Locoman - D&H or ESU?

MikeParkin65

• RMweb Gold

Considering buying Locoman sound for the new Hornby 2mt and, perhaps the A2/3 as well. Apart from price I wonder if anyone has any thoughts on the relative merits of one or the other? I'm particularly interested in running quality (for which Zimo is my benchmark ) but also other experience including longevity. For the 2mt I am also considering the space available, its tight in the tender and the ESU Micro would allow for a bigger speaker.

Hello

Thank you for your consideration

Our D&H 8 Pin is a very popular decoder due to its dimensions (20,2 x 10,5 x 3,0) (2,6/1,6 W (4/8 Ω)) and to the wired harness that make it easy to be manipulated. ESU Micro is a small decoder as well but it comes with a rigid flexible harness

They are both in stock

Choice is yours!!!

Saluti

Alex

Edited by Locoman58
  • Thanks 1

• RMweb Gold

I've used both the ESU and D&H decoders from Locoman.  I think the D&H decoder is very good with it's smaller form factor and that means an easier installation.  ESU decoders are slightly larger but also have many options to configure them which can be handy if you like to program (which I do!).  In terms of motor control, I think D&H works best straight out of the box.  With Loksounds, I typically have to do autotune a couple of times and then further adjustments of CV53 and 54 to get them running how I like.  In terms of sound functions, both are very good and again, D&H works well straight out of the box, but with ESU I can adjust things further if I want.  As Alex says, the choice is yours.

I've done up a video showing the difference between TTS, Soundtraxx Economi UK, D&H and Loksound here if you want to compare the sounds.

Cheers

Tony

• Thanks 1
  • Informative/Useful 3