Skeletal logging cars

Jenny Emily

The skeletal logging cars have just arrived from KR Models. These are really good, with plenty of detail. They come in three varieties: unloaded, with three logs and with six logs. 

the logs are really good. Made of resin they are really well finished and look like real logs. They come in several different diameters for variety. All cars come with chains that can be used to lash down the logs and these attach to the outriggers quite well without needing glue.

25A193BA-35DB-46DA-B82F-B53721C00EC4.jpeg.950fc97f9345a8bf6860ce280ff049c3.jpeg

42C0C1FF-BE68-4741-A18C-D8B9E06E72F5.jpeg.fd7ae1f531312050330c54fbff876750.jpeg

2D6132E7-E6AB-49E6-91DD-DAC8B9A4EBD1.jpeg.18c18d72b74b69d118806a6201e0184e.jpeg 

• Like 5

• RMweb Premium

Indeed, these would be of much more interest to those who participate in the North American part of the overseas section of RMWeb. I know nothing about these so can't comment on accuracy but as models they look nicely done.

There’s probably huge latitude in terms of reality around these, because while many came from car builders complete, others came as kits of ironwork, the central beam(s) being supplied by the customer, and they got bashed about and rebuilt, as with any ‘industrial’ rolling stock. I think some of the really big mills even had enough resource to forge large proportions of the ironwork ‘in house’.

While I know these sorts of wagons were used widely on logging operations, what I don’t know is whether or not they figured on Class 1 railroads, I have a feeling not much, which may limit their appeal to logging layout builders.

• Like 2

• RMweb Gold
3 hours ago, Nearholmer said:

There’s probably huge latitude in terms of reality around these, because while many came from car builders complete, others came as kits of ironwork, the central beam(s) being supplied by the customer, and they got bashed about and rebuilt, as with any ‘industrial’ rolling stock. I think some of the really big mills even had enough resource to forge large proportions of the ironwork ‘in house’.

While I know these sorts of wagons were used widely on logging operations, what I don’t know is whether or not they figured on Class 1 railroads, I have a feeling not much, which may limit their appeal to logging layout builders.

There do seem to have been some on Class 1 'roads (some still appear to exist) but from photos they aren't much like these.  But KR have done an engine to go with them so there's a lot of sense in producing them .  However the US market already seems to be full of both r-t-r models and kits for such vehicles of such cars so I wonder how successful they will be in sales terms?

• Informative/Useful 1

1 hour ago, The Stationmaster said:

There do seem to have been some on Class 1 'roads (some still appear to exist) but from photos they aren't much like these.  But KR have done an engine to go with them so there's a lot of sense in producing them .  However the US market already seems to be full of both r-t-r models and kits for such vehicles of such cars so I wonder how successful they will be in sales terms?

I beg to differ. There's the old Rivarossi log cars (now Hornby) and some ancient kits from Roundhouse but otherwise, modellers of logging roads have had to rely on limited, dated, brass imports from the Far East. These from KR look nice but they are very similar to the Rivarossis, but without the folding stakes. Perhaps KR will follow up with some high-stake log cars suitable for use on Class 1 roads. With Rapido et al concentrating on equipment that suits their Class 1s on the east side of Canada, those of us who model the forest products movers on the west side could do with lots of cars - high-stake log cars and wood chip gondolas particularly. (CJL)

• Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Gold

They look great. Looking at the bark, my guess is Douglas Fir. New growth and old growth - bottom ones about 300-400 years old.

First day back at work, and my procrastination levels are high.

• Like 1