Hattons DJ Models 14xx/48xx/58xx Dismantling reassembly

I have a 58xx version of this loco, which stopped running, it is about 4 years old fso out of warranty. I followed another thread on here about dismantling and managed to getthe body off and dismantled the chassis. Great. Found a loose wire, resoldered back on and motor runs.

However. Reassembling the thing has got me stumped. I cannot get the body to fit close up to the footplate........

I think it is possibly the wiring between the block weight and the body, but I can't see anyway else to run it.

Has anyone any ideas?

6 hours ago, Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:

I have a 58xx version of this loco, which stopped running, it is about 4 years old fso out of warranty. I followed another thread on here about dismantling and managed to getthe body off and dismantled the chassis. Great. Found a loose wire, resoldered back on and motor runs.

However. Reassembling the thing has got me stumped. I cannot get the body to fit close up to the footplate........

I think it is possibly the wiring between the block weight and the body, but I can't see anyway else to run it.

Has anyone any ideas?

Hi,

I think you will find this video helpful. Ok its not the DJ version but it should give you some idea.

Edited by cypherman

• RMweb Premium
On 23/12/2023 at 17:28, Isambard Kingdom Brunel said:

Has anyone any ideas?

I suspect it’s a wire getting caught between the body and chassis on reassembly. Check the resoldered wire isn’t fouling at the top or side of the motor to the body/boiler, it is s very tight clearance.
https://albionyard.com/2017/03/20/14xx-frustration/

I’ve had two of them apart (see link), and can’t recall any specific problems with body to chassis reassembly. Obviously just make sure there’s no other things like brake gear or sanding pipes fouling on the body/chassis when it goes back together.

On 25/12/2023 at 22:48, PMP said:

I suspect it’s a wire getting caught between the body and chassis on reassembly. Check the resoldered wire isn’t fouling at the top or side of the motor to the body/boiler, it is s very tight clearance.
https://albionyard.com/2017/03/20/14xx-frustration/

I’ve had two of them apart (see link), and can’t recall any specific problems with body to chassis reassembly. Obviously just make sure there’s no other things like brake gear or sanding pipes fouling on the body/chassis when it goes back together.

Thanks I filed a couple of Vees in the weight and put a couple of drops of superglue to hold the 4 wires. That seemed to sort it. Whilst I have the cab roof off I need to paint up some crew and jobs a gud un