009 gauge rural Welsh diorama

• RMweb Gold

Hello everyone,

Over the last month I have been on and off making a small diorama based on some real locations I've explored and to test my ideas and techniques before embarking on my full size layout in the new year.

For the diorama, I used for the first time styrofoam which was quite easy to work and having 2 sheets glued together with the lake cut out on the top sheet has provided a stiffish base, not that flexing is a bad thing as again this is to test materials.

20231203_124819_1.jpg.2ab2b59a4bd6f1dd96728111c83bae16.jpg

The lake was lined with plaster of paris to form a insulating barrier against the resin due to the heat when curing could melt the styrofoam.

The sides of the embankment was filled with wet newspaper then modroc / plaster bandages.

20231203_125102.jpg.b05c697038ac29e4315cb33333790b2d.jpg20231203_131043.jpg.d42f249873037a5efb555bff062b48e5.jpg

• Like 6

• RMweb Gold

So now I turn to adding rock formations.

These was cast with plaster of paris in Woodland scenics rock moulds as trying to sculpt them by hand convincingly I've found quite difficult in the past.

They came out really well and was glued into place with woodglue and once set, the different pieces blended with plaster of paris.

20231203_133235_1.jpg.12d33cf86380ea94d2c724b7617fb0cd.jpg

The whole layout was brushed minus the rock outcrops in brown acrylic paint which dried far too dark for my liking and the centre of the lake black.

Track was laid next with track pins to secure it.

Ballast was brushed on and then sprayed with Isopropyl which I've never used before, but found it made balasting so much easier and when carefully dropping diluted wood glue onto the ballast, the ballast didn't move or group together as used to happen in the past so Isopropyl is a new favourite medium to work with.

The rock outcrops was then painted in a dark shade of grey then dry brushed with a lighter shade.

20231204_004537_1.jpg.a69602ce973d07a3738dd98cb9afbbb3.jpg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 6

• RMweb Gold

Now comes to adding the grass.

My diorama is based on a real location Rhiwbach, near Bleanau Ffestiniog that I visited in 2022 when I was working in the area, dressed in smart white shirt and smart trousers after work driving the rail replacement bus in connection with the rebuilding of Barmouth bridge, so I stood out a bit as well as one of my red London double decker buses being parked up in the Ffestiniog railways Minffordd yard!

So I got my inspiration and reference material to go off and being there in person, get a real feel for the location. Note there is only 1 tree in the whole location and no animals from being so high up.

DSC_6982_1.JPG.f6d7914264432f005761a2fc68a01c33.JPG

DSC_6973_1.JPG.1e884e803f88c5090172e3cbb2ad215e.JPG

Now time to start flocking the diorama, peco basing glue was used to stick the grass, static grass fibres being a mix of different colours, lengths and makes from Greenscenes, Woodland scenics and Peco. 

The static grass applicator I chose to use was from Greenscenes, just before Squires took over.

A mix of colours and 2mm to 4mm lengths was used to try and not make it uniform.

A additional layer was added in places but still more work required.

20231220_210813.jpg.0696a02dfb7e4f03bcbe335789e9dfd9.jpg

20231220_212936.jpg.447e9793babeab8905827f38043556e1.jpg

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 8
  • Craftsmanship/clever 4

• RMweb Gold

Now comes to filling the lake.

As mentioned at the beginning, this is a test piece and confirmed my theory I should have filled the lake first then grass after which I will explain later.

So I bought some 2 part epoxy clear resin and compatible blue and brown dyes.

One part was poured into a large clear plastic cup with a drop of brown and a drop of blue added and mixed together. 

This was left to settle for a while to allow any air to raise to the surface which I found leaving the one part resin in some hot water in a bowl helped this.

Then the 2nd part part was weighed and poured in and mixed.

Again I left this for a few minutes in the hot water to help expel the air bubbles but also make it more viscous.

This was now poured into the lake bed and after a few minutes, blew over the lake to help pop and tiny air bubbles that was still present and floating to the surface.

Unfortunately my worst fear did occur and the already laid grass was helping to draw the resin into it and will need redoing.

So personally, water first, grass later.

When set after a few days, the water was checked and was exactly effect I wanted.

DSC_3969.JPG.3df57017d6ea3e450a711f04f89270b5.JPG

A lovely reflection, however this is the Blaenau Ffestiniog region and usually windy (as well as the wettest region of Wales) so need to add ripples which I will come to the next part as it was only done yesterday and will do some more bits later.

Edited by RThompson
  • Like 9
  • Craftsmanship/clever 7

• RMweb Gold

I like the model of Moelwyn. I have a card kit to make one which the late Keith Hunt sent me as a beta test not long before he died. Must dig the file out and print/build. With Keith’s death the beta project was abandoned.

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold

So the lake now has ripples in it, I haven't added to the grass or sorted the edges of the lake yet.

The ripples was created by brushing gloss mod podge over the cured resin, then blew the ripples in using a straw and left to dry.

However I think I applied it too thick as some of the ripples have dried coudy but again, this is a test piece and getting the results I'm trying to achieve and perfecting it.

20231227_123120.jpg.4c2ef8afa74f4cdfff17e94b862f9d20.jpg

• Like 6
  • Craftsmanship/clever 1
  • Friendly/supportive 1

3 hours ago, Robert Shrives said:

That looks lovely from that angle, just need to add the local specialty of a lost and drowned slate wagon sticking out of it. 

As one who tends to add too much detail, I was wondering how many cliches you are managing to avoid. The drowned slate wagon is clearly one. Too many animals / birds might be another. I am enjoying the 'less is more' ethos / atmosphere ...