Modelling Bon Accord in OO gauge

Hi all, new to RM Web so trying to figure out how to post- do let me know if this is the wrong page.

For a few years now I've felt that Bon Accord or a Bon Accord inspired model would look fantastic and I was just wondering whether anybody else had taken the plunge before now. With Hattons Andrew Barclays coming back at a very reasonable price, is it a potential model to make?

I'm not 100% aware of the specifics of Bon Accord and whether they match up with the models which Hattons are producing, and my painting skills are definitely not good enough yet to risk such a beautiful model such as the Andrew Barclay, but just producing the side plates and a few pieces which can be easily removed from the model seems doable.

Any opinions??

• Administrators

Making the side skirts removable might be tricky. I'd just glue them in place. It's your model, a mass produced toy train, not a unique piece of Faberge art. Don't be scared of it. As for painting, a little weathering will cover a multitude of sins. 

Ultimately, it's just toy trains. If anything goes wrong* , then nobody dies. 

*and you have the RMweb safety net of advice too. 

• Like 3

46 minutes ago, Phil Parker said:

Making the side skirts removable might be tricky. I'd just glue them in place. It's your model, a mass produced toy train, not a unique piece of Faberge art. Don't be scared of it. As for painting, a little weathering will cover a multitude of sins. 

Ultimately, it's just toy trains. If anything goes wrong* , then nobody dies. 

*and you have the RMweb safety net of advice too. 

Cheers! 

A little glue never hurt anybody and is easily removable, already had to do a weathering job on a damaged Peckett so have a bit of experience with it- RM Web helped give me ideas and where to go for equipment.

Does feel a little daunting, especially since the only AB I have right now is the CR blue one which definitely seems to be the one everyone's after- so I have time to consider before Hattons re-release them, or I find an appropriate one second hand.

8 hours ago, miniatureluna said:

I'm not 100% aware of the specifics of Bon Accord and whether they match up with the models which Hattons are producing, and my painting skills are definitely not good enough yet to risk such a beautiful model such as the Andrew Barclay, but just producing the side plates and a few pieces which can be easily removed from the model seems doable.

Any opinions??

Hello and welcome. The link below provides some details about Bon Accord.

https://preservedbritishsteamlocomotives.com/works-no-807-aberdeen-corporation-gas-works-bon-accord-0-4-0st/

It's a smaller (12-inch cylinder) and older locomotive than the Hattons Barclays. Don't let that stop you. 

Poking around on the web, I see Aberdeen Gas Works No. 3, which might be a more straightforward starting point.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/irishswissernie/43384294140/

I've made up a model of No.3 myself [goes nicely with the wagons Hornby did a couple of years ago].

Used brass sheet - left over from the etched parts for a tank so can't be specific as to thickness - and adding the skirts [with glue] was quite transformative

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Caledonian said:

I've made up a model of No.3 myself [goes nicely with the wagons Hornby did a couple of years ago].

Used brass sheet - left over from the etched parts for a tank so can't be specific as to thickness - and adding the skirts [with glue] was quite transformative

I don't think I'm quite experienced enough to use brass sheet yet, do you reckon plasticard might do the job? 

If you have any photos of your model for inspiration as well I'd love to see them! I was initially just curious as to whether anybody had ever tackled it before.

No having a camera at the moment makes photies kinda difficult.

However...

plasticard is probably too thick

brass sheet is dead easy for this job as no bending or shaping is required. Its just a flat rectangle cut to size - on a cutting mat.

Then undercoat it, and paint the inside face black. 

As to glue some kind of cyano [superglue] worked fine for me. Run a thread along the side of the footplate and on the outside of the motion bracket and Bob's your uncle

As to the base model. I picked the Burnley Corporation Gas one as the blue livery looked about right and it had the combination of spectacle plates that I needed for No.3. I don't know whether its still available so you may need to settle for another and do  a whole new paint job. There is [or was] quite a variety of cab arrangements offered by Hattons so be careful to get the nearest available

One thing that you will need to do is discard the casing for the handbrake and cut a rectangular hole in the back of the cab to access the firebox - you'll see it in photies of the original, but be warned you may need to cut it a touch oversized on account of the hole for the handbrake, but hey, we can't have everything 

On 30/12/2023 at 19:40, Caledonian said:

plasticard is probably too thick

It comes in all sorts of thicknesses. Anything from 5 thou. to 60 thou. so Plasticard is quite suitable.