Eastwood Town 9F gets weathered...Stage 3

The 9f looks fantastic. Really really good, amazing for a first, well, second attempt.

I have used the 'real oil' idea before, and I was also pleased with how it looked. however, you have persuaded me to go out and buy some MIG powders.

I look forward to more of your work, and I'm sure that other would also appreciate it if you posted a step by step how to again. I found this extremely useful

I don't suppose you fancy dirtying up a diesel next?

As for the blackboard paint, I think that Wilkinsons sell it. Did you have to thin it much to airbrush it on?

Cheers

Chris

It's really borderline Chris. I used it straight from the tin without any problems although I would say, it was the consistency of double cream rather than milk. I think it probably should be thinned slightly and I will probably do that next time round.

I'd heard about the MX630 but this is the first use of one I've seen so bravo.

The size of it certainly has aroused my interest having a number of wee locos to play with ;)

That's a interesting question Pete and brings me full circle. When I first played around with powders, I felt they definitely needed sealing, but I tried Dullcote over the top and it took away all the variances in shades. I asked the question on the web and the general concensus was not to seal them. To be honest I would rather seal them completely to avoid any deterioration in the finish, so if you have any ideas how it can be done, I'm all ears.

I managed to buy half a dozen cans of the original formula Dullcote before they changed it and have experimented. The strange thing is that I have seen some variance in finish. Sometimes it is pure matt and great and others have dried with a sheen. I think it is temperature variation and have read you should warm the can in warm water before spraying. This gives a much finer spray and then a matt finish.

Seems to make sense to me, so maybe I'll give that a try.

I'd welcome your ideas/suggestions as your own work is a benchmark I want to get near.

That's been my experience too, when I try to seal the powders, I loose the subtle shades. That's using a airbrush too, so it isn't a case of bathing the loco in sealant. I'm worried that a helpful hand at the club will leave finger prints; I've noticed that even with greaseless, dry hands, if I handle models that have had powders applied, and no sealant, my fingertips get weathered...

There's probably a fine line there somewhere, some sealing, but not enough to really change the character of the powders...

That's been my experience too, when I try to seal the powders, I loose the subtle shades.

Peter, maybe there's a case for applying those shades with slightly less subtlety… or have you tried that, unsucessfully already?

This is an intriguing thread and Gordon, I think you're a brave man to attack your Ivatt and 9F straight off!

I think my old non-running Mainline Standard 3 is soon to become a multi-coloured guinea pig!

• 1 year later...
  • 2 years later...

Archived