Wiring Peco code 100 three way electrofrog point and changing the direction in the right order

ColinK

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

Thanks, had another go at the 3 way point today.  All 4 solenoid coils are getting power, but they will only set the straight direction.  One suggestion is that because it is a symetrical 3 way point, when trying yo set the left or right direction, the two sets of point blades try to move, but because they are moving against each other the point will not change.  Anyway, I’ve removed one of the 3 way points from the layout and one of my more electrically competent friends is going to try and get them working.

• 2 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

PROBLEM SOLVED

Well, my friend Robert tried the three way point at his house and it worked properly without any modifications and told me why.  So so simple.

Now you have to remember all the ‘normal’ points already worked fine powered by the CDU, but the two three way points didn’t.  The reason was something I hadn’t thought of;  the CDU output is not AC current, but a short burst of DC current; and the little circuit board I built for the three way points uses diodes - diodes only let DC through in one direction.  So the way it was wired, the diodes were blocking the DC from reaching the solenoids.  All I had to do was swap the two wires coming out of the CDU, so the current was flowing in the other direction and everything works.  It really was as simple as that.

I have to count myself unlucky, I connected the 3 way points to the CDU at least four times, and got it the wrong way round each time.

I am glad I used the 5 amp diodes as the DCC concepts CDU when connected in the high power configuration (wires attached to the two outer terminals) gives a really big burst of power.

• Round of applause 1
  • Friendly/supportive 2

• RMweb Gold

Glad you got it sorted.

Mr Random really wasn’t your friend this time, was he!

Paul.

• Thanks 1