248mm (B6) to 2,452mm (B11)
  • C7 to C14 with a turnout radius of circa 1,664mm (C7) to 3,840mm (C14)
  • D8 to D16
  • E10 to E16 (but not GWR)
  • F16 to F20 (but not GWR)
  • 30ft - 13 to 20 (GWR only)

Tables 17 to 29 also gives details for flat bottom rail for a range of switches from A to G

On the other questions (side play etc) I have no idea, but the experts will hopefully advise you.

Edited by NFWEM57
Additional info on turnout radius for smaller switches
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

You may find this table of use/interest, taken from Andrew Dow's excellent book The Railway - British track since 1804.

IMG20231204153725.jpg.140e575dcf651ba3fdd16f21c80820d0.jpg

On a model railway it's rare to see anything larger than a B switch and I'd imagine the vast majority of turnouts built by modellers are B6 to B8.

There are certain preferred combinations of switch and crossing which (if I remember correctly) give a better flow through the turnout.  Somewhere I've seen a table listing these but I'm currently unable to remember where I've seen it!

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Mark Forrest said:

There are certain preferred combinations of switch and crossing which (if I remember correctly) give a better flow through the turnout.

It is where the switch radius is equal or very close to the turnout radius and they are called natural turnouts.  A8, B8, C10, D12, E16 and F20 are the ones according to the 2mm Scale Associations excellent book on Track. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
34 minutes ago, NFWEM57 said:

It is where the switch radius is equal or very close to the turnout radius and they are called natural turnouts.  A8, B8, C10, D12, E16 and F20 are the ones according to the 2mm Scale Associations excellent book on Track. 

Yes, natural turnouts; that's what I thinking of.  Is it A6 rather than A8 though?

• Thanks 1