Bachmann NRM "Deltic" prototype #32-522NRM

Purchased as part of a recent Hattons' Christmas sale for around GBP90.00,  the loco arrived in pristine shape,  however, on removal from the packaging it was obvious that one windscreen moulding had come unstuck and was loose in the cab.

Prior disassembly I did a test run and the loco ran superbly.  I presumed the lack of directional marker lighting was prototypical for such an early British diesel and did not give it much thought.  Upon disassembly I noticed black tape over each end of the chassis where LEDs may have been fitted.  I removed the tape and sure enough the directional lighting was functional. 

On the NRM model did Bachmann use a stock later release "Deltic" chassis and simply block off the LEDs as the black tape used was the same as other black tape on the chassis?  Most likely unprototypical but I opted for functional directional lights.  

My Bachmann prototype Deltic had operational lights from new. I don't like the bright blue-white LEDs used, but that's what they chose from the factory. Rather than cover them up, I would simply not bother turning them on (on DCC). I would assume that the previous owner did not use DCC and therefore chose to cover the lights up.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

4 minutes ago, Hroth said:

Rather than covering the LEDs entirely, how about a thin dab of yellow acrylic paint on them to tone down the LED colour and brightness?

One of these days I'll do that on mine. I have turned down the brightness of the marker and tail lights too (again, a DCC thing most decoders allow one to do). For DC users, a thicker blob of paint might do the trick.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

I can endorse Hroth’s suggestion, having had to resort to this on some small sets of Christmas LEDs which purported to be “Warm White” but proved to be anything but! 

I would suggest trying a range of colours on a spare LED before committing to the model; I settled on a skin tone which wasn’t too bad. If unhappy, wipe clean the LED with thinners and start again.

• Like 2