Where to find DIY 3d prints?

Hi all,

I'm quite busy with my every day job - as such, I don't have too much spare time to spend creating 3D models. 

Does anybody have any recommendations on shops/sites that I can grab files to print on my own printer? 

I model in the 1950's SR in 00, any help would be much appreciated! 

Thanks!

3 hours ago, WT85 said:

Hi all,

I'm quite busy with my every day job - as such, I don't have too much spare time to spend creating 3D models. 

Does anybody have any recommendations on shops/sites that I can grab files to print on my own printer? 

I model in the 1950's SR in 00, any help would be much appreciated! 

Thanks!

Thingiverse for free

Cults3d for small fee

• Like 1

Hi and happy new year to all.......... so what type of printer and how adept might you be at modding an stl. The question has been kicked around a fair bit, and as someone that designs and prints OO models its a very wide subject. Look for Iron Minks excellent models on thingiverse, designed for resin but ive modified some for filament myself. Now having bought a resin setup im seeing how those he releases for free work for me. Im still part doing brakes and other details in filament as I find it works better for me. Perhaps the fine and to scale detail is too delicate for me, but thats what I find. Thats the problem 1 persons version that is designed and set for their making is fine fine for them, but dosent quite work sliced and printed elsewhere. Theres plenty of prints around but most I see need playing with in some form or other. Also the question re selling stl files seems filled with variables. How is your type of printer setup, can you print a high detail part of your own design which should show it can translate to an imported stl. Some sell but have never printed except through 3rd party printers so have never run a model around their layout for hours to confirm all is well. Screenshot shows my work up for brakes for the Plate and Trestle wagons from the same source, again it works for me with the body in resin, so a different way but works for me. I lose too many small details no matter how I try to handle and snip off suports.      just my 2 cents worth.......  

Image1.jpg

What do you want to make? If you are looking to print complete wagons or locos, then you may be disappointed. Designing these is not easy so most of those who have taken weeks to learn it are unlikely to give away their hard work for free.

I felt that getting into 3d printing 'because it looks useful' was the wrong approach for me.

It was when I wanted to make window frames for buildings a particular way that I looked at 3d printing as being a way to achieve it. It allowed me to get my design on screen & print it repeatedly.

I have since found that it provides a solution to make certain other things: lamp posts, coach seats, doors, stairways, detailing parts.

• Agree 1

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I have an Ender 3 V2 - for what it is, it prints fabulously. I print a lot (multiple items a week) for my day job, I'm only limited by the bed size of course. 

In terms of what I'd like to print:

Small items such as, fencing, bridge girders, benches etc. 

I'd also like to have a go at some buildings. I printed some cottages off a while ago which came out fantastic. Low relief industrial would be a particular interest.

I'm not too fussed at wagons etc, I have more than enough to keep me going! 

Of course, keeping in the theme (or close to) the 1950/60s SR.

I'd be interested in anything I can have a go at printing really! If they are free then brilliant, but if not I'm (of course) very happy to pay for quality STL's. 

That leads me to a more in depth question, where/who would you all recommend to have a peek at? 

I'm well into Thingiverse. Iron Minks collection looks good! Are there anymore people who produce similar designs?

Thanks so much. 

Yeggi.com is kind of like a search engine for 3D prints, and will go off and search  a whole heap of different  sites so you dont need to.

The actual algorithm seems to be in a world of its own sometimes when it comes to some of the results,   for instance putting in "british railways" gives a fair mixed bag, but some  at least look interesting:  

Screenshot(264).png.34ed768deffd45823c04417832305048.png

• Like 1
  • Informative/Useful 1

Too be fair you have to dig further than a algorithm search....I go on hunt once a month

I nearly fell off my seat on my last hunt as I found a vga Kong wheel base van on cults 3d cracking model rescaled to 3mm and printed on anycubic mono x., if you then use cults similar icons ther is loads of stuff cars etc that don't come up in searches 

Seek and you shall find

20231104_204843.jpg

20231109_212831.jpg

20231109_212904.jpg

20231120_021054.jpg

20240103_110054.jpg

• Like 1

• RMweb Gold
On 01/01/2024 at 01:27, WT85 said:

Thanks for the tips everyone!

I have an Ender 3 V2 - for what it is, it prints fabulously. I print a lot (multiple items a week) for my day job, I'm only limited by the bed size of course. 

In terms of what I'd like to print:

Small items such as, fencing, bridge girders, benches etc. 

I'd also like to have a go at some buildings. I printed some cottages off a while ago which came out fantastic. Low relief industrial would be a particular interest.

I'm not too fussed at wagons etc, I have more than enough to keep me going! 

Of course, keeping in the theme (or close to) the 1950/60s SR.

I'd be interested in anything I can have a go at printing really! If they are free then brilliant, but if not I'm (of course) very happy to pay for quality STL's. 

That leads me to a more in depth question, where/who would you all recommend to have a peek at? 

I'm well into Thingiverse. Iron Minks collection looks good! Are there anymore people who produce similar designs?

Thanks so much. 

Could you please post some photos of your output from your Ender 3 V2.