Bachmann OO Standard Class 5 Makeover

• RMweb Premium

8679E193-1EB1-466F-85E0-189B439FF76E.jpeg.7cd01fb301d80445b76508dfbdd6af46.jpeg

The OO Bachmann BR Standard Class Five has been a consistent release since the early noughties. It was one of their first Blue Riband releases and one of those models that made us sit up and think that this is a good thing! Primarily it it is a fundamentally very good model, especially when you consider it was released something like twenty plus years ago, and the changes within the hobby since then.

It’s core attributes are that is an accurate and well captured model. (They run pretty well too) The core dimensions are correct and the shape is correct, so why would I mess around with one?

Well around 2010 two releases came out that had an incorrect mix of tender and locomotive, and the model here in the video is one of those examples. I should immediately say that Bachmann did recognise the issue and made correct locomotive bodies available for customers to swap over.
CE82A038-82B9-41B5-9A76-04EE3F17BF1F.jpeg.be0bcd3ff150fec2826118bc9f4c44a5.jpeg

There are undoubtedly a few originals kicking about, as per the subject of this makeover project. The weathering was exceptionally heavy on one of the releases and that too will be addressed, as well as a replacement of a few items either missing from this model, or improving those fitted.

Cutting to the chase, for this release the wrong tender,  a BR1G was supplied fitted to locomotives on these two models. These models should have been supplied with the BR1 tender fitted. 

In the video above the relatively easy back conversion to a BR1 from the BR1G is shown. The reason for modifying the tender is that I want a Central Wales line example and some of the first 50 locomotives regularly operated that route. The locomotive body and cab is correct for one of those first forty nine. You often hear or read mention of the cab being wrong, or the wrong shape, but it isn’t. All those years ago Bachmann got it right, and it still holds up well today, but with a little TLC it can look really special. That’s what I’m aiming for.

Edited by PMP
Correction
  • Like 8

The first 50, (Not 49)  73000 to 73049 had the BR1 tender  then 73050 on had the modified cab with no rear handrail and later tenders.      My big beef with my Bachmann std 5 is its's so slow,  top speed is barely a scale 60.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Informative/Useful 1
  • Funny 1

• RMweb Premium
13 hours ago, DCB said:

The first 50, (Not 49)  73000 to 73049 had the BR1 tender  then 73050 on had the modified cab with no rear handrail and later tenders.      My big beef with my Bachmann std 5 is its's so slow,  top speed is barely a scale 60.

I always forget to include 0 😂 

This example I think has seen a bit of action, runs well and pulls ok. Hope to get next steps underway in the next week as a few bits to come from Alan Gibson to give it that ‘lift’. I don’t anticipate mine running extensively at ‘high’ speeds so the top end hasn’t been a notable issue for me.

• Like 1

It's the fact so many sit in boxes and display cabinets which is the real problem as it puts performance too far down the manufacturers check list and slow running the gold standard when performance is considered. 

• Agree 1
  • Interesting/Thought-provoking 1

• 5 weeks later...
  • RMweb Premium

D9578AAB-87BB-4599-AAA2-20DA50197099.jpeg.fff28810c5c9f4f24263c2879c904943.jpeg

Part way through the conversion, the tender has been converted to a BR1, and replacement bogie wheels fitted. Next stages will be replacing the chimney, smoke box dart, AWS equipment and coupling rods. Then on to the cosmetic refurbishment.

• Like 5

On 13/01/2024 at 02:01, DCB said:

My big beef with my Bachmann std 5 is it's so slow,  top speed is barely a scale 60.

40:1 reduction, and not enough weight on the coupled wheels for traction due to poor weight distribution and excess springing on the bogie, so it slips even without a load, means that it isn't able to achieve express speed. All fixable and much discussed on this and other sites in time past, a google search will turn up the 'how to'.

My own  beef relates to this; as first released - and it may still be so - a third hand is helpful when replacing the mechanism in the body; one each to hold body and mechanism, and the third to hold flexible detail on the body underside 'open' to allow the body in...

But all the above resulted in some very large discounts, and I hacked several mechanisms to power ancient V2 bodies which had worn out their split chassis mechanisms. (With a load of weight balanced above the centre of the coupled wheelbase these performed, nothing wrong with the motor.)

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
12 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

40:1 reduction, and not enough weight on the coupled wheels for traction due to poor weight distribution and excess springing on the bogie, so it slips even without a load, means that it isn't able to achieve express speed. All fixable and much discussed on this and other sites in time past, a google search will turn up the 'how to'.

My own  beef relates to this; as first released - and it may still be so - a third hand is helpful when replacing the mechanism in the body; one each to hold body and mechanism, and the third to hold flexible detail on the body underside 'open' to allow the body in...

But all the above resulted in some very large discounts, and I hacked several mechanisms to power ancient V2 bodies which had worn out their split chassis mechanisms. (With a load of weight balanced above the centre of the coupled wheelbase these performed, nothing wrong with the motor.)

While not doubting you may have had a poorly assembled version, here’s the subject model starting a 500g load on a 3% grade.

When assembled correctly these models are quite capable of normal RTR performance as evident from above. Online reviews are notable by their lack of comments regarding performance. I’ve also had the body off this week in preparation for further video content, and found no issues in putting it back on, just two screws and align the motion bracket with the mounting slot.  I support the model held upside down in Ye olde Peco foam locomotive cradle. Way simpler and easier than many contemporary designs of steam or D&E outline. I also don’t recall these being discounted by any significant margin over other models in the  bargain basement years of the late noughties. 

Edited by PMP
  • Like 4
  • Informative/Useful 3

• RMweb Premium
17 hours ago, Mallard60022 said:

I'm sure you have, or will check the Whistle position.

I CBA to check, as you know I am the most lazy ar$e in creation.

Phil

I have indeed checked sir! 😎, and for the locomotive I’m doing it is correct. Perhaps when it’s done if I throw a chip in it, we could whizz it round your train set?

• Friendly/supportive 1

1 hour ago, PMP said:

...these models are quite capable of normal RTR performance as evident from above. Online reviews are notable by their lack of comments regarding performance. I’ve also had the body off this week in preparation for further video content, and found no issues in putting it back on, just two screws and align the motion bracket with the mounting slot.  I support the model held upside down in Ye olde Peco foam locomotive cradle. Way simpler and easier than many contemporary designs of steam or D&E outline...

That's all good news, I suspect it has had design revisions since the earlier batches: the only one on exterior view on your example is the absence of the speedo drive. And go to the current diagram and it is also evident that the large plastic box forward on the chassis in the original version is now also absent. The handwritten jotting of 'Terry' in 2008 may indicate when this was looked at.

https://Bachmann-spares.co.uk/file/5mt.PDF

Mine were purchased 2001 - 2004 and all alike poor for traction and maximum speed as supplied. Of members on ur- RMweb whom I recollect worked on the originals, Tim Easter is still around. Once adjusted they performed well, nothing wrong with the drive train, just the lack of weight on the coupled wheels to make use of it on those early versions.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium
2 hours ago, 34theletterbetweenB&D said:

That's all good news, I suspect it has had design revisions since the earlier batches: the only one on exterior view on your example is the absence of the speedo drive. 

The speedo drive on mine is broken, I have a replacement to fit as part of the refurbishment. From memory my chassis looks the same as the illustrated spares sheet, I’ll cross check it when I do the chimney replacement.

• RMweb Premium

C960EF56-8E2E-46E7-8E3E-643413EAC890.jpeg.5379eff36ae6c1ebaaf2a973b7ee7cca.jpeg

The chassis and body on this model are exactly as per the service sheet, so this is a Mk1 if there’s subsequent changes. I suspect there’s an error/omission on the linked service sheet. The motor bearing cover which is immediately in front of the motor isn’t shown, but the fixings for it are, and it’s available as a spare.

• Informative/Useful 1

• RMweb Premium

CA97E8DD-8699-4346-B252-B03DED936C68.jpeg.f9fdecd4a4a281c48efa45c065b1bc79.jpeg

The next batch of improvements have been completed, the bogie wheels swapped out for Alan Gibson replacements, and the damaged chimney as well. 

The techniques of course aren’t solely applicable to this conversion, they can be used for other prototypes as I’ve done before, like below with Bachmann’s 4575 prairie tank.

BE1C5B0F-05EB-4C64-91B0-37A109B326A1.jpeg.f8002d774ecf0c223a508454c4c4fa5d.jpeg

• Like 1