Engineer's 'Dutch' Livery on wagons - when did it end?

Alex TM

• RMweb Premium

Hi everyone,

There is pleanty of information available about the introduction and application of 'Dutch' livery to the engineer's wagon fleet.  However, can anybody advise me as to when this livery began to disappear, and when it finally ended?

I ma paritculalry interested in the livery as it applied to Seacow, Sealion, Dogfish, Grampus, Mermaid. Zander, and Shark wagons.

The answer will help me to purchase the moct useful wagons for my next project.

Thanks in advanece for any answers, pointers, or other help.

Regards,

Alex.

I wouldn't be surprised if there are still some Dutch liveried vehicles out there on the main line today.

The 'Shenfield Shark' probably doesn't count as it's long out of use, but there are still some 4-wheel opens used on various engineering duties that present a variety of liveries from the last 30 years or so.

Mol

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Alex TM said:

"can anybody advise me as to when this livery began to disappear, and when it finally ended?"

It Started to go out of use when the three Freight Companies ( Transrail, Loadhaul and Mainline ) were formed in 1994 as they started to overhaul/ convert and/or repaint stock as needed into their respective house liveries, and of course then there was Ed and his EWS and their many pots of Maroon and Gold paint in 1996 :).

However, many of the Salmons that have been converted to Ospreys are still in 'Dutch' livery, showing that just because something got re-purposed they didn't always get a repaint ! 

As other have said, give the combined Hive mind on here and idea of your project and timescale and your get more targeted answers for your enquiry .

Meld

• Thanks 1

• RMweb Premium

Good morning everyone,

Many thanks for your response, both information and comment.

My interest is primarily one of history.  when I wandered away from rail enthusiam and modelling, the bulk of the engineering fleet that I saw were in 'Dutch' colours, with a few in olive, though sometime it was hard to tell undfer the muck and rust.  The wagon types mentioned are those I can be sure that I saw and identify on a regular basis.  When my interest in things engineering reawakened things had moved on to Railtrack and Network Rail liveries.  In a sense, I think I missed much of the transition from nationalised to privatised railway.

I do, occasionally, see 'Dutch' stock, however it is items that seem to have been left to rot in sidings.  This includes a Tope that is currently dissapearing into a woodland of Silver Birch.

As for modelling, my stock is split between early nineties Scottish (classes 08 and 26, with wagon stock in Railfreight, Sector, and Dutch liveries), and the end of Arriva Trains Wales (units in ealry and later ATW colurs).

Again, many thanks for the helpful replies.

Regards,

Alex.