RMweb

Pontefract Exhibition 27-28 January 2024

Richard Scott

• RMweb Premium

Made the long trip over from Lancaster today.  Arrived 1330 and no problem parking, indeed there were a fair number of free spaces available.  Very enjoyable show.  Seemed a bit quieter than previously.  Spent far more than I expected. Enjoyed the tea and bun.

Excellent show.  Arrived 9.50 and found a long queue already forming.  Got in just after 10.00am and left around 4.00pm so got our money's worth!  Met lots of people I'd not seen since before the first lock down etc. and it was good to see how far many of them had come.  The place always looked busy to me with a good 'buzz' in the air.

Get there if you can tomorrow!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Premium

Great exhibition with some very inspirational smaller layouts, well worth the admission price and a 186mile round trip from Stafford 

Well done to all the club team, layout owners and operators, demonstrators and traders.

Great atmosphere.

oh and the sausage bap was first class, Phil Parker can have is cakes, sausage bap for me 

See you next year.

Terry 

Stafford Railway Circle 

• Like 2

Really good show, stayed there for 4 hours or so. Impressive layouts, backup trade and good value refreshments. Met a load of people I haven’t seen for a while. Good time!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• RMweb Gold

Can only echo what the others have said, I've never been to this exhibition before but I visited today and  I will be there next year as it was great mix of fine layouts, traders and demonstrations which kept the attention for a long time in an easily accessible and very suitable venue. Had some of my favourite layouts and from the other ones some new favourites joined the list, enjoyed every minute of being there. well done to the Normanton and Pontefract RMS.

Edited by jollysmart
spelling

• RMweb Premium

The Leeds MRS CIO would like to thank the Normanton and Pontefract MRS for their great hospitality and support at the Show.

we had a fine time and we were not the last to leave the Hall. Everything back in pur Club rooms by 7 ish.

Chapel behaved itself (one or two minor repairs have been noted, loads of wagons and other railway items have been weathered.. lots of coffee drunk.

Many, many thanks!

Baz.

Edited by Barry O
  • Like 1

• RMweb Gold
7 hours ago, duncrieviesidings said:

The Woodhill Goods team would like to thank the Normanton and Pontefract Model Railway Society for a very enjoyable weekend.

You just need to control that dog...

• Funny 1

Show content is always good. 

I feel that the venue needs flattening and then rebuilding afresh to get away from the many levels and randomness of buildings.  Someone I was chatting to said the site looks like a kids has gone through their collection of Lego and erected buildings with whatever they could find and in no coherent style.

• Like 1

"At the end of the day Trevor Chaplain walked from the woodwork room to the staffroom, clutching a fully-assembled hedge and verge trimmer. To do this, he had to go up some stairs and down some stairs, even though both rooms were on the same floor. The school had been designed in accordance with the design philosophy then in vogue at the Ministry of Education, which was based on the theory that arduous and complicated journeys from A to B created initiative in the young."

Alan Plater - "The Beiderbecke Affair".

First time I've been to Pontefract exhibition. Only managed a morning there but I enjoyed it, thanks. 

• Like 3
  • Informative/Useful 1

Agree with the others that this is a great show with lots of fine modelling on display. The only small niggle was that there were no layout details in the exhibition guide and many of layouts themselves did not have a discription pinned to the layout. My preference is that it is better to have a good discription on the layout itself without the constraints on page space, trying to include track plans and photos within the guide itself. 

My own highlight of the day: When the person on the till in the cafe, looked at the piece of cake and noted "that's not a very large slice, I will only charge you half price!"

Regards 

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Round of applause 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Agree with the others that this is a great show with lots of fine modelling on display. The only small niggle was that there were no layout details in the exhibition guide and many of layouts themselves did not have a discription pinned to the layout. My preference is that it is better to have a good discription on the layout itself without the constraints on page space, trying to include track plans and photos within the guide itself. 

My own highlight of the day: When the person on the till in the cafe, looked at the piece of cake and noted "that's not a very large slice, I will only charge you half price!"

Regards 

Nick 

We normally have a pull up with details of Chapel on it on display.. we, unfortunately  took the wrong one.. many apologies

Baz

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Regards 

Nick 

The guide sheet was partly due to the very small team of active members putting on the show, but mostly down to the sheer cost of the old style booklets. The folded A4 guide was an affordable compromise.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, doilum said:

The guide sheet was partly due to the very small team of active members putting on the show, but mostly down to the sheer cost of the old style booklets. The folded A4 guide was an affordable compromise.

A guide sheet without lots of information is not an issue providing that the exhibitors are encourgaed to provide some information on the layouts themselves.

Nick

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, stivesnick said:

A guide sheet without lots of information is not an issue providing that the exhibitors are encourgaed to provide some information on the layouts themselves.

Nick

Strangely enough.. we note that few people bother to look at info sheets.. and we get some interesting things said about the layout.. but few people ask questions as well..we don't bite and do try to answer.. apart from the stupid statements like.."Blue Pullman is only 6 car" and "the trains are far too short" 

Baz

• Like 1

4 hours ago, stivesnick said:

Nick

I think that I actually spent almost as much time reading the excellent background information on Halifax Kings Cross than I did admiring this stellar layout . Perhaps this is the way forward. A quick screen shot on your phone will give you the extra reading when you get home.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, AMJ said:

Show content is always good. 

I feel that the venue needs flattening and then rebuilding afresh to get away from the many levels and randomness of buildings.  Someone I was chatting to said the site looks like a kids has gone through their collection of Lego and erected buildings with whatever they could find and in no coherent style.

That was actually the plan twenty years ago. Sell the site for housing and build a brand new complex across the road on the site of the Prince of Wales colliery. Then they discovered a covenant on the land meaning that it could only be used for educational purposes. They way in which education is funded means that establishments must grab what ever funding becomes available hence the ad hoc nature of the growth.

• Like 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

On 29/01/2024 at 19:31, doilum said:

Halifax Kings Cross

KING - no 'S'.  A mistake that is regularly made so you are by no means the first.  Even seen it spelled wrongly in Exhibition Guides but this weekend's one is correct. 

• Thanks 1