Removing insulation from very fine wire

What's the best way with out cutting into the actual wire? 

This is decoder speaker wire 0.5mm dia. I'm using a scalpel blade to remove the insulation for a soldered joint, but keep cutting into the wire and it's getting shorter and shorter with each attempt.

As a teenager, when using the very fine armature wire you'll see on loco motors, I used to dip the end of the wire I wanted stripped into methylated spirits, remove and then light the end. A very quick flame would burn off the insulation at the end of the wire quickly and neatly without removing excess insulation and without damaging the wire either.

Edited by Damo666
Stupid typo
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1

22 minutes ago, teaky said:

https://www.toolstation.com/minotaur-automatic-wire-stripper/p30586

I previously used strippers like the ones Neil posted but bought a pair of these a few years ago, albeit from a different source (eBay).  Difficult to imagine stripping wire more easily.  (Same as DCCConcepts but cheaper.)

Decoder wire can however as little as 0.0810 mm2

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Gold
10 minutes ago, brossard said:

When preparing lamps with extremely fine wire, the only way I could do it was to gently scrape the insulation with a knife.  The wire is incredibly fragile.  I have decent set of strippers, these won't do.

John

If it's enamelled/lacquered wire you can just solder it without stripping off the coating.

Mike.

• Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 2

• RMweb Gold

It does, but loses the heat almost immedieatly so you won't burn your fingers when you strip the insulation.  Only a gentle tug is needed, and I find this cleans the wire as well, though of course you need to wash your hands now...  Much better than applying any physical strain to these very delicate wires!

• Agree 1

On 10/12/2023 at 14:42, Enterprisingwestern said:

Teeth?

I have been known to do this, but only when I do not have some suitable tool to hand. I am always worried about damaging my teeth.

Some years ago, during service in the RN, a couple of us were using the authorised tools to very carefully strip the insulation from a 115V supply cable. A young chap, keen to impress, had been watching us and grabbed the cable telling us ‘don’t mess around like that, do it this way’. He then thrust the ends of one of the strands in his mouth and instantly found out why we had been taking unusual care. The cable was still live.

• Funny 3
  • Friendly/supportive 1

On 10/12/2023 at 13:46, teaky said:

I have some similar ones, very useful for 'layout wire' right up to mains twin & earth.

For finer wires as described though, I find a pair of good, sharp scissors gives more control. Just let the blades squeeze the insulation ever so slightly, then pull sideways off the end of the wire. Usually needs a second attempt at a different angle to cut all the way round the circumference.  Much easier to do than to describe in writing!

Cheers,

Will