Stroud Gasworks Tramway Diorama

A previous prototype thread addressed the coal tipper linking the MR at Stroud with a NG tramway serving the local gasworks.

https://heritage-hub.gloucestershire.gov.uk/autumn-2022/local-history/stroud-local-history-society

As the project has moved from research to 3D printing components for a diorama, I thought it was time to start a build thread here.

This is the Hornby end-tipping wagon I bought for the project, suitably weathered, sat on a simple mockup of the tipping gantry.

XVVIW2Z.jpg

And this is an earlier version of the 3D model. The Muir Hill loco, NG wagons, main hopper and the SG wagon gantry have now been printed.

fCqZn4k.png

Hopefully more will be posted here as further progress is made and the camera is found.

• Like 10

4 hours ago, Paul H Vigor said:

Did you hear back from the Stroud history people? Werre they able to shed anymore light on how the tippler was powered?

Yes, thankyou, I had a long and interesting telephone conversation with Mike Smith, who made the presentation on the Works. Among other interesting snippets, he suggested that there was an electrical feed from the gasworks. This was apparent when the bridges were demolished to stop children accessing the gasworks site. The powered capstans on the SG were apparently electric (despite what I thought), but the tipp(l)er was hydraulic, probably with an electrically powered compressor in the building under the hopper - hence the windows and door for access. He is local, and had established that he had a family connection with the coal traffic on the canal, before the railway connection was put in.

• Informative/Useful 2
  • Round of applause 1

13 minutes ago, Dunalastair said:

Yes, thankyou, I had a long and interesting telephone conversation with Mike Smith, who made the presentation on the Works. Among other interesting snippets, he suggested that there was an electrical feed from the gasworks. This was apparent when the bridges were demolished to stop children accessing the gasworks site. The powered capstans on the SG were apparently electric (despite what I thought), but the tipp(l)er was hydraulic, probably with an electrically powered compressor in the building under the hopper - hence the windows and door for access. He is local, and had established that he had a family connection with the coal traffic on the canal, before the railway connection was put in.

Excellent! Sounds like you spoke to just the right person!?

• Like 1

Yes, useful discussion, thankyou.

The printer has been working overtime, and most of the parts needed for the diorama are now available, albeit only the loco has been painted. With an untidy railway room as a backdrop, a mockup assembly yields this arrangement, which brings home just how tall this is going to be - especially as the overhead gantry crane and cabin are still sat at ground level.

B1kSOmW.jpg

I am still not sure how I am going to arrange the support for the cabin girders or indeed the lower part of the hydraulic ram. I suspect that there will be an element of try-and-see. Whose bright idea was it to build this at 4mm scale? I did consider 2mm scale and apart from the lack of an opening end door wagon, that might have been more manageable.  

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 09/12/2023 at 13:49, Dunalastair said:

I am still not sure how I am going to arrange the support for the cabin girders or indeed the lower part of the hydraulic ram. I suspect that there will be an element of try-and-see. Whose bright idea was it to build this at 4mm scale? I did consider 2mm scale and apart from the lack of an opening end door wagon, that might have been more manageable.  

There was indeed some try-and-see, but this is how the Stroud gasworks coal tipping dock turned out. 

cPLDr94.jpg

And a pigeon's eye view, showing the wagon turntable and more detail of the hydraulic ram.

KULqiGu.jpg

The white boards have obscured the untidy room background, but the overhead light has thrown a shadow. This diorama is much too big to fit in my little photobooth. Indeed I'm not at all sure where I am going to find space for it now! 

Edited by Dunalastair
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 2