Very Confused!

123*

• RMweb Premium

My thoughts turned to the Waverley West, Princes St Gardens and Haymarket TMD thread on here as a possible solution, in particular using the Darlington station canopy as the fiddle yard entrance, as Chimer has suggested above. The avoiding lines then run between the station wall and the backscene. This is the Waverley West plan, but looking at the photos in the layout thread, you'd never guess what the trains do just beyond the visible section.

image.png.f5f9e5d2ae5b35444498e38eff1aa61d.png

• Like 2

10 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Interesting to note in the photo a 5car HST approaching....

That's a 5-car Voyager.

10 hours ago, RobinofLoxley said:

Also hides a major train for half the run??

If you want to increase the 'length' of the run (to have a tunnel), then you'll have to use the third axis 'up/down' and have 2 Levels (Upper & Lower). It's what I did for my layout, following the 'formula' laid down by the Crewisle layout. It takes a train about 3-minutes to complete a circuit of the layout.

If this is of interest, I can provide drawings/plans to explain.

Ian

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, ISW said:

That's a 5-car Voyager.

If you want to increase the 'length' of the run (to have a tunnel), then you'll have to use the third axis 'up/down' and have 2 Levels (Upper & Lower). It's what I did for my layout, following the 'formula' laid down by the Crewisle layout. It takes a train about 3-minutes to complete a circuit of the layout.

If this is of interest, I can provide drawings/plans to explain.

Ian

That question relates to the OP hiding the fast line for half the layout, in a tunnel, deliberately. Im questioning that idea. 

Hi all, 

Thank you all so much for your efforts with this. 

I am starting to think perhaps this project is unworkable given the constraints with regards to the area I have available. 

I have mocked up this on AnyRail, it is obviously a very watered down version of what was initially proposed. Not sure what people's thoughts are on this? 

Edit: I have been playing about with N gauge on AnyRail and that seems to be a much better idea for what I can fit in? 

Picture1.png

Edited by 123*

• RMweb Gold

Choice of scale.

It comes back to prioritising what is/are the must have(s) feature of S Durham you want to have at the end of the build. If you do drop to N is the appropriate era rolling stock available and are you up for fiddly OHL equipment in 2mm? 

So for a modern day Teesside and a bit of Darlington N that would be preferable in the space you have:

• Kato IEP 5 car sets and with the correct vinyls this could be for TPE services
  • Kato IEP 9 car sets have been proposed
  • Class 220/221 Voyagers Dapol or Farish
  • HST - Dapol
  • Class 31 - Farish
  • Class 37s - Farish
  • Class 47s - Farish
  • Class 60 - Farish
  • Class 66s - Dapol & Bachmann with a new Dapol model promised and recently announced RevolutioN class 66
  • Class 67 - Dapol
  • Class 142 DMU - Dapol
  • Class 150 DMU - Farish
  • Class 156 DMU - Dapol
  • Class 158 DMU - Farish
  • Like 2
  • Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, woodenhead said:

So for a modern day Teesside and a bit of Darlington N that would be preferable in the space you have:

• Kato IEP 5 car sets and with the correct vinyls this could be for TPE services
  • Kato IEP 9 car sets have been proposed
  • Class 220/221 Voyagers Dapol or Farish
  • HST - Dapol
  • Class 31 - Farish
  • Class 37s - Farish
  • Class 47s - Farish
  • Class 60 - Farish
  • Class 66s - Dapol & Bachmann with a new Dapol model promised and recently announced RevolutioN class 66
  • Class 67 - Dapol
  • Class 142 DMU - Dapol
  • Class 150 DMU - Farish
  • Class 156 DMU - Dapol
  • Class 158 DMU - Farish

Thank you very much for this list, there are also numerous Northern liveries for some of the sprinters so plenty of stock available if I choose to go down that route. 

N Brass also seem to do a decent selection of N gauge catenary so should be workable? 

I currently have a Gaugemaster Prodigy 2, I assume this will work fine with N gauge? As will the DCC Concepts Digital points motors? 

Thanks! 

Go and have a look at the 'Hills of the North' project by @LNER4479  of this parish. He and his cow-orkers have a chapel within which to 'play' and they still can't get one of their stations in - a front bit but the rest ends up as an exceedingly tight turn and much reduced similar to that shown by @HillsideDepot above. I'm not trying to put you off, but just so you can see how big a space is needed. You may want to consider something less ambitious, say a smaller station, with perhaps a branch leading off and still have a reasonable layout.

I've got an old barn to use and even in a space of about 8.2m x 6.4m, my stations (though of prototypical length) are limited to 1.4m and 2.2m platforms and I still ended up with 1.0m (3') radius curves at the ends, by the time all the pointwork was in place - and just using Peco, not bespoke near-to-scale points.

I feel your pain.

Cheers,

Philip

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all, 

So I have decided I am definitely going to go with N Gauge for this layout due to the size constraints. 

With this in mind does anyone have any ideas as to how I can achieve what I am after. 

I would even consider modelling somewhere different provided I was able to run primarily Northern stock with the odd ‘fast’, happy for that to be either Grand Central, TPE or LNER. 

Any help would be massively appreciated. 

Thanks. 

What happens generally when you look at putting a layout in N gauge compared to 00 is that the space required for set piece items such as stations reduces by approximately half, so that the corresponding space for 'free' track increases. Although the opportunity not to squeeze the size of platforms either length or width opens up.

You have to remember that modelling scenery etc gets more intricate as everything is half the size, so to some extent the requirement for items such as the number of houses in a street, also doubles. 

Planning the layout is also affected as the number of track pieces required can also increase. 

Then you have to decide which track code you want to use. 

I hope you have had a really good look at the difference in the model sizes.

• Agree 1

Traded in some of my OO gauge rolling stock today for some N gauge ones. My particular favourite being a Northern Class 156 The detailing is so much better than I anticipated at that scale. 

Very excited to get started now. 

Just need a track plan to get me going!