WW2 military vehicle ID help please

Mol_PMB

3 minutes ago, 41516 said:

No 'pulpit' to be a Priest.

Looking at the armour shape, Sexton?

image.png.9658d325cb2bfeec19f309ee77900312.png

Thanks, that Sexton looks much more like it. Similar chassis to the Priest I note.

It seems the Sexton has been made as a 1:43 scale model by Altaya, so would be feasible to model in my MSC scenario.

Many thanks,

Mol

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Mol_PMB said:

Similar chassis to the Priest I note.

There's a rabbit hole of M3/Ram & M4/Grizzly chassis, suspension and track variants in Allied armour to go down should you want to!

• Funny 1

1 minute ago, 41516 said:

There's a rabbit hole of M3/Ram & M4/Grizzly chassis, suspension and track variants in Allied armour to go down should you want to!

Thanks. To be honest my interest is more in the railway rolling stock. However, the announcement of a 7mm USA tank has tempted me to investigate a whim / cameo of a 1944 scene on the MSC Railway with some armoured vehicles. Some of my existing MSC wagons are also suitable.

• Like 3

• 4 weeks later...

the sp gun is definatley a sexton probably a mk2 with m4 suspension.

if you want 1/43rd ww2 models then the altaya range is very extensive but some are much harder to get hold of, there are numerous ww2 american vehicles like gmc 6x6, dodge wc 4x4, halftracks & jeeps.

not seen an m5/m9 h/track but there is an m3  & m16 half track in the range

the only real outside difference between an m3 & m5 is the m5 has flat mudguards and rounded rear corners, so unless you are really fussy most will not know.

the britsh did have some m3 h/tracks and were used in the sicily landings & early italian front.

great pics btw.

• Like 2

Here's another photo I've just found of Sextons being loaded in Manchester.

From Manchester Archives on Flickr. No railway involvement visible here.

Some of the concrete barges still exist on the MSC, long-overgrown.

Tanks being unloaded, n.d.

• Like 4

11 hours ago, sandsmodels said:

the britsh did have some m3 h/tracks and were used in the sicily landings & early italian front.

They also had M5/M9, some of which were still being used by the engineers in the late 1950s for front line vehicle repair duties.

• Like 2

Mol_PMB,  

You may like to have a look at the US Seatrain Lines ships acquired by the US War Shipping Administration  for the USN (two as aircraft transports), most likely used primarily from the West Coast to Hawaii, and the remaining ships to the US Army. Not true RoRo ships in the modern sense, or in the sense of train ferries of the time, as they used a RoRo cradle to lift rolling stock out of the holds.  

I would suggest these ships were instrumental in moving locomotives and armour to the UK, whilst I imagine most wagons went as KDK's (Knock Down Kits) by freighters.  The SS Seatrain Texas famously sailed (mostly) independently delivering 250 Sherman tanks to Egypt in time for the Battle of El Alamein.  It is likely that Seatrain Texas and her sister ships serving the USATC were frequent visitors to Manchester and Liverpool for the remainder of the war.

Cheers,

Chris Henderson

Edited by Chris hndrsn
grammar
  • Informative/Useful 3

31 minutes ago, Chris hndrsn said:

Mol_PMB,  

You may like to have a look at the US Seatrain Lines ships acquired by the US War Shipping Administration  for the USN (two as aircraft transports), most likely used primarily from the West Coast to Hawaii, and the remaining ships to the US Army. Not true RoRo ships in the modern sense, or in the sense of train ferries of the time, as they used a RoRo cradle to lift rolling stock out of the holds.  

I would suggest these ships were instrumental in moving locomotives and armour to the UK, whilst I imagine most wagons went as KDK's (Knock Down Kits) by freighters.  The SS Seatrain Texas famously sailed (mostly) independently delivering 250 Sherman tanks to Egypt in time for the Battle of El Alamein.  It is likely that Seatrain Texas and her sister ships serving the USATC were frequent visitors to Manchester and Liverpool for the remainder of the war.

Cheers,

Chris Henderson

Many thanks, that's very interesting. I'll have a look at their dimensions and see if they would have fitted up the canal to Manchester. If not, then Liverpool is certainly a possibility.

Have you a list of ship names?

I've looked up the Seatrain Texas and the length and beam would have fitted up the canal, but fully-laden the draught would have exceeded the canal's maximum 28'. 

Cheers,

Mol

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, Chris hndrsn said:

Mol_PMB,  

Cheers,

Chris Henderson

French friends confirmed that the 4-wheel opens and vans were delivered CKD' (maquettes'; whilst the opens have long since been scrapped, examples of the vans may be found as static stores.

• Like 2