Seething, Illinois

YT-1300

13 minutes ago, F-UnitMad said:

Very nice indeed!! 👍

You do realise that with that Rock Island livery loco your Era can be bang up to date as well..? 😉😁🥳

https://youtu.be/_7VRA52zo20?si=7kXmhzgb-OoViU8d

The real Rock Island didn't need any of that dynamic brake rubbish!  I've always thought the Bankruptcy Blue to be a very striking livery, but I much prefer the various hues of red and yellow!

Edited by YT-1300
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, YT-1300 said:

The real Rock Island didn't need any of that dynamic brake rubbish! 

Neither did the Soo Line. But it's more to do with the geography of where they ran not requiring dynamic brakes. On long steep grades, dynamics were more than useful....

I was going to ask in my first post if, from your User Name,  your other truck was the Millenium Falcon? You've updated your profile photo in the meantime which confirms it!! 😁😁👍👌

Welcome to the madhouse! 👋

• Like 2

1 minute ago, F-UnitMad said:

Neither did the Soo Line. But it's more to do with the geography of where they ran not requiring dynamic brakes. On long steep grades, dynamics were more than useful....

I was going to ask in my first post if, from your User Name,  your other truck was the Millenium Falcon? You've updated your profile photo in the meantime which confirms it!! 😁😁👍👌

Welcome to the madhouse! 👋

Thank you!

The Rock's core routes were pretty level so dynamics weren't needed - and would have been one more thing to be neglected in the repair shops. 

That's the thing that attracts me to modelling the RI, the run-down nature of the whole road.  Cant beat an ex-UP F9

I'm a huge Star Wars fan, so no dynamic brakes nor Star Trek in my world!

• Like 4

• 1 month later...
  • RMweb Gold
On 19/12/2023 at 23:13, YT-1300 said:

The Rock's core routes were pretty level so dynamics weren't needed - and would have been one more thing to be neglected in the repair shops. 

And in their early diesel days, they found that an FTA&B plus an F2, 4050hp, was quite enough to move the tonnage. Most roads opted for a 4-set of FTs, 5400hp, and later F3s and F7s, 6000hp.

The Rock "Never met a diesel it didn't like" as one observer put it. A wonderfully varied collection was the result. And their purchase of the unique TAs and sole DL103B for the early Rockets indicated an enthusiasm for the new tech when it was a mite immature. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Oldddudders said:

And in their early diesel days, they found that an FTA&B plus an F2, 4050hp, was quite enough to move the tonnage. Most roads opted for a 4-set of FTs, 5400hp, and later F3s and F7s, 6000hp.

The Rock "Never met a diesel it didn't like" as one observer put it. A wonderfully varied collection was the result. And their purchase of the unique TAs and sole DL103B for the early Rockets indicated an enthusiasm for the new tech when it was a mite immature. 

That's one of the things that's attracted me to The Rock, the way they just used anything and everything that was available!

This, for instance...

I also like the way they took on old stock from other railroads and ran them until they dropped.  This ex-Rio Grande Geep 7 is crying out to be modelled (I'll even forgive the dynamic brakes!)

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold

The AB6 featured in the near-dance that was the assembly of the two portions of the Rocky Mountain Rocket at Limon, Colorado, having brought up the Colorado Springs portion. I think there were about 8 shunt-moves to get it into correct order for the onward trip to Chicago. The DRGW Geep has been over-using its dynamics, I'd say.  Then there was #799, the Giant Davenport, all 110 tons of it. 

• Informative/Useful 1

• 3 weeks later...