Heljan 3340 upgrade to LED directional lights

Steve Wilson

I've recently purchased a Heljan 3340 with 'Howes Sound Fitted' (possibly a LokSound V3.5?) from an auction site.

I see that the directional lights are not LEDs, but bulbs, so I'm guessing this particular model hasn't been manufactured for quite some time?

This is my first Heljan purchase, so not sure if this is a common issue with this manufacturer, but does anyone know of a guide that might exist on how to upgrade this model (or all 'old' Heljans) to LEDs?

Thank you

1 hour ago, Steve Wilson said:

I've recently purchased a Heljan 3340 with 'Howes Sound Fitted' (possibly a LokSound V3.5?) from an auction site.

I see that the directional lights are not LEDs, but bulbs, so I'm guessing this particular model hasn't been manufactured for quite some time?

This is my first Heljan purchase, so not sure if this is a common issue with this manufacturer, but does anyone know of a guide that might exist on how to upgrade this model (or all 'old' Heljans) to LEDs?

Thank you

If you look up Express models online , you will see they do an LED lighting kit for the Heljan '33/0 and 33/1 but with the high intensity light included,

However , both are shown as being out of stock currently .

Stickswipe on ebay may be able to produce kits for you if you supply dimensions but no fitting guide is likely to come with it .

HTH 

• RMweb Premium
1 hour ago, Steve Wilson said:

Thank you

Depends how handy you are.

I recently purchased a secondhand Bachmann USA Diesel, it too had DCC directional 12v bulbs (loosely wired in as the loco was not DCC ready when made), I replaced them myself with 3mm ultrabright LEDs in suitable mounts by making up a lighting unit with the approriate resistors

You can fit LED’s in place of bulbs, but what you will need to do is fit a resistor, usually about 1k ohms because there will not be any built in resistance on the model as it was not designed for LED’s.

literally just replace one for the other soldered on where the current bulbs are, but remember, an LED has polarity where a bulb doesn’t 

• Like 1

• RMweb Premium
On 25/12/2023 at 21:45, Steve Wilson said:

2005 according to Hattons info.